Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Trent in Trouble: Beamdog forbidden from selling and patching BG:EE, BG2:EE on "indefinite hold"

Dexter

Arcane
This is exactly like him blaming Bioware for "losing" the art assets. Just like with that (please link me a correction if Bioware ever manned up and confirmed it), only one side is telling this story.
There were some more details on that here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/190432/postmortem_overhaul_games_.php?print=1

Frankly I think EA fucked Trent on that one. BioWare probably reported that there was some tard trying to leech off art assets off them to corporate and they were probably like: "Let me get this straight, there's some guy that wants us to give him the art assets to one of your games, for free so that a competitor can make money with it? LOL fuck that loser, tell him all data was lost."
:smug:

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
It's just an unwarranted level of rage.

Why? I can't think of much worse hackjobs in the entire industry. The Codex rages over much less than someone who takes a glorious opportunity and turns it into one of the biggest cash-grab and worthless releases of the year, splitting the modding community during it all.

"It's common for the Codex to have even more unwarranted rage" isn't really a persuasive point of view.

But yeah. I dunno why this is my battleground for "how bout we be more civil on the internet." Carry on.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There were some more details on that here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/190432/postmortem_overhaul_games_.php?print=1

Frankly I think EA fucked Trent on that one. BioWare probably reported that there was some tard trying to leech off art assets off them to corporate and they were probably like: "Let me get this straight, there's some guy that wants us to give him the art assets to one of your games, for free so that a competitor can make money with it? LOL fuck that loser, tell him all data was lost."

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I dunno why this is my battleground for "how bout we be more civil on the internet."

"How about we be more civil just because lol" isn't really a persuasive point of view either.

Hacks like Troster deserve what they get. Why exactly would we be "civil" regarding him?

waywardOne

Arcane
This is exactly like him blaming Bioware for "losing" the art assets. Just like with that (please link me a correction if Bioware ever manned up and confirmed it), only one side is telling this story.

That's still only Trent's word of what happened. He added a few more details to enhance the plausibility, but we know it's still bullshit.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
Yeah fuck Oster. I paid 20$ for a working multiplayer bg. What i got was a more buggy bg than when it was released back in the 90s. It fucking crashed when you changed map or rested at an inn!!!! How can this pass quality testers???
Fuck that entire company.
And then they had the gall to ask people who bought it in steam also to buy the same game from steam to "support them" due to their shitty negotiation skills.
One of the worst companies i've seen for quite some time. Imagine their behavior in a power position like EAs?

Kirtai

Augur
I'm just thinking of what the GemRB people could have done with access to an engine source release...:mad:

waywardOne

Arcane
I'm just thinking of what the GemRB people could have done with access to an engine source release...:mad:
Considering some of them willingly spread their ass cheeks to help Beamdog, my guess is: not much.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
What is the point of BG: EE if you can't even install BG Unfinished Business? BG Trilogy is MUCH more friendly to the user. the only downside I can think of is WeIDU mechanics where it rechecks every mod you installed that may become a little annoying when you install a lot of extensive modifications.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
The whole reason BG:EE even exists is because beamdog just wanted to capitalize on the iPad platform. Chances were that anyone using the iPad as a gaming platform, had never played BG in the first place, so they figured they could rake in the cash.

For people, maybe. For corporations like EA stupidity is only a convenient excuse every time they are caught being malicious.

Stabwound

Arcane
In a post on RockPaperShotgun published yesterday, Trent added:

As a result, the team hasn’t given up on Baldur’s Gate III, but the road to the pie-in-the-sky sequel just got a whole, whole lot rockier.​

“Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition is on indefinite hold, as is the current patch,” said Oster. “Baldur’s Gate III, we are still interested in the concept, but currently I’d say were very demoralized.”​
NO. Fuck you, asshole. I know he's been hmming and hawing over "BG3" but if they were serious considering it and in negotiations for it, fuck him. People don't understand what's happening here. Trent stuck his AIDS-infected cock right up the asshole of the BG franchise, and its going to be tarnished for a long time now. There's no way of knowing whether or not a BG3 would be coming any time soon from the likes of Obsidian, iniXile, etc, but the possiblity was there. But no, Trent "Waterboy" Oster took it upon himself to deceive the world into thinking he was HD remastering the game, and look at the turd he passed and called "Enhanced". Let's be frank here: the first announcement of the game showed a very high-res redrawn Baldur's Gate skull logo. His company is known for actually remodeling/retexturing old games. And like someone mentioned, the story about Bioware mysteriously losing all of the art assets for one of their flagship titles seems extremely suspicious.

I admit they did a lot of under-the-hood work, but for what purpose? Let's be honest: this entire project was to release the game on iPad; they didnt really give 2 shits about the PC version. I simply don't believe a word that comes out of this fuck's mouth. He talks in roundabout ways, and to actually have the gall to talk about designing a BG3? Fuck him.

BG:EE was a monstrosity on every level. It seems as though it's still a vastly inferior product to the 15 year old game with the BGT mod, and that's just inexcusable.The incompetence of this team has reached comical levels, and I love it.

You know, I actually love BG:EE. It has been some of the greatest entertainment I've gotten out of a CRPG in years, and I didn't even play it. :incline: From the legal issues, to taking the blur filter to every area in the game, to the hilariously shitty "arena" minigame, the awful new NPCs, the destroyed cutscenes, the hundreds of new bugs introduced, the legal troubles and multiple times the game was rejected from the iTunes store, the fucking nerve to talk about designing a BG3, and now THIS. Holy shit, this is some entertainment of biblical proportions, boys.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

For people, maybe. For corporations like EA stupidity is only a convenient excuse every time they are caught being malicious.
Losing art assets sounds like a work of an individual.

Stabwound

Arcane
EDMONTON, ALBERTA - Beamdog and Overhaul Games proudly announce their newest side-company, Overhaul Art. The team is eager to bring the world enhanced editions of classic art pieces from all periods up to and including modern art.

Their first release, Mona Lisa: Enhanced Edition strives to modernize this classic art piece and bring it up to date with modern standards. In order to do so, Oster and team have devised a state-of-the-art computer algorithm to systematically enhance each art piece. Mona Lisa: Enhanced Edition is just the first of many classic art pieces the team plans to bring you over the years to come.

Overhaul Art is eager to bring these classic art pieces back to life on your mobile devices, too. Owners of Apple's iPad™ or any Android™ device will be thrilled to know that Mona Lisa: Enhanced Edition will be available for their platforms with a simutaneous release, barring any legal troubles that cause this to take months and months of delays to actually happen.

Mona Lisa: Enhanced Edition for PC, Mac OSX, iOS and Android is available exclusively through Beamdog and is priced at $19.99.

Visit www.monalisa.com and www.overhaulart.com for more information.

About Beamdog
Beamdog, headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, was founded in 2009 by lazy assholes Cameron Tofer and Trent Oster, who came up with the brilliant idea of selling other people's hard work and making money for doing virtually nothing. Beamdog is dedicated to recapturing the magic of the art we love and delivering them directly to the fans as fast and frequently as possible.
aZMuiRx.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
7/10, you forgot to mention restoring cut content/adding new, aka slapping a half-arsed grin on her face.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Who is Trent? Ah, the guy behind Baldurs Gate Blurry Edition. He will not make Baldurs Gate Blurry Edition 2? Okay... I'm going to return to my state of indifference with a little of pity then.:M

Angthoron

Arcane
EDMONTON, ALBERTA - Beamdog and Overhaul Games proudly announce their newest side-company, Overhaul Art. The team is eager to bring the world enhanced editions of classic art pieces from all periods up to and including modern art.

Their first release, Mona Lisa: Enhanced Edition strives to modernize this classic art piece and bring it up to date with modern standards. In order to do so, Oster and team have devised a state-of-the-art computer algorithm to systematically enhance each art piece. Mona Lisa: Enhanced Edition is just the first of many classic art pieces the team plans to bring you over the years to come.

Overhaul Art is eager to bring these classic art pieces back to life on your mobile devices, too. Owners of Apple's iPad™ or any Android™ device will be thrilled to know that Mona Lisa: Enhanced Edition will be available for their platforms with a simutaneous release, barring any legal troubles that cause this to take months and months of delays to actually happen.

Mona Lisa: Enhanced Edition for PC, Mac OSX, iOS and Android is available exclusively through Beamdog and is priced at $19.99.

Visit www.monalisa.com and www.overhaulart.com for more information.

About Beamdog
Beamdog, headquartered in Edmonton, Alberta, was founded in 2009 by lazy assholes Cameron Tofer and Trent Oster, who came up with the brilliant idea of selling other people's hard work and making money for doing virtually nothing. Beamdog is dedicated to recapturing the magic of the art we love and delivering them directly to the fans as fast and frequently as possible.
aZMuiRx.jpg
More like
psxjch2.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom