Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Waiting for the incline is killing me

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
10 years? Do you not understand how many games you could play in that time? Let's say you play 12 hours a day for 10 years. If an average game took 20 hours you would finish over 2000 games.

Even during my stretches of unemployment, the house completely empty while my wife works and we have no kids, I still could never play video games for 12 hours a day. I mean jesus...

Declinator

Arbiter
10 years? Do you not understand how many games you could play in that time? Let's say you play 12 hours a day for 10 years. If an average game took 20 hours you would finish over 2000 games.
Some of us have actual jobs you know?:retarded:

He specifically said:

I don't understand you people. There's so many good games out there. If I could freeze time for everyone by myself for 10 years, and do nothing but play games in those 10 years, I would not run out of games to play.

Racing games peaked with Street Racer and Mario Kart SNES.

Unless you mean Realistic Driving Simulators.

Yes, I mean the more realistic racing games as you probably knew.

garren

Arcane
Patron
I researched some old games while trying to find something to play, found Darkness Within 2 (thanks codex), pretty good so far. Fuck that elevator puzzle though, took me like two hours because the directions weren't clear enough for me.

Also I've yet to play Jagged Alliance 2, I can't make up my mind what kind of mercenary I should make and what guys to hire, equipment to get etc. Had the same problem with Icewind Dale games, took a long time before I could decide what kind of party to make because it must be PERFECT (well, to me anyways).

Should I play JA2 with the hardest setting? Don't mind a challenge (unless its murderous). And no I won't install 1.13, I want to play vanilla on the first playthrough.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Even during my stretches of unemployment, the house completely empty while my wife works and we have no kids, I still could never play video games for 12 hours a day. I mean jesus...
Yeah, I can barely play 2 hours these days without get sick. Maybe wasteland 2 will change that.:P

circ

Arcane
Should I play JA2 with the hardest setting? Don't mind a challenge (unless its murderous). And no I won't install 1.13, I want to play vanilla on the first playthrough.
Maybe start easy and turn up the difficulty if it's too easy. You'll find it pretty challenging even at Drassen airport because some of you guys will at most just have .38's - as a first time player.

Flacracker

Educated
The main game you forgot here was Underrail. Just buy the alpha for $10 and that'll hold you over until something else comes out.

Yeah I didn't know about this game. It looks pretty damn good. How much content is in the alpha? Like I said before I don't want to start the story and not be able to finish it.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The main game you forgot here was Underrail. Just buy the alpha for $10 and that'll hold you over until something else comes out.

Yeah I didn't know about this game. It looks pretty damn good. How much content is in the alpha? Like I said before I don't want to start the story and not be able to finish it.

Ah, yeah, you can't finish the story yet, but I played about 40 hours from just playing what was there over and over with different builds. It was quite a bargain for $10.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Also I've yet to play Jagged Alliance 2, I can't make up my mind what kind of mercenary I should make and what guys to hire, equipment to get etc. Had the same problem with Icewind Dale games, took a long time before I could decide what kind of party to make because it must be PERFECT (well, to me anyways).

For the first playthrough I'd probably suggest going with Experienced. On Expert the AI becomes more or less superhuman. Try to avoid saving during battles (not sure if I'd suggest the Iron Man option for first-timers, though), accept that you may lose some of your mercs at some point, and you should have a good time.

As for your merc, specializing in one or two things might be a good idea as a jack of all trades ends up becoming pretty useless pretty fast. Don't try to make a "perfect party" at first because you can't afford it anyway. You start with a handful of guys and end up with 18, and before you get to that point you'll get a pretty good idea of who you really want to hold on to and who is expendable.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao

2000 good games? Either you have no standards or you're overestimating radically. You'd more likely run out of good games to play after the first month or two.
Last year I played three games: Mount and blade, Titan quest and Space rangers 2. A (very) conservative estimate would be that I clocked 200 hours in those games. When I was a younger man, I spent a whole school holiday playing Master of orion and doing pretty much nothing else. God knows how many hours I spent playing Shogun: Total war.

I still haven't played a lot of the classics. I've never played Pirates, or Deus ex or System shock, or the Thief games, or the Jagged alliance games, or any Ultima other than VII part 1. This list goes on and on. A lot of the games I have already invested tens of hours of my time could entertain me for hours more: I spent many tens of hours on TIE Fighter, and I never really got the highest scores or did everything you could do in the missions, I still need to sink another hundred hours or so into Civilization IV before I can claim mastery of it like I once had for Civilization II. I have a hundred more theme parks to build in Roller coaster tycoon.

Right now I'm going through the Fire emblem series, I've half finished one game (only on normal, not really S rank for every mission) and am about one tenth of the way through the other, and I've already spent 50 hours or so. Just these two games will probably keep me busy for the rest of the year as it is.

I really do think I have a backlog of a very, very entertaining 10 years of non-stop gaming.

NewFag

Educated
Lets all go on a nostalgia trip. When I was in high school I used to game 14-16 hours on weekends, and at least 12+ on school days. But I had a case of burnout by the time I hit 16. As I got older, modern gaming eventually lost its charm. As I hit my 20s, I discovered many of the 'Codex Classics', and went through them slowly, probably a few hours per week. I've reached an age where I can appreciate games that I used to deem "looks shit, skip it" in my youth. Nowadays depending on my mood and schedule, I game anywhere from 5 hours per week to 5 hours per few months. And I'm not even that old.

Name

Cipher
Given the mixed judgement upon Shadowrun Returns, the publisher standoff of Chaos Chronicles, and the delay of Wasteland 2, I guess the Age of Incline will have to start in 2014?
Unless the beta of Wasteland 2 comes out as planned in October and it's awesome.
Which will make 2013 the Year of Beta Incline.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Given the mixed judgement upon Shadowrun Returns, the publisher standoff of Chaos Chronicles, and the delay of Wasteland 2, I guess the Age of Incline will have to start in 2014?
Unless the beta of Wasteland 2 comes out as planned in October and it's awesome.

Divinity: Original Sin might come out this year, I suppose.

Also this thread is stupid

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

I suggest Experienced. Even if it can be hard at the beginning it's balanced and the game can still get quite hard later on.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Starbound should add to the Betacline, if that ever comes out. To be honest, I prefered the old days before the hype machines, the internets and the Kickstarter/pre-order era, when you'd just walk into a shop and see a new game there. No bullshit about waiting forever and ending up disappointed anyway like now.

Burning Bridges

Chaos Chronicles
Shadowrun Returns

Wasteland 2
Underrail
Dead State
Project Eternity
Divinity: Original Sin

Torment ca 2015
Age of Decadence ca 2025

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't understand you people. There's so many good games out there. If I could freeze time for everyone by myself for 10 years, and do nothing but play games in those 10 years, I would not run out of games to play.
:killit:
:killit:

He's actually right. There is a shitload of great games to play at the moment, if you don't restrict yourself to playing only RPGs, that is.
I'm really happy all those :incline: games are not coming out too soon. I simply wouldn't have the time to play them with all the other games currently on my to-do list.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Really can't agree here.

At the moment I'm playing:
Shadowrun Returns
Sleeping Dogs (actually a much better GTA clone than I thought)
Crusader Kings II

On my near future to-do list is:
Expeditions: Conquistador
Papers Please
Arcanum (Time for a replay, didn't have one this year)
Metro: Last Light

And with at the moment I mean after I'm finished working so stop distracting me!

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
The amount of good games out there certainly won't keep you busy for 10 years though. Maybe 6 months, if you're generous.

Declinator

Arbiter
He's actually right. There is a shitload of great games to play at the moment, if you don't restrict yourself to playing only RPGs, that is.

Such as:

Don't get me wrong, the Situation has improved from the bleak '00 decade, but the glorious days of the 80s and 90s are a long shot off still.

Glorious days of the 80s? I can see the 90s being glorious days but the 80s? Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds...and? Wasteland, early Wizardries, Ultima? Maybe platforming was experiencing its heyday but is there something else to the 80s?

Burning Bridges

Ehm, what do you expect? In the 80s most people played on a C-64. There were thousands of new games to play, you could play a dozen per day, and Defender of the Crown was the equivalent of an AAA+ game.

It was pure incline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom