Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Announcement Bullshit Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Goddamn right.
I pray to the whores of Babylon it never changes.

Do I think games like PS:T, Morrowind, or even Magic Candle were better ? Absolutely. Does the fact that there exists better make another game shit ? No : fuck you. Anything you guys can say won't change the damn fact.

It's a constant source of irritation here and the reason I don't post for long periods of time. Basically the Codex cannot into gradient enjoyment scales.

Actually they can, they all played Fallout 3 for a hundred hours, they just declare it irredeemable and unenjoyable shit after the fact because something is either amazing or shit here, never in-between.

Now that's just another extreme of the "hivemind" meme, which is based on the wrong assumption that loudest voices = majority. Many played it a little (those who say they played 15 minutes before uninstalling in a rage were trying way too hard, though), some gave it a fair chance (and gave up as the game really doesn't have much going for it and outright sucks in some aspects; I know because I probably played it more than anyone else here, and actually like it despite its failings), others brag about never having played it after reading opinions on the codex (which I think it's sheepish behavior, but whatever). Many here are jaded and indifferent to shitty games nowadays, so I think most of the disgust comes from how FO3 "usurped" Van Buren's rightful place (even though VB was dead and buried long before Todd arrived on the scene). If it didn't carry the Fallout name, it would've probably been regarded as just another AAA game that got massively praised despite its mediocrity, and soon forgotten by the denizens of Codexia.

The thing is that the Codex still has the Fallout Fan Club mentality, where people of similar tastes gather to praise each other's excellent taste. Which creates very interesting discussions like in any gathering of passionate fans, but also often leads to circlejerking. It's how it is on IGN, it's how it is here.

Still,

Doesn't matter, though. Codex is Codex. Much more entertaining this way.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's a constant source of irritation here and the reason I don't post for long periods of time. Basically the Codex cannot into gradient enjoyment scales.

Actually they can, they all played Fallout 3 for a hundred hours, they just declare it irredeemable and unenjoyable shit after the fact because something is either amazing or shit here, never in-between.
It's not that, it's that we (or at least me and some others) think that Fallout 3 is truly shit. I quit playing it within 5 hours because I was literally offended by what had been presented to me that far into the game.

If you want to talk about games that I enjoyed, thought were OK, but not great? There's KoTOR, Dragon Age, KoTOR2 (which has the best companion conversations and poor everything else).

dextermorgan

Arcane
Bethesda's reskinned Oblivion is the most blatant case of franchise rape in recent memory, and because of that, and the abomination that was Oblivion, I wouldn't piss on Todd Howard if he was on fire.

Sure, some people can have fun with it, good for them I guess. I don't mind. The decline is indisputable however, and if calling it for what it is is too edgy for you then fuck you too.
It's not that, it's that we (or at least me and some others) think that Fallout 3 is truly shit. I quit playing it within 5 hours because I was literally offended by what had been presented to me that far into the game.
I actually played through the whole thing. If I hadn't known who was responsible for creating it (the wannabe Michael Bay of video games), I would have thought the developers were actually actively seeking to insult the player's intelligence every step of the way (or at least every step that included interacting with supposedly sentient creatures of the game world, that is).

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
If speaking history, I gave Fallout 3 a fair chance back in '08 and finished the fucker. Disappointed of course about the change in design, but I'm not of the school of thought that FPP RT RPG's are automatically shit (I liked Deus Ex, for example, and Morrowind to degree). But as with all Beth games after Morrowind (can't recall my initial reaction to it), the more you play, the more you hate it because they appear to promise so much initially and yet deliver so very little in the end - the further you go, the more it feels like running in a kneedeep swamp and once it's over, the feeling is "That's it? That's all there is?" Shit is shit.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I played it for a while, I'd imagine 10-15 hours or so, then I reached the village of children.... Then I left it. Returned to play 3 of the DLC's that came out. Never touched it again. The only reason I touched it to begin with was because I played NV first. Back then I didn't even realize the two were made by different companies. So my logic was NV is great!! So F3 has to be good too.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

This was my experience as well. Megaton alone is enough reason for anyone to want to uninstall that shit.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They all played Fallout 3 for a hundred hours, they just declare it irredeemable and unenjoyable shit after the fact
Sun Tzu's teachings demand this of us.

Seriously though, as one of these people, let me just say Bethesda titles are incredibly addictive.
undecaf is also absolutely spot on, they make a decent first impression, but it just gets worse and worse from then on out.

I did have some fun for the first few hours, an honest admission, but it started to get really annoying with constant crashes (probably clocked 1000), lackluster performance (usually 20-25FPS), and other technical issues.
Despite the issues, it also got increasingly boring, but I just kept going, trying to find something enjoyable and redeemable, I even finished all (5?) of the DLCs!
Also, fun fact, the Fallout 3 GotY Edition doesn't even run out of the box due to missing DLLs, and the only way to get those is to manually download and install GFWL.
At some point I started noticing the absence of agriculture, then the repetitive and lazy world building, then all un-looted containers started bothering me, then little lamplight + enclave + bigtown combination started bothering the fuck out of me; you get the idea, it's all downhill from there.

In hindsight I really should've just dropped it after an hour or two (I bet Ultima and M&M fanboys wish the same of their respective 9th instalments), it has changed me and not for the better.
But at least I borrowed my dad's copy rather than pay for it.

Among other things,
  1. Any positive comments about Fallout 3 (aside from modding support) makes my blood boil; I am unable to discuss what a piece of shit this is rationally without my emotions eventually seeping through full force.
  2. It turned me into a scaredy cat save-scummer (You try avoiding this after tolerating over 1000 crashes).
  3. I now absolutely detest and revile Bethesda and will never gain interact with their products, or those they publish (unless someone gives me one of the latter).
  4. Worst of all, it has ruined an entire genre for me, and to a lesser degree all of gaming - I could barely enjoy New Vegas for what it was (and I got burnt out halfway through the DLCs).
  5. But at least it led me to the Codex in 2009.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I never did finish the broken steel DLC, whoops.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Of course some people genuinely hated it and could get no enjoyment from it whatsoever. Of course all the Codex is not one hivemind of hipster hatred.

What I meant above was simply that most people here can't say "well Fallout 3 was disappointing but at least it's no Arcania." Or similar statements. The term "enjoyed it for what it was" gets a ton of hate here when honestly that's my experience with media in general nine times out of ten. Not every movie is Blade Runner and not every game is Fallout but I still need new movies and games to fuck around with when I want to escape for a bit.

Sorry, FO3 is bad and anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

I actually finished it, start to end, think I downloaded it soon after it was released. Codex didn't influence my opinion, I was still a lurker here at the time. Accompanied the FO3 deal a lot more on Vault BR site, was carefully optimistic, even.

Game started well, then became totally shit as it went on.
First came the intellectually insulting parts in Megaton and Arefu.
Then the boring cities and settlements - They basically exist so you can trade for bullets and stims when you're not questing, no truly interesting exploration.
Then balance goes to shit at around level 8 once you have something better than a Leather Armor and a shotgun, even a low EN character has so much HP bloat that you can fight and kill pretty much anything sort of Super Mutant Masters by simply standing there and unloading bullets at it.
Then I perceived VATS is essentially "I Win" mode: I remember winning fights because I went to VATS when the enemy fired rockets and such at me, then returned to normal after the attack finished.
Then I perceived the mechanics were total shit. Armor system too simple (DR no DT? Fuck you), magical stimpaks (even worse than in the original Fallout), food as magical healing items, no multiple-ammo system, HP bloat to hell, your stats barely meant shit, etc.

The main quest was annoying and linear as fuck (Vault 101 >>> Megaton >>> Three Dog/BOS >>> Rivet City >>> Water Purifier >>> Vault 82 >>> Water Purifier again (Enclave shows up lol) >>> The Citadel >>> Little Lamplight/Vault 89 >>> Raven Rock >>> The Citadel >>> Boring end-game sequence where a giant robot steals all your kills and makes any possible sense of archievements you could've derived from taking on the Enclave alone go away >>> The Purifier, no climatic end-boss and this time 1000% more retarded.

The story and setting may seem good at first, but it quickly becomes brain-insulting. Why it looks like the war ended a few years ago? Why the Overseer is a totalitarian maniac? How come Vault 101 hans't been raided yet, EVERYONE in Megaton nearby knew more or less where it was. Why Amata doesn't come with you, even through she just got tortured and beaten by order of her totalitarian maniac dad? Why there are more raiders than people in settlements? Where's the farms and the food coming from? Why is a river STILL radioactive after 200 years?

Why Lyons' Brotherhood are retards who act like retarded medieval knights and can barely fight a army of mega-retarded wannabe "Super" mutants (moar like Orks) even through they're better equiped, better commanded and better positioned? Why is the Enclave here? Why there's a village of children still living right nearby a vault filled with murderous, man-eating giant monsters? Why I can't side with the Only Sane Man (Colonel Augustus Autumn), whose objective is to merely restore civilization and order in the USA, but I can do what a insane, maniacal genocidal AI asks me (poison the river with FEV?)? Why the BOS is in such a hurry to take a measly water purifier and acts like Autumn got a nuke aimed at them? How a Purifier positioned at the rivermouth purifies the whole river?

The ending is another level of retardation entirely, I mean, jesus. Also, no cool slider movie showing what happened to the cities and peoples I affected, fuck you Bethesda.

The bad console interface and crap engine didn't help either. Also, pointless, boring combat, all the time.

Fallout NV is another level entirely of game, closer to the originals, my rank is Fallout 2 >>> Fallout >>> New Vegas >>> Tactics, but being bellow Fallout does not lessen how FNV is a pretty good game. It would've been even better if the Gamebryo engine wans't so shitty and allowed the game to be as epic as it should've been - Think how the 2nd Battle of Hoover Dam would've been awesome if it had been detailed in a decent engine that can display hundreds of soldiers fighting simultaniously without making your computer explode, or New Vegas city itself would've looked more awesome if it could be displayed to a more proper size and a decent engine.

Kirtai

Augur
New Vegas city itself would've looked more awesome if it could be displayed to a more proper size and a decent engine.

There's evidence in the data files that the city was intended to be much bigger and more complex but it had to be cut up to fit in the consoles memory limits. I believe there's a modder reassembling the remaining bits.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Listing all that is pretty irrelevant, honestly. I agree with every flaw you pointed out for the most part, but that isn't the point. The point is a game can have all those flaws but still offer something enjoyable or worth spending time on. Obviously you played FO3 for quite a while, since you beat the story and have extensive knowledge of the game. No one puts a couple dozen hours into something they literally find to be absolute worthless shit.

And that's the point. That's the whole point of what some of us are saying. Some things are okay, neither especially good nor especially bad. Middling. Average. Passable. Whatever word you want to use.

EG

Nullified
And, even though I enjoyed small parts of Fallout 3, it's still the game that turned me off all gaming since it came out. Part of that was my naive expectation that it'd be like the first two Fallouts and my having no real knowledge of Bethesda.

What irredeemable shit. :mad:

Listing all that is pretty irrelevant, honestly. I agree with every flaw you pointed out for the most part, but that isn't the point. The point is a game can have all those flaws but still offer something enjoyable or worth spending time on. Obviously you played FO3 for quite a while, since you beat the story and have extensive knowledge of the game. No one puts a couple dozen hours into something they literally find to be absolute worthless shit.

And that's the point. That's the whole point of what some of us are saying. Some things are okay, neither especially good nor especially bad. Middling. Average. Passable. Whatever word you want to use.

Listing all the things that make the game shit, flawed and straight-up BAD is not irrelevant. By the middle I was essentially forcing myself to finish that shit!

Well, maybe there's some people that like to churn on shit, but do not expect most of us codexers to enjoy that sort of shit.

Machocruz

Arcane
Problem with FAllout 3 is that it didn't have the things I play Fallout for, which is quests with multiple solutions and multiple outcomes, diverse effective builds, and lots of skill checks. I can remember maybe two or three quests that had multiple solutions, and these were major quests. Major quests in FO3 were the equivalent of minor quests in 2 or NV. We can't have turn based or isometric because gaming has "evolved," but stone age quest design is still a-okay. I can deal with no food sources, no progress in 200 years, and shitty/corrupted lore, but I expect more than Oblivion reskin from Fallout.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
We can't have turn based or isometric because gaming has "evolved," but stone age quest design is still a-okay. I can deal with no food sources, no progress in 200 years, and shitty/corrupted lore, but I expect more than Oblivion reskin from Fallout.

It's because you're mainly dealing with people who have no point of reference for these things so anything goes. What confuses me are certain groups who essentially saw NV's main strengths, involving quests and replayability derived from choices, as a drawback because they, I can only assume this, found them confusing after F3's simplistic approach.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Listing all the things that make the game shit, flawed and straight-up BAD is not irrelevant. By the middle I was essentially forcing myself to finish that shit!

Well, maybe there's some people that like to churn on shit, but do not expect most of us codexers to enjoy that sort of shit.

You won't enjoy it, you'll just play it for dozens of hours all the way to the end. So... masochism, I guess.

baturinsky

Arcane
New Vegas city itself would've looked more awesome if it could be displayed to a more proper size and a decent engine.

There's evidence in the data files that the city was intended to be much bigger and more complex but it had to be cut up to fit in the consoles memory limits. I believe there's a modder reassembling the remaining bits.

Fallout 3 had awesome sights on same engine.

Takoma_Park.jpg

The_Capitol.jpg

Kirtai

Augur

There's a detailed description of what he found here, it sounds like a lot of active content and NPCs were cut in addition to chopping up the areas.

Ovg

Cipher

But that's the problem. Those are only sights. Do they add to the atmosphere? Undoubtedly. Do they add anything to the RPG part of the game? Nothing at all.

We should make a new genre, a "sight seeing game" where this kind of shit would be a good reason to buy something. I don't want empty "Beautiful views" in rpgs, because that's not why I am there. Even add an npc with whom I can discuss what the building is or something and then yes. It's piss poor still, but at least it adds anything to the RPG part of the game. And that was my main problem with fallout 3. It was a mediocre-shitty FPS and a mediocre-shitty RPG. If it went full FPS and made me look at beautiful sights plus blasting smart ai apart? Ok, fine. I can live with that. If there was some additional content to it apart from AWESOME SHIT AND BEAUTIFUL SIGHTS LELELELELELE? I'd be fine with it since it'd be what I expect from an rpg game. Using my skills and getting phat loot for that plus at least mediocre writing. Those were the basics Fallout 3 failed to provide. I felt like playing an unfinished product. So many beautiful and true-to-reality places with nothing else to it. It was like an uneasy truce between FPS and RPG gaming, with both getting buttfucked in the end.

What I grieve in New Vegas being constrained by console demands is not the sights and aesthetic pleasure. I grieve the unrealized rpg potential. More quests, more characters, more cnc.

RPGMaster

Savant

There's a detailed description of what he found here, it sounds like a lot of active content and NPCs were cut in addition to chopping up the areas.

I'd imagine the cut content has more to do with deadlines than consoles. If current gen consoles can handle GTA V then they can handle the Fallout 3 engine.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I want Fallout 4 to be good, but I am afraid of what BGS will do with it... the internal conflict will probably drive me insane.

Everybody wants a good, or at least halfdecent game. But I don't see a reason to concern oneself about it anymore. All the surprises left are pleasant ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom