Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Real speech skills in NWN2?

Longshanks

Augur
Haven't been following this game that closely, so this is probably old news to those who have.
Interview contains a little information on use of speech skills in the game, also some character creation screens I haven't seen before.

New <a href="http://au.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/neverwinternights2/news.html?sid=6159142&tag=topslot;action;4" target="_blank">interview</a> with Chris Avellone on Gamespot.

We give you a choice of being a politician, criminal, or advisor, as well, but that's up to you to choose.
Although ...
Whatever occurs, you will find yourself engaged in several battles over the course of the game

Drakron

Arcane
If you belive in that can I interrest you into buying New Zeland?

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Actually, the infamous Exitium is in the beta for NWN 2. While he refuses to disclose any information due to an NDA he has said this much:

<jiu> so how's the beta going
<SolInvictus> It's fucking great, jiu
<jiu> you are only testing the OC or the toolset as well
<SolInvictus> the OC
<jiu> so they done good eh? more fun than kotor 2?
<SolInvictus> Yes it's much better.
<jiu> dammit tell me everything ;D
<SolInvictus> Eh, when they release the game I'll tell you about it.

There you have it. I'm not saying his word is to be highly regarded by the Codex, but it's something. :cool:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
'Actual speech skills' were in NWN1, and they were used. Not as mucha s FO.

And, speech skills existed in both KOTORs and was used A LOT. Espicially in KOTOR2. So, meh.

Longshanks

Augur
Drakron said:
Nope, highly sceptical.
Especially when the bar set by NWN is so low (different developers, I know).

New Zealand? No thanks, have enough sheep in Aus.

Crichton

Prophet
Nope, highly sceptical.
Especially when the bar set by NWN is so low (different developers, I know).

This is misplaced, as mentioned, obsidion developed KOTOR2; if you're simply interested in use of character skills in dialog, KOTOR2 beats FO and FO2 hands down. More skills used in dialog, more speach skills, more instances of use, yada, yada, yada.

Quote:
We give you a choice of being a politician, criminal, or advisor, as well, but that's up to you to choose.

There is a huge gulf between stat/skill use in dialog and "being a politician". What I think drakon is trying to indicate is that all the politics you're likely to be involved in is one quest where you get to choose one of two political factions and offer a little advice, not exactly a career in the senate.

Longshanks

Augur
Crichton said:
More skills used in dialog, more speach skills, more instances of use, yada, yada, yada.
Yeah sorry, the post topic isn't worded too well.
More after being able to create a character who's major skill is in conversation.

From memory though (haven't played NWN in years and only played KOTOR1) the skill checks in dialog were not as meaningful as I'd like.
This is where I rank Fallout over KOTOR1.
Fallout didn't have masses of dialogue (certainly compared to Planescape) and some of it was quite juvenile (esp. Fallout2) but too me it always felt meaningul.

Crichton said:
all the politics you're likely to be involved in is one quest where you get to choose one of two political factions and offer a little advice, not exactly a career in the senate.
Agreed.

Shoelip

Arbiter
My biggest complaint about KotoR was that most of the skill based dialogue options were fake, you couldn't succeed even if you cheated.

elander_

Arbiter
Was KOTOR2 dialog good for role-playing similar to Planescape? Since FALLOUT and Planescape i didn't played any decent rpg who come close to have a decent dialog not to talk about dialog rp. With the big dialog and rueading shrinking campaign it will be very hard to tell what we will see in NWN2.

Was KOTOR2 dialog good for role-playing similar to Planescape? Since FALLOUT and Planescape i didn't played any decent rpg who come close to have a decent dialog not to talk about dialog rp. With the big dialog and rueading shrinking campaign it will be very hard to tell what we will see in NWN2.

KOTOR2 is the king of broken promises, in my book.

All the main story's encounters and situations have more choices than any crap spawned unto this world after the comming of Arcanum, and those are very well written and developed. The titular Sith Lords and four of your companions (the pilot, the blind sith chick, the r2d2 wannabe, and your "mentor") are also in that level, with some of the choices being quite interesting and even managing to seem like they could have consequences (at times they have, but are mostly cosmetic, thanks to the dissapearance of the last third of the game). One of the Sith Lords can be defeated through dialog alone, and that situation is best written than most of such kind.

Now, most of the side-quests, all of your crew except for those already mentioned, and almost all the rest of the game are pure crap and the roleplaying options are in the same level than those of the first baldur's gate, if not even lower. The so-important Jedi Masters are pathethic (you seem to have options, but their reactions are decided before you even begin the conversation, by means of your alignment). And the writing is sub-par.

If they had forgot about the half-assed side-quests, the "cameo" crew, the stupid wookie, half the planets (specially both academies), all the cheap morality play, and used those resources to put the last third of the story in the game (where the consequences of the choices you made through the game were to become manifest) instead of scraping it, KOTOR2 would have been quite an interesting, if overly linear, little RPG with slightly more "role" than most today. The story promised as much.

Maybe after the "revival" proyect is completed it would be. For now, it is not.

But of Torment level? Not in a hundred years, at least in my opinion.

Hope that answered your question.

Seven

Erudite
This is misplaced, as mentioned, obsidion developed KOTOR2; if you're simply interested in use of character skills in dialog, KOTOR2 beats FO and FO2 hands down. More skills used in dialog, more speach skills, more instances of use, yada, yada, yada.

Must be nice to live in a fantasy world because dialogue and speech made such a huge difference in KOTOR2. And quantity doesn't equal quality.

Norfleet

There is no NWN2. I see nothing but vaporware and empty promises.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"My biggest complaint about KotoR was that most of the skill based dialogue options were fake, you couldn't succeed even if you cheated."

Bullshit.

OccupatedVoid

Arbiter
Shoelip said:
My biggest complaint about KotoR was that most of the skill based dialogue options were fake, you couldn't succeed even if you cheated.
:lol:
I guess I was one of those people who got a version different from everyone else since I always succeeded on the checks. I even opened some of the dialog files with 3rd party tools and saw no fake checks.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Well, I guess there's not much I can say if you didn't notice them, I know I did. Though the fake ones usually involved avoiding combat so that might have something to do with it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
You can avoid combat in KOTOR with dialogue. It happens quite a bit. Not at the level of FO; but it does happen.

Shoelip

Arbiter
I know you can sometimes, but alot of the time it's fake and no matter your skill level they react the same. Same with the Force power.

Inziladun

Magister
The only example I can think of is trying to get a better deal for fighting in the Dualing Ring on Taris, can't think of any other fake options, but I have no doubt they're there.

suibhne

Erudite
This is a silly argument, anyway. If you're going to compare NWN 2 to anything it should be KotOR 2, not the original, since 2 was done by some of the same peeps as NWN 2. And, aside from the totally sucktastic ending and some half-baked characters (like the Jedi Masters), KotOR 2 had much better and more branching dialogue than the original.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
More branching dialogue dialogue yes, better dialogue no.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom