Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chaos Engine Remake

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
2 months 'till release and no gameplay footage to show?

Not exactly inspiring confidence.

Visbhume

Prophet
I'm old and remember this game.​
Thread needs the original intro/music:​

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
16481.jpg

Jashiin

Arcane
Great music too. Supposedly one of the bitmaps has an advisory role so who knows.

Sodafish

Arcane
I used to play this when I was a nipper. The Speedball games too (single nostalgia tear).

Kirtai

Augur
I used to play this when I was a nipper. The Speedball games too (single nostalgia tear).

I only had Speedball 2 for the Amiga but I can still hear that vendor saying "Icecream! Icecream" during downtime. It haunts me.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Runs unbelievably slow on a lot of systems including mine, online co-op is also very laggy. (only the steam version has online play)

There are no options to speak of, "enhanced" graphics look terrible.

Unless they fix the performance and the online issues there is zero reason to play this.

thechaosengine-remastr5aj4.jpg

Performance on i7...

Last edited:

Multi-headed Cow

14 FPS, oh man. That's some impressive levels of dumbfuckery. How the hell did they get away with that?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
As I wrote in another thread, the graphics are from the AGA (A1200) version, and while they have more colour over the OCS (A500) version, they give the game a very cartoony look that I find garish. I also do not know how the musics compare to the original but from the various videos it appears that they reworked them and I'm not fond of how they sound. While I'm glad to see this old classic (that I only started to play recently) given a second life, it could have been done better in light of the various performance problems that plague it.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It is a PC game, any surprise there?

Wait and see then.

As I wrote in another thread, the graphics are from the AGA (A1200) version, and while they have more colour over the OCS (A500) version, they give the game a very cartoony look that I find garish. I also do not know how the musics compare to the original but from the various videos it appears that they reworked them and I'm not fond of how they sound. While I'm glad to see this old classic (that I only started to play recently) given a second life, it could have been done better in light of the various performance problems that plague it.

Hmm?

• Play in ‘Enhanced mode’ or ‘Classic mode’ with its original graphics and controls for the true Amiga experience.

piydek

Cipher
On the videos I've seen the scrolling jerkiness is also completely intolerable. This almost brings back to mind the old Amiga vs PC situation at the beginning of 90s where PC versions of arcade-y games all had terrible, blocky, jerky, epilepsy-inducing scrolling while Amiga versions were smooth as fuck.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
  • Play in ‘Enhanced mode’ or ‘Classic mode’ with its original graphics and controls for the true Amiga experience.

I read about the Classic mode but I couldn't find much information about it or comparisons with the Enhanced mode.

Edit: reading a bit about it, it appears that the Enhanced mode is what causes the poor performance for many people and it doesn't change the colours but offers some filter effect, so my guess is that the game is based off the AGA version and that's it.

Last edited:

Jashiin

Arcane
How the fuck can they mess this up. Even ikea tables have more processing power these days than my beloved amiga had, pc's these days have more processing power than all computers combined back then. Will use the bay's version for a testdrive.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Yeah, AGA graphics are actually worse than the OCS even though they have more colours, I can't believe how Bitmap Brothers fucked them up when the original was done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom