Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Your favourite "hardcore" platformers?

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Don't know if it's hardcore enough but Captain Claw, awesome little game, probably my favourite platformer ever.

Comix Zone is more of a beat'em up, I think. With fighting game controls. Okay, a little platforming as well.

Mega Man has everything. Kickass music, good graffix, and it's difficult if you don't use a guide to know the exact boss order.

I like Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania but their tendency to make enemies appear out of the edge of the screen to push you into a pit is infuriating most of the time. MM can have that but it's pretty rare, you can see the enemies coming most of the time.

There's Earthworm Jim too, but I sucked at that.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Play Contra: Hard Corps. It's a great game with a few easter eggs and you also get a certain non-linearity between levels.

Coriolanus

Learned
- Also when you try Castlevania you start from the start. Castlevania 1, probably the hardest of them all, immense satisfaction when you finish it.

I'm playing it now, it's quite different from the others. The enemies are harder and a bit more random - the shooting heads, for instance, take 6 hits to take down and shoot fireballs at random intervals so you can't simply spam attack to get past them safely without losing health; devil monkeys run around like crazy so you have to kill them very quickly, same with flying demon heads.

By not using save states, you mean not using them at all? In 1, it seems there are no passwords, so every time you start the game you have to do it all over again. Wouldn't using save states to at least save progress between levels help the experience?

I actually don't care for these too much generally. They tend to focus more on memorization than on reflexes or execution.

If anything, Castlevania 1 is more skill and reflex based than the later ones due to the nature of your enemies (harder to kill, more random). Not as random as Ghosts 'n Goblins, but still.

Especially the old, slow paced ones like Castlevania. Castlevania 1 is pretty horrible; the bosses pretty much all lost to holy water stunlock.

The bosses so far (I'm just past the mummy twins) seem easily abusable with or without holy water. If you manage to hold on to holy water without dying when you get to the boss, you're probably good enough to beat him effortlessly regardless - most of the difficulty is the levels, not the bosses.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Rastan Saga, the Conan simulator for arcade machines in the 80's:

Play Rastan Saga 2 for shit and giggles, Rastan Saga 3 is a beat em up

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
By not using save states, you mean not using them at all? In 1, it seems there are no passwords, so every time you start the game you have to do it all over again. Wouldn't using save states to at least save progress between levels help the experience?

Ideally you leave your console (or in this case, emulator) open for as long as you need in order to finish the game... but OK, a save state at the moment you're about to stop playing is permitted, but not save states at the start of each level. These games are designed with a set number of lives/continues and that's how they should played.

Tel Velothi

Cipher

Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu for NES - great gameplay, soundtrack is one of the best from NES games, it's quite challenging

Super Meat Boy - very fun platformer, but I guess everyone knows/played it

Coriolanus

Learned

Ideally you leave your console (or in this case, emulator) open for as long as you need in order to finish the game... but OK, a save state at the moment you're about to stop playing is permitted, but not save states at the start of each level. These games are designed with a set number of lives/continues and that's how they should played.

Castlevania 1 has infinite continues, though (don't all Castlevanias?). You re-start the level when you run out of lives.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Shame on you. I beated the sequel, Tides of Time. Amazing game...

It's at the hardness level of Dark Souls (aka, infuriates me) but it's not a genre I enjoy enough to go through the frustration/challenge to complete.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Shame on you. I beated the sequel, Tides of Time. Amazing game...

It's at the hardness level of Dark Souls (aka, infuriates me) but it's not a genre I enjoy enough to go through the frustration/challenge to complete.
To be fair, i finished on the easy mode(less levels tough). Aquaria should be more forgiving, tough the popagonist is not as awesome as a dolphin.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
To be fair, i finished on the easy mode(less levels tough). Aquaria should be more forgiving, tough the popagonist is not as awesome as a dolphin.

hqdefault.jpg

SearchEngine

Learned
Battletoads
Contra: Hard Corps
Dracula X: Rondo of Blood, Castlevania III, Castlevania: Bloodlines
Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge
Henry Hatsworth
Kid Icarus
Mega Man X4-X6, Mega Man & Bass, Mega Man ZX Advent
Metroid

Machocruz

Arcane
Gargoyle's Quest serie. Demon's Crest on SNES is beautiful.

Dat music and atmosphere. Perfect Halloween game. Makes a good SNES quadruple bill with Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Clock Tower, and Super Castlevania

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom