Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware The Tangut Prophecy: FOnline RPG, Historical Fiction, 12th Century China

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Why not send it in to the codex staff? :)
It's part of the deal for me to provide "unreleased" screenshots for the interview. And they wouldn't be unreleased anymore if I posted them everywhere else right? Just get your butt over to fodev.net.

What I meant is sending the staff a link to our fodev interview as news, not posting it as a codex exclusive. ;) Infinitron

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why not send it in to the codex staff? :)
It's part of the deal for me to provide "unreleased" screenshots for the interview. And they wouldn't be unreleased anymore if I posted them everywhere else right? Just get your butt over to fodev.net.

What I meant is sending the staff a link to our fodev interview as news, not posting it as a codex exclusive. ;) Infinitron

What is this? Bug Crooked Bee, I'm kind of busy with other newsposts. :P

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Fucking WOW!!! Can't take my eyes from those!

Also:

"8. The Tangut Prophecy has been developed using the FOnline engine as a base - did you consider implementation of a coop-mode for two or more players?
Nope, never even crossed my mind. The Tangut Prophecy is a text heavy singleplayer RPG with turn based combat. I just don't think that would translate well into a cooperative experience."

:yeah:

NewFag

Educated
Didn't read the whole thread, but got some input for you.

1) The environment and graphics look great. Keep it up!
2) A heads up with your title screen, Tangut should be 党項. 「党」不是簡體字,不應轉寫為「黨項」 According to wiki and other research.
3) Please for god's sake avoid any Faux Chinese-English font type. Use traditional Chinese for graphics and art, but for in-game text just use a nice English font for readability. I can't stand fake Chinese characters, reminds me of the bad tattoos some people get.
4) As a Chinese history buff and classic RPG lover myself, I'd love to be able to contribute to this project in any way. (hint hint: beta-test, or any sort of writing or research)
5) Looking forward to future updates, definitely on my watch list.

EDIT (Just went through the thread briefly)
6) A female PC is unnecessary and out of place in this setting. This is coming from someone who mainly plays female PCs.
7) The setting provides a huge opportunity for political intrigue and not being "The Chosen One". Massive potential for plenty of C&C. Use to your advantage.

EDIT 2
7b) Multiple worthy opponents/potential allies/future enemies would be amazing. You can have a few fluid NPCs, where their goals can either conflict with yours, be in tune, or just completely unrelated. The PC's choices could cause them to join you, hate you, or just ignore you. And it might not be immediate. Eg. The PC is a dick to someone early on. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but much later the NPC rises up through the social ladder/gains influence/etc. and remembers you. And his reaction could be anything from mockery, gentlemanly forgiveness, assassination or even revenge sabotage. I find NPC's are too stagnant in most games, it'd be interesting to say the least if some NPC's developed as characters just like the PC overtime. Especially if this game covers 40 years or so.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
2) A heads up with your title screen, Tangut should be 党項. 「党」不是簡體字,不應轉寫為「黨項」 According to wiki and other research.
Ehhhhh? You absolutely sure 党 isn't just the simplified form of 黨, as it usually is? Not saying you're wrong, just that it'd be great to see a link to the wiki and other research (or citations for non-online text sources). It just seems a bit odd.

Edit: I should make it clear that the language portion of my knowledge is almost entirely modern Chinese, though both simplified and full-form charactersets, for work reasons. What Classical I know is purely the scraps I've learnt as a hobby w/ resources provided by a relative who knows significantly more, so I'm nowhere near an authority on specifics like this.

CrazyLoon

Prophet
I'm well aware of that. Been waiting for a long time for someone to correct me. Truth be told, I just thought 黨 looks cooler. :P

4) As a Chinese history buff and classic RPG lover myself, I'd love to be able to contribute to this project in any way. (hint hint: beta-test, or any sort of writing or research)
I'll keep that in mind, seeing that I will be doing beta testing eventually. You and LundB, our resident egg, are on the top of that list.

NewFag

Educated
Ehhhhh? You absolutely sure 党 isn't just the simplified form of 黨, as it usually is? Not saying you're wrong, just that it'd be great to see a link to the wiki and other research (or citations for non-online text sources). It just seems a bit odd.

Edit: I should make it clear that the language portion of my knowledge is almost entirely modern Chinese, though both simplified and full-form charactersets, for work reasons. What Classical I know is purely the scraps I've learnt as a hobby w/ resource provided by a relative who knows significantly more, so I'm nowhere near an authority on specifics like this.

http://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-tw/党項

http://www.hanyudazidian.com/bolshaya_kitayskaya_entsiklopediya/page/.38428/

http://www.zdic.net/c/a/23/55705.htm

I mostly use traditional characters, so I was surprised myself.

I see contradicting information on google, since some other people (including historical ones) used 黨, but 党 does seem to be correct as well.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=党項 黨項

NewFag

Educated
Just found an interesting map. (As mentioned before, some sources seem to have used 黨項)
dangxiang_zps8a5aa874.jpg

In any case I think 黨 looks cooler as well, as I prefer the traditional script myself. There really isn't a need to change something so petty.
Regarding that map, I just realized it'd be pretty cool to have a simple plain map with black inking for the game. +M Doesn't get more authentic than that.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Nonsense, there are tons of interesting setting and stories to be told, if only developers (and especially players) could get over their massive prejudice on anything beyond their confort zone... think of the colonization of Africa, the purge of natives in south america, the spanish inquisition, colonial Brazil... every country has one or two historical eras that could surely provide a great setting for a game, but we keep getting stuck back to the same retarded cliches over and over again...

Would give 10 brofists if I could.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm well aware of that. Been waiting for a long time for someone to correct me. Truth be told, I just thought 黨 looks cooler. :P

I'll keep that in mind, seeing that I will be doing beta testing eventually. You and LundB, our resident egg, are on the top of that list.

My knowledge of ancient China only goes far as reading an excellent translation of the Three Kingdoms about a hundred times (and not much else), but if you need testers at some point I'd also give it a proper spin and feedback, if you needed more. Still watching this thread. Loving the scale in that big temple screenshot.

Ninjerk

Arcane

My knowledge of ancient China only goes far as reading an excellent translation of the Three Kingdoms about a hundred times (and not much else), but if you need testers at some point I'd also give it a proper spin and feedback, if you needed more. Still watching this thread. Loving the scale in that big temple screenshot.

What translation, if you don't mind?

Impressive work!!
I am not too familiar with ancient chinese history (or history for that matter).
We are sorely lacking in historical TB Isometric cRPGs grounded in reality.

Please do not let the undomesticated snowmen influence you with their PC should be womyn inclusive femnist agenda

Also use of SPECIAL may cause Zenimax to be :butthurt: enough to sue you. I suggest something along the lines of:
Strength = Might
Perception = Awareness
Endurance = Fortitude
Charisma = Magnetism
Intelligence = Comprehension
Agility = Quickness
Luck = Serendipity
If possible, jumble their order in the character status display.

I also think thatvyou should work out a deal regarding FOnilne rights and charge $5 to $10 for your finished work and give the money to charity or something if you don't want to keep the cash. If a product is paid, automatic legitimacy is awarded.

I am so glad you decided to make it in English. More :obviously: cRPG players will be able to appreciate your labour of love.
Use chinese in the game instead of faux font wherever you feel it adds to atmosphere... but please keep all interface, dialogue and map locations in clear English font.
I am not a native english speaker, but most :obviously: cRPGs are in english(and so is the player base)

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
I forget if this topic has been visited or not.

Mounted combat.

If you have horse, you can travel on world map faster.

In combat, you can fight on horse if you have special training (perks, given by level up or quests):
- Horse archer, shoot farther and evade foot attack better. Use recurve bow with bonus.
- Horse fighter, farther reach of longer weapon (staff-class and halberd-class), and more damage for shorter weapon (dao, sword, etc... hit from higher position)
- Armored Horse Fighter, top of the line, highest level req, allow to use expensive horse armors for horse and character
This is actually should be a step up over the usual, because medium armored horse fighter is the top of medieval martial ranking (cataphract/dehgan of Persian fame...)

You can fight on horse without any of the three perk but get a penalty perk 'clumsy horse fighter' active while on horse. You can wear your armor only, horse must wait for the above perk. Damage was split between your char and your horse, so it's easier to get your horse killed (expensive defense measure).

Horse can be injured in combat, and once it's dead, the chracter will be reanimated into foot-figure like normal. This will force you to lead two or three horse at once while traveling, something very goddamn period-approriate, and an expensive, money-sink which is always a plus for game balance.

Animation will require a set of the usual characters but on horse.

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
I'd happily chuck in a few bucks for this project if it meant an increased chance of it seeing the light of day/reaching its grand potential.

Tigranes

Arcane

Sadly, it's a Korean one: Yi Mun-Yol's 10-volume, which sticks to the Luo Guanzhong version while providing comparisons with Chen Shou and other sources at appropriate junctures, and making broader connections highlighting less obvious allusions and narratives. I like it because its historical analysis doesn't get bogged down, it remains very much in a literary spirit - that is, not only about 'what really happened' but the 'who' of the characters and what kind of stories might have mattered most or what kind of stories might have come about how/why. It also juggles the famous Liu Bei vs Cao Cao bias nicely, a troublesome affair for any rendition.

Notable examples include its lengthy discussion of Zhang Fei's butcher-apprentice days and the kind of village milieu he lived in (and what kind of 'position' he might have held in the townspeoples' eyes); which parts of Wang Yun's stratagems against Dong Zhuo might have been probable; the sheer violence of Zhuge Liang's alleged trapping and burning of the Wutugu troops and their rattan armor (which, while one of the less verified stories in the saga, is an interesting counterpoint to the standard, inhumanely aloof and serene characterisation of Zhuge Liang); and so forth.

Severian Silk

The 3D models and 2D sprites look awesome though a little overexposed. You might also try to add a little more color. Currently the images look a little grimgrey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ninjerk

Arcane

Sadly, it's a Korean one: Yi Mun-Yol's 10-volume, which sticks to the Luo Guanzhong version while providing comparisons with Chen Shou and other sources at appropriate junctures, and making broader connections highlighting less obvious allusions and narratives. I like it because its historical analysis doesn't get bogged down, it remains very much in a literary spirit - that is, not only about 'what really happened' but the 'who' of the characters and what kind of stories might have mattered most or what kind of stories might have come about how/why. It also juggles the famous Liu Bei vs Cao Cao bias nicely, a troublesome affair for any rendition.

Notable examples include its lengthy discussion of Zhang Fei's butcher-apprentice days and the kind of village milieu he lived in (and what kind of 'position' he might have held in the townspeoples' eyes); which parts of Wang Yun's stratagems against Dong Zhuo might have been probable; the sheer violence of Zhuge Liang's alleged trapping and burning of the Wutugu troops and their rattan armor (which, while one of the less verified stories in the saga, is an interesting counterpoint to the standard, inhumanely aloof and serene characterisation of Zhuge Liang); and so forth.

I don't see myself learning Korean any time soon, but thanks anyways! I started reading an online, English translation back in 2005 (around the time my cousin and I were deep into DW, DW3 ftw!) but barely got into it before I was off to college, boozing, and women.

CrazyLoon

Prophet
Hey guys I'm in USA right now, where I will be staying for the rest of the summer. I'll be back to work on the game in late September/early October.

The 3D models and 2D sprites look awesome though a little overexposed. You might also try to add a little more color. Currently the images look a little grimgrey.
I suffer from bad colour vision deficiency, so some, if not all, of the colours are probably way off. Please don't mind the colour/exposure/saturation stuff at the moment. I'll fix colours before the final version release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom