Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Larian's Dragon Commander - Released

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
I get it, but doesn't it make the whole "choose your race" thing redundant in skirmish mode?

You choose a race? Then the wording is wrong. You choose a dragon type and a faction. Never a race.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
What is the difference between each kind of dragon? I couldn't find it in the manual.

The manual has a couple of errors here and there too, mostly no hyperlinking in the index and no space after a point in some unit descriptions.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I heavily support the continuous creation queue. The most suited for this game would be making a 5 unit cycle instead of a single unit repeated, so every cycle you get that 5 unit mix in that order instead of the same one all the time.

And please, a camera reset button and a toogleable in gameplay options to be autocasted whenever you leave dragon form.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
What is the difference between each kind of dragon? I couldn't find it in the manual.

The manual has a couple of errors here and there too, mostly no hyperlinking in the index and no space after a point in some unit descriptions.
As far as I can tell, the azure dragon is more of a support thing. The mountain and blade ones are more balanced between offense/support.

Oh and +1 to default camera position hotkey. I like the dragon appearing seamlessly, but the camera is never where you want it when you leave dragon form.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
More stuff: you cannot select units behind the top left scoreboard.

Default colors for player and AI 3 are too similar to be colorblind-friendly.

Insane AI cheats, right? I would rename it to "Cheater". Not many companies have done this before but it gives a better perception of what you're in against. A player turning the noch up to that level either is too good for the AI to handle or feels like being challenged. In the former it doesn't matter, in the latter it helps the player feel less cheated when he gets rushdown with ~100 recruits worth of units in the first 60 seconds of the game because he knew the computer player *will* be cheating.

And this is a personal question: why are you including cmake configuration files and source code for the AI? Mistake? I'm peeking at your beautifuru code ;)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Wow, the game is very intense, I get now why people ask for the continuous creation queue, and gotta say I wish the same. The whole game feels very fast paced, is there any chance for changing combat speed, like in Starcraft 2? I know it would probably make dragons more powerful, but I think players that aren't that good at RTS will appreciate it...

Going straight into skirmish will all the upgrades is really a lot to learn at once, my first attempt not only was a massive fail, but the AI marched into my base and built defense turrets on my turret areas (that I didn't noticed until then:oops:).

And damn, blasting enemies with the dragon is REALLY fun, I hope someone makes a Panzer Dragon mod or something later. :P

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
Those with beta, could you play mp together instead of always trying vs AI? Or should we make a beta Steam group so it's easier to see who's online?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Make a beta group because the times I tried to find someone the lobby was empty.

I can't play this week monday to wednesday, but thursday any time!!

Black_Willow

Arcane
I get it, but doesn't it make the whole "choose your race" thing redundant in skirmish mode?

You choose a race? Then the wording is wrong. You choose a dragon type and a faction. Never a race.
Sorry, I used word "race" interchangibly with "faction". What I mean is: why let the player choose the faction in skirmish mode if it doesn't affect anything and everyone plays the "generic" faction with all units and upgrade options?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'd make this post on the beta forum if it existed, but it does not, so now its public :M

Played a few games with felipepepe, including a 2v2 against ai. Noticed a couple of weird things, like the ai patrolling with a bunch of units on far side of the map where nothing was going on and also that the chat seems to cut off after 20 characters. There was also a desync right when I fired an imp nuke.

Noticed that my anti air units could not attack enemy warlocks, because they fly to low so don't actually count as air units. Not entirely intuitive. I feel like I need to learn to research and use the active abilities of the ground infantry, because without it they seem largely useless outside of the earlygame.

Dragon is fairly strong, but most of the active abilities don't seem to do much except for the breath modifiers. That might just be my untrained eye though. Seems to be a massive advantage to the player who goes dragon last since you can do a lot of damage to the enemy by ambushing him.

The unit models are pretty when you take the time to zoom in close.

Edit: Oh and it would be cooled if devastators displayed an effective radius when you mouseovered the deploy ability. Also it seems you can do some animation canceling with them since it seems they only do the 'slowly aim gun upwards' animation the first time you deploy them.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, managing all those upgrades and still keeping a production line going and flying the Dragon is pretty demanding... anyway, some images from our epic clash:

In-game chat cuts the text very short:

umMchqOh.jpg

The AI kept "patrolling" this area when we played 2x2:

rqg8t7q.jpg

Our desynch, just as I clearly was about to win:

G4BA7Msh.jpg

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
The patrolling bug I can confirm. It's the same we saw on the update video, where an AI will go back and forth in an unimportant area.

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
If you play MP just go 1vs1. Although I like all the AI reports and I'm sure there's some Larians that will like them.

I was wondering if the units in skirmish would have all upgrades, but apparently they don't. I don't know if that's the idea.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
If you play MP just go 1vs1. Although I like all the AI reports and I'm sure there's some Larians that will like them.

I was wondering if the units in skirmish would have all upgrades, but apparently they don't. I don't know if that's the idea.
As far as I can tell you can research all the upgrades in skirmish. Not all the dragon upgrades feature though.

A steam groups sounds like a good idea.

ForkTong

Larian Studios
Developer
Wouldn't it be handier to have one group everyone can join instead of a Codex specific one? If I'm gonna invite all the beta guys to that Codex group, I'm not sure if they're all :obviously: enough for your tastes.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Wouldn't it be handier to have one group everyone can join instead of a Codex specific one? If I'm gonna invite all the beta guys to that Codex group, I'm not sure if they're all :obviously: enough for your tastes.

Sounds pretty sensible. The group is already public. Are you wiersba08? I can officer you, leave and rejoin. That should transfer group ownership over to you.

Or if you want to shed the dragoncodex/lariancodex tag/link, just make a new one and link it here. We can dissolve the other one.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I cannot into potato :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom