Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hardcore Games/Limited Distribution

mytgroo

Scholar
Both Evil Islands and Kult: Heretic Kingdoms had limited distributiion in the United States. They were designed to appeal to fairly hardcore RPG gamers. Are there any other more hardcore games with limited distribution out there that you can think of. I am looking for some interesting not necessarily popular games to play.

Um, Kult is hardcore? Since when? It's your basic slay everything with a red outline action "RPG". There were like 3 choices to make in the whole game. Don't really know what exactly you're asking for here. Sacred and Divine Divinity are a lot like Kult if you're looking for generic European chop-em-ups.

Twinfalls

Erudite
003073_21.jpg

MacReady: I know I'm human. And if you were all these things, then you'd just attack me right now, so some of you are still human. This thing doesn't want to show itself, it wants to hide inside an imitation. It'll fight if it has to, but it's vulnerable out in the open. If it takes us over, then it has no more enemies, nobody left to kill it. And then it's won.

Dhruin

Liturgist
Divine Divinity is not a "generic European chop-em-up" that should be grouped with Sacred. Kult probably shouldn't be grouped with Sacred either.

mytgroo

Scholar
I am looking for decent games that failed in their marketing

I am looking for good games that failed in their marketing. Things which you have to dig for to find. Another example might be Etrom the Astral Essence. The kind of game that is decent has a focused audience but not huge distribution. In other words the games that are good but failed to market properly. New stuff to play. I am getting bored with the games that are currently available.

I hated the demo of divine divinity. I tried Sacred while it was fun for a while, it became too easy if you were systematic about killing your enemies. Sacred was not a challenge.

No I am not a guerrilla marketer. However, I am interested in the business sense with online distribution of downloadable stuff like games, audiobooks, and downloadable online content. I don't have anything to sell you.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
You seem more of an Action RPGer, so Space Hack maybe? Harbinger? Fate? I haven't played any of them, but Fate got mostly positive reviews from people here while the other seemed to be mediocre.

mytgroo

Scholar
A few thoughts.

Fate was pretty good. Very entertaining lots of action. However, there was very little roleplaying and not much of a storyline. The fishing part was the best part of the game.

Spacehack for some reason wouldn't work on my machine. I am trying out Harbinger right now.

Any other suggestions.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Dhruin said:
Divine Divinity is not a "generic European chop-em-up" that should be grouped with Sacred. Kult probably shouldn't be grouped with Sacred either.

Agreed, but not for the reasons you're thinking. The main reason you shouldn't group Sacred with the other two is because Sacred didn't suck. :)

Re: A few thoughts.

Dhruin said:

Why not? It's all the exact same gameplay, Sacred just had more simplistic dia-, err, monologues to break up the grind. And as SP mentioned the grind was a bit more fun.

mytgroo said:
I am trying out Harbinger right now.

Just shoot yourself now. It will save you the trouble later.

SanguinePenguin

Scholar
I played through Harbinger quite a while ago. What was so bad about it? I remember it had a pretty good art style and alien design, and a fairly interesting setup, everything else is just standard hack and slash affair. Then again I remember Pirates of Dark Water as a good show and WBC de-lurked to put it down twice so maybe I'm just looking at it with rose tinted glasses.

I heard Sacred's pretty bad about shuffling you towards specific types of weapons by making a few adequate and the rest crappy, as in anything that's not a sword or regular bow. Is this wrong?

Been through Divine Divinity 2 and I remember it being pretty tough in spots especially in the beginning and later towards the end, I've seen the original at retail, however. What are the differences?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Space Hack, although repetitive, managed to invoke the "Diablo meets Alien Breed" feeling. The atmosphere was very good, although the game was way too long.

And I don't know about DivDiv's demo, but the game really improves after the inital catacumbs.

edit: and there's no such thing as "Divine Divinity 2".

FrancoTAU

Cipher
-Oh actually, Konung 1 and 2. I actually did play these after i found it in the bargain bins for 5 bucks. Awful shit.
-Odium was a mediocre railroad TB RPG. Combat wasn't too bad, but the rest of the game is a linear adventure game.
-Prince of Qin is actually pretty decent.

I'll just toss out a bunch of ones I'm pretty sure are awful, but have never actually played.

-Heath - another bad Diablo clone
-Another War - WW2 RPG that was a bad Polish port?
-Battle Mages
-Blade & Sword
-Neurohunter
-Gorasul - Awful Infinity Engine clone
-Grom
-Shadowflare - bad Japanese Diablo clone

SanguinePenguin

Scholar
Elwro said:
Space Hack, although repetitive, managed to invoke the "Diablo meets Alien Breed" feeling. The atmosphere was very good, although the game was way too long.

And I don't know about DivDiv's demo, but the game really improves after the inital catacumbs.

edit: and there's no such thing as "Divine Divinity 2".

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/beyonddi ... index.html

Of course you might just have had a poor view of it ,i.e. "this game is dead to me." But, really I can't tell your meaning.

mytgroo

Scholar
Keep trying.

How about some party based limited distribution hardcore games with lots of roleplaying. What an amazing bunch of really bad games....

SanguinePenguin

Scholar
Elwro said:
SanguinePenguin said:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/beyonddi ... index.html
Of course you might just have had a poor view of it ,i.e. "this game is dead to me." But, really I can't tell your meaning.
Beyond Divinity is not Divine Divinity 2. The sequel to DivDiv is in the making now.

So "not a sequel" in that it's significantly different somehow? In which case my original question still stands...it does however say the word "sequel" in the review. Although, the Grand Theft Autos use this naming convention, GTA Vice City and San Andreas are sequels to GTA III and while the in house name for the next one (AFAIK) is GTA IV I've seen them referred to as IV and V respectively, and in either case no one denies they're sequels. I don't see how it could possibly be such a big deal until "Divine Divinity 2" (which there's no such thing? hohoho :D ) was out then it'd just be a minor name fuxxoring.

LCJr.

Erudite
I agree Prince of Qin is pretty good ARPG with a fair amount of roleplaying. http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=29
Thanks in no part to the demo and Objects marketing it got a pretty edit>BAD<edit rap. Either people avoided it because they thought it was Diablo clone. And the Diablo fans who bought didn't like it because it wasn't a Diablo clone.

Seal of Evil or Sacred didn't do much for me though. Both seemed overly scaled/leveled. Sacred held my attention for a little bit then got dull, As long as you spent your points "right", set up a few combos and stayed on top of the equipment curve it was pretty much mindless slaughter. Seal of Evil didn't even hold my attention as long as Sacred did. Combat in it was just dull as you slowly beat each enemy to death without feeling much risk. Even though Prince of Qin is scaled/leveled some creatures were more of a challenge than others like the Shanyi.

suibhne

Erudite
SanguinePenguin said:
Elwro said:
Beyond Divinity is not Divine Divinity 2. The sequel to DivDiv is in the making now.

So "not a sequel" in that it's significantly different somehow?

Please re-read his message. "Divine Divinity 2" is in development now; "Beyond Divinity" may have been a sequel of sorts, but it's not the sequel called "Divine Divinity 2", which is in development now.

Full stop. :wink:

SanguinePenguin

Scholar
Well it took longer than I thought it would, hehe, but I guess I'll start looking for the original then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom