Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blood and Rust" as a spiritual heir to the Arcanum

Do you think that the spiritual heir of the Arcanum is a good idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Durwyn

Prophet
I'm just baffled how pitiful their cash record is at the moment. I always thought that the their closest family or friends would at least throw some cash in order to legitimize it, even if it is a scam. Mentioning Arcanum alone should bring them some dolla'.

fuzz

Liturgist
tshirt.png
cover_484855.jpg
I funded Blood and Rust and all I got was this stupid, fucking T-shirt.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
After a bit of research I conclude. It is a bullshit campaign done by completly unknown group of people with little to no experience in game design. They also spammed most of the major gaming sites on facebook with their "announcement".

The two guys I could connect to this project seem to be either some naive idealistic 20somethings or simply are trying to get as much cash as quickly as possible and then disappear.

Also, the English used by them is fucking atrocious.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Man this makes me feel sad. For various reasons.

I mean of course I'm hyped for all the coming Kickstarters and so on, but I wish not everything would always be "the spiritual successor for [A random IE-game/Arcanum/Fallout/M&M]" and so on. Arcanum for example, I love the shit out of that game because at the time and still to this day it feels like the sort of game where Tim Cain had a ingenious and original idea, a vision almost, that was a bit different to the typical fantasy-setting etc. I kind of hoped that with Kickstarter-hype, we would see a plethora of really interesting and original ideas for CRPGs, like, I don't know, ones where you play as a lich, or a demi-god or something. But no, instead we get these spiritual successors for every classic game possible.
Torment 2 sounds like an innovated game to me while being a "spiritual" successor to an old game. When's the last time you played as a discarded husk of a god?

And playing as a demi-god? What about the most popular IE games of all time, BG1 and 2? Maybe the problem here is what you decide is interesting and original vs what has actually existed.

Yes, I know, Thorvalla failed miserably. It's more secure fund these sort-of-sequals than really give money to people with new, untested ideas. And I don't blame people for that, I gave money to Torment as well. But what then when PE and Torment etc. has been released? I see it that people who really fund these games will then only hand out money to inXile and Obsidian and everyone associated with these companies and hope they have fresh ideas that could work out.
The stats say when a high dollar kickstarter is funded it actually increases pledges to the smaller projects running at the same time.
But no one will dare to give even 10 bucks to a more unknown project, especially when these people don't put effort into their efforts and show that you know, even if potential backers wouldn't believe in their project, they themselves would have faith in what they would be doing and willing to do sacrifices and honest work for their ideas.
Who is this "no one"? Have you been following kickstarter, have you pledged to the more "creative" projects? Because I have. Here's a some of the more obscure games I've pledged to.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warbirdgames/jack-houston-and-the-necronauts
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/simonroth/maia
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1599677835/unwritten-that-which-happened
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1719196889/iceblink-engine
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/568375735/cataclysm-dark-days-ahead-dedicated-developer

Not saying that there's no original ideas out there, right now, but I'm more afraid of where this Kickstarter-thing is really heading towards. Is this going to be just a sort of phase where people remake older games or am I going to someday play a game with all the lessons of the old learnt, but still having honestly surprising and fresh innovations? 's all I'm saying.
Instead of worrying about where kickstarter is headed, why not just contribute to the projects you find interesting? There are plenty of them. There not million dollar funding levels, but they are out there and being funded and made.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This thing blows my mind. Whether it is a scam r not, the creators live even more outside reality than me. And that's pretty fucking far out.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They are saying that this project is the successor of the SUPREME HIT Arcanum. In what universe was Arcanum a supreme hit? :D It's a cult classic, almost the opposite of supreme hit.

Jarakka

Learned
Man this makes me feel sad. For various reasons.

I mean of course I'm hyped for all the coming Kickstarters and so on, but I wish not everything would always be "the spiritual successor for [A random IE-game/Arcanum/Fallout/M&M]" and so on. Arcanum for example, I love the shit out of that game because at the time and still to this day it feels like the sort of game where Tim Cain had a ingenious and original idea, a vision almost, that was a bit different to the typical fantasy-setting etc. I kind of hoped that with Kickstarter-hype, we would see a plethora of really interesting and original ideas for CRPGs, like, I don't know, ones where you play as a lich, or a demi-god or something. But no, instead we get these spiritual successors for every classic game possible.
Torment 2 sounds like an innovated game to me while being a "spiritual" successor to an old game. When's the last time you played as a discarded husk of a god?

And playing as a demi-god? What about the most popular IE games of all time, BG1 and 2? Maybe the problem here is what you decide is interesting and original vs what has actually existed.

You become a demi-god more or less around ToB. I didn't feel like a demi-god when I was killing rats in Candlekeep. What I meant was more the stuff Ziets was talking about at some point, a sort of post-ToB campaign of a sort. And I give you that Numenera is a pretty interesting setting though and it's probably the Kickstarter I'm most anticipated for. But it's still Torment 2. I mean, it's hard to say right now what kind of games these Kickstarters are going to turn out, maybe they are way different than I'm expecting them to be in a good way. I'm just afraid that I'm going to have to play the same game over and over again, because people are too afraid to make riskier crowd-funding ideas.

Yes, I know, Thorvalla failed miserably. It's more secure fund these sort-of-sequals than really give money to people with new, untested ideas. And I don't blame people for that, I gave money to Torment as well. But what then when PE and Torment etc. has been released? I see it that people who really fund these games will then only hand out money to inXile and Obsidian and everyone associated with these companies and hope they have fresh ideas that could work out.
The stats say when a high dollar kickstarter is funded it actually increases pledges to the smaller projects running at the same time.

Alright, that's new info for me.

But no one will dare to give even 10 bucks to a more unknown project, especially when these people don't put effort into their efforts and show that you know, even if potential backers wouldn't believe in their project, they themselves would have faith in what they would be doing and willing to do sacrifices and honest work for their ideas.
Not saying that there's no original ideas out there, right now, but I'm more afraid of where this Kickstarter-thing is really heading towards. Is this going to be just a sort of phase where people remake older games or am I going to someday play a game with all the lessons of the old learnt, but still having honestly surprising and fresh innovations? 's all I'm saying.
Instead of worrying about where kickstarter is headed, why not just contribute to the projects you find interesting? There are plenty of them. There not million dollar funding levels, but they are out there and being funded and made.

Those are all fine-looking projects indeed, but they're not CRPGs. Except for the IceBlink Engine sort of. I am aware that there are a lot of adventure games that look awesome and I wouldn't mind backing them. And yes, I do back things I find interesting. But I can still speculate on how things are going to work out in the end, right?

Maybe I phrased that one sentence badly. Yes, if the project is well-presented and looks good overall, then someone is going to back them. But even if you do things well, you can still botch badly and we'll never know how good a game was potentially wasted. I know it's how things work, but I'm just hoping it doesn't become the standard. So that you can only make a successful Kickstarter in the future if you're Brian Fargo. It's not the case now, no, but I' hope it's not the future.

oscar

Arcane
for a start we would like to thank to the throng of loyal fans, who have contributed to the origin of our project. Your engagement was unnecessary to reach the current stage. Without you we didn`t manage to go so far. And without you we won`t achieve our common aim!

We also would like do encourage everybody to have a better look at our work, and in case it`s possible, to join the circle of people who will contribute to completion of the project.

3 people like this

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom