Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper Atari Corpse Looting: Stardock got Star Control, Wargaming got MoO and Total Annihilation

Damn it. I want Star Control and Master of Orion. Is it so hard to make a great sequel to those games? I mean it's action/adventure/rpg and 4x FFS. And yet Stardock got SC and Wargaming MoO. :eek: Can't wait to see what will they do. SC 4 will be a boring soulless excel spreadsheet simulator and MoO tablet "strategy" for "soccer dads". :salute:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I know some people related with Wargaming.net and I can say one thing - they are swimming in money. Sometimes I think literally. They hire writers to pump books about goddamn tanks and shit left and right. Their budgets can rape CoD and still be easily affordable profitable from tens of millions of WoT donaters. What gives me hope is that they have shitload of people working in balancing department only. Which means we can see MoO remake done right.

Dexter

Arcane
Infinitron, we need some of your Jewish snooping.

I've been trying to snoop about this all week, but there seems to be absolutely no news coverage. Gaming journalism at its finest!
http://de.scribd.com/doc/154934708/...ECT-TO-THE-AUCTIONS-OF-CERTAIN-OF-THE-DEBTORS

ataril6a6e.png

Jashiin

Arcane
What are the chances of the original SC creators joining stardock ? I've only played SC2 this year for the first time and love it. Had I played it back then, it would have been top 5 ever material I think.. such a great game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What are the chances of the original SC creators joining stardock ? I've only played SC2 this year for the first time and love it. Had I played it back then, it would have been top 5 ever material I think.. such a great game.

Zero. They're busy making billions with the Skylanders franchise and probably have ironclad no-compete clauses with Activision.

Jashiin

Arcane
That's a shame, here's hoping Stardock recognizes it would be best to start out far in the future with a whole new bunch of alien races instead of trying to build on (and no doubt fail trying) the existing ones.

LeJosh

Savant
I shouldn't hope but TA being owned by Wargaming must at least mean they'll get a competent 3rd party dev to do it justice? Right? ... :'(

World of Annihilation, control your commanders to fire nano-goop to build up defenses and shit in this psuedo-RTS MOBA. That's my prediction.

LeJosh

Savant
I remember seeing that, has Chris survived his breakdown after that action-rpg venture? :p

So I can hold on to a little hope, at least.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've been thinking about Stardock getting the Star Control license, and I'm having a hard time seeing how this is good news. It has nothing to do with Stardock themselves, but with the fact that all the races and characters that defined the franchise are copyrighted by Toys For Bob (Kotick).

It is literally impossible for Stardock to do anything with the license without getting permission to use TFB's copyrights. Otherwise it's just Star Control 4 all over again, which was obviously a further step in the attempt for Accolade to distance themselves from the (legal) fact that Ford and Reiche owned the copyrights to the Star Control characters.

Stardock could probably do a worthwhile Star Control game that emphasises the strategic element over the character interaction (a la Star Control 1) but it was Star Control 2 that made the franchise legendary, SC2 is the only reason the franchise is worth anything today. They would have to come up with writing and characters at least close to the ones that appeared in SC2, combined with a decent strategy game that both mimics and improves upon SC1's gameplay, and then use SC3 as a warning of how not to combine the two. First step, get permission from TFB to use their characters. If that fails, abort. The SC fans won't touch it.

I don't see how TFB giving Stardock permission to use their characters would violate "no competition" clauses as long as they keep it just at that, giving permission. Any further input from them would naturally be invaluable to Stardock, but we'll just have to wait and see how far that can go.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
I shouldn't hope but TA being owned by Wargaming must at least mean they'll get a competent 3rd party dev to do it justice? Right? ... :'(

World of Annihilation, control your commanders to fire nano-goop to build up defenses and shit in this psuedo-RTS MOBA. That's my prediction.

With the Planetary Annihilation KS thing I'd imagine a MOBA is probably most likely. Fits Wargaming's F2P model. Stupid really as it's not even as if the TA franchise holds that much weight. Fans are already used to each decent version of the game being a spiritual successor, what with the dual shittyness of SC2 and TA:Kingdoms. Guess it'll generate some column inches when it's announced, I guess.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Well, at least MoO went to a developer that doesn't have a history of making shitty 4x games, unlike... umm, every developer that currently makes 4x games.

Who could have actually done MoO justice? I would have said Kerberos prior to SoTS2, but now I'm not so sure. Certainly not Stardock, Amplitude, or Firaxis. Those guys couldn't design a good 4x to save their lives.

What developer would actually understand that the core gameplay from MoO 2 took quite a few steps back from the original, that Civilization is a cesspool of poor design that shouldn't be emulated, and excessive micromanagement only leads to formulaic playing and not depth?

The perfect 4x game would take MoO 1 as it's base, expand it with more content, add the parts from MoO 2 that worked while disregarding the crappy bits stolen from Civ, marry it with Homeworld style tactical space combat, and create a multi-turn ground combat system involving high level strategic choices with the low level stuff abstracted.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Homeworld means real-time. Should anything real-time made it into MoO - it'll be ruined by default. And making ground battles similar to space ones is a horrible idea as well - wasting time in capturing 4 population rock? No way. Better make ground battles simplistic yet with choices like we saw in GalCiv2 - gas warfare, propaganda, surgical strike and such. but without retardation of permanently losing planet quality and limited number of building slots.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Homeworld means real-time. Should anything real-time made it into MoO - it'll be ruined by default.

That's a pretty simplistic argument.

When you think about it turn based space combat is not ideal in a 4x. You end up running into one of two pitfalls, MoO1 fell into one, MoO2 into the other.

MoO1 turn based combat worked at the cost of being overly abstracted. It wasn't unenjoyable by any means, but wasn't particularly deep or fun either.

MoO2's system on the other hand was much more in depth, early on it was quite a bit of an improvement over MoO1. Unfortunately, it completely broke the late game. Turns took far too long, the side that moved first had an overwhelming advantage, and things ultimately got bogged down to the point of complete dysfunction. Turn based gameplay becomes a hindrance when you have too many elements or too much micro.

You could try to solve the issue by limiting fleet sizes, or after a certain limit is reached you could switch to stacked ships like in MoO 1. Unfortunately, the former is limiting and the later is convoluted.

The most fun tactical space combat I've ever seen was in Homeworld. I imagine the majority are in the same boat. Makes sense to start with something that is proven to work over something that's proven to break down (MoO2), no?

And making ground battles similar to space ones is a horrible idea as well

Sure, but I never said to make it similar to space combat.

wasting time in capturing 4 population rock?

By the same token, it doesn't make sense that a heavily populated home world could be captured by ground forces in a single turn.

So design a system where a 4 population rock is easy to capture, in a single turn with a large force, while taking over a core world is usually a more significant event.

Better make ground battles simplistic yet with choices like we saw in GalCiv2 - gas warfare, propaganda, surgical strike and such. but without retardation of permanently losing planet quality and limited number of building slots.

Something like a mix between GalCiv2 and MoO3, give the player very high level strategic choices without going all the way down to tactical combat. As far as retardation goes, having planetary building slots in a 4x and treating planets like a city in Civ tops the list.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
In before the next Star Control game set in the CalCiv universe!
In line with the style of other modern "reboots", they'll probably name it just "Star Control" and pretend the originals never happened.
:troll:

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
In before the next Star Control game set in the CalCiv universe!
Gives them something to work with at least.

In line with the style of other modern "reboots", they'll probably name it just "Star Control" and pretend the originals never happened.
:troll:
I had quite a lot of fun with the then pop-a-mole version Solar Winds.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Who really thinks Toys for Bob guys would even be able to make game like Star Control 2 again after been doing shit for Activision? They had chance to buy the license by themselves but they didn't so I don't think they even care anymore.

Who really thinks Toys for Bob guys would even be able to make game like Star Control 2 again after been doing shit for Activision? They had chance to buy the license by themselves but they didn't so I don't think they even care anymore.

Yeah, but there was something, Toys for Bob had a web site that wanted a SC sequel, a petition or something if I remember correctly. But you're probably right, they don't give a shit if they're raking in millions doing facebook games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom