Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The 5 most sexy games of this generation (remember to check your privilige)

SearchEngine

Learned
The thing is, we have stupid arguments for fun, not for some idiotic notion of social justice

Which is why this website does not have people who make rants about the dangers of political correctness entering this medium and people who need to make threads on every social justice article under the sun because they know, like this thread right here, will get tons of codexers venting their little hearts out.

buzz

Arcane
But seriously, it's weird how this shit evolves.
Lesbians Feminists are probably lobbying their stuff and doing their thing in other mediums as well, but they don't receive as much attention. Which is why in Game of Thrones the prostitute that turns into a powergirl political spy goes from this into this in a couple of episodes.

But with video games you have the ultraspergs with their flamboyant "WOMEN BELONG TO KITCHIN MAKE ME A SAMMICH BITCH" which ultimately turn the stupid kind of feminazi like Anita from a sneeze into a brain tumor. Which I don't really mind because some of my favorite LPers/developers/characters are women and I'd like more that thing.

But you have to find it funny how the most anti-feminist of you turn their issues from a footnote into the main event. Let's see how you handle a future of mixed races, femine or transgendered main characters in video games where you have to kill the patriarchy, knowing full-well that you're the ones that fueled the fire in the first place :thumbsup:.

Tehdagah

Arcane
(...)
But with video games you have the ultraspergs with their flamboyant "WOMEN BELONG TO KITCHIN MAKE ME A SAMMICH BITCH" which ultimately turn the stupid kind of feminazi like Anita from a sneeze into a brain tumor.
(...)
But you have to find it funny how the most anti-feminist of you turn their issues from a footnote into the main event. Let's see how you handle a future of mixed races, femine or transgendered main characters in video games where you have to kill the patriarchy, knowing full-well that you're the ones that fueled the fire in the first place
Nope. These people were (and still are) a minority.

Read [URL="http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/tropes-vs-women-in-games.81127/page-3#post-2534752"]this[/URL]

buzz

Arcane
I don't understand, that was exactly my point. She barely got under 30k before she made the update about the meanie trolls who hate her. But the meanie trolls do exist, she didn't invent them. The minority who paid Anita and her peers attention is the one I was referring as ultraspergy. This goes double for the gaming journalists who lack integrity and lash at every little scandal that's out there, pushing even more the feminist tales.

Ebonsword

Arcane
"Sexism" seems to be about as incorrectly used these days as "RPG".

When I look up the definition of "sexism", I see this:

1: prejudice or discrimination based on sex; especially :discrimination against women
2: behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex

In 4 of the 5 games on that list, the women are the main damn characters (which kind of blows the first definition) and they are also badass warriors (which kind of blows the second).

Now, I can see how you could claim that the games promote unrealistic ideas of beauty, but that's far from the same thing as sexism.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity

1: prejudice or discrimination based on sex; especially :discrimination against women
2: behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex

In 4 of the 5 games on that list, the women are the main damn characters (which kind of blows the first definition) and they are also badass warriors (which kind of blows the second).

Now, I can see how you could claim that the games promote unrealistic ideas of beauty, but that's far from the same thing as sexism.

The sex negative feminists are the ones who can not separate sexuality and gender role. God forbid they ever see a woman enjoying sex, because that would mean men and women might think sex is OK for anything other than survival of the species.

Dexter

Arcane

It’s beyond stupid really. xD

For most “normal people”, if they can make something of the word it is usually the classic definition of discrimination and prejudice leading to real-world disadvantages (for instance not getting a job because of it or getting less money for the same performance) and being allowed the same judicial and political powers as any other human being.

The portrayal of virtual characters in a story isn’t comprised in that definition and they can’t really be “discriminated” against since they are in the truest sense of the word objects and not real persons.

In fact being able to put such characters into positions and situations one wouldn’t put real persons or they wouldn’t want to be in and creating fantasies is often the point in the first place.

As far as I can tell, according to their “logic” they arrive to that conclusion by jumping through various hoops of mental gymnastics even based on their own “social studies” and theories by first applying their theory of sexual objectification which isn’t uncontroversial even amongst their circles

Sexual objectification is the act of treating a person merely as an instrument of sexual pleasure, making them a "sex object". Objectification more broadly means treating a person as a commodity or an object, without regard to their personality or dignity. Objectification is most commonly examined at the level of a society, but can also refer to the behavior of individuals.

The concept of sexual objectification and, in particular, the objectification of women, is an important idea in feminist theory and psychological theories derived from feminism. Many feminists regard sexual objectification as objectionable and as playing an important role in gender inequality. Some social commentators, however, argue that some modern women objectify themselves as an expression of their empowerment over men, while others argue that increased sexual freedom for women, gay, and bisexual men has led to an increase of the objectification of men. The idea of sexual objectification has also been an important area of discussion and debate in the area of sexual ethics and the philosophy of sex.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_objectification#Views_on_sexual_objectification

Then they jump through another logical hoop and apply this theory to virtual and non-existent characters claiming that they wouldn’t be able to give consent or know what they are doing (like models, actors or strippers) and depiction in any way that would be undignified for a person is bad and a hostile act by its designer (especially if male), basically trying to grant them basic human rights, arguing that this would lead to “sexism in society”.

Unfortunately the games media is full of radical leftards and worse that would jump at and embrace said rhetoric with open arms.

At that stage they seem to get caught in a resounding cacophonic loop of trying to beat each other in how indignant they are about the latest apparent slight by writing something down on their Blogs and “gaming journalism” being as it is often official magazines. The fact that it always seems to lead to a lot of hits from either camp isn’t bad either.
There are some articles about the phenomenon one of their own has dubbed “purity leftism”, which can only survive in environments like “social studies” courses in big cultural centers or specialty blogs with heavy moderation and self-reinforcing viewpoints and factors explained rather well here: http://mattbruenig.com/2012/05/10/purity-leftism/

Although it seems to be backfiring, since they start attacking even the type of games that are trying to humor them:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/14/a...e-the-last-of-us-survival-favors-the-man.html
http://www.gamespot.com/features/the-last-of-us-and-grading-on-the-gender-curve-6411051/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...e-solution-to-sexism-in-games-but-its-a-start
http://radicalmadre.com/the-last-of-us-a-feminist-perspective/

Upon which the makers apparently see it fit to defend themselves: http://venturebeat.com/2013/08/05/the-last-of-us-female-characters/

I think they just need to be given ample time and space and they’ll manage to self-destruct.

Another word that they seem to misappropriate to the point that it might lose all meaning is “misogyny” for anything else than the hatred or contempt for women:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misogyny
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/misogyny

Last edited:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
You mean it doesn't matter what kind of combat is going to be in Torment?:rpgcodex:

But seriously, people sometimes have opposing opinions, even if they agree on certain points. It's like human nature or something.

And sometimes people will hold an opposing view just because they can!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrarian

And being a contrarian isn't a bad thing. You need to look at issues from every perspective, and someone has to play devil's advocate..

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Stupid thread, just barely skimmed.

Note that Hamburger Helper designed her IIRC. This seems to imply that sexism IS sexy.
Isabela was written by Sheryl Chee. I assume her character design was by Matt Rhodes but it might have been some other concept artist or a collaboration.

Her choice of clothing is ridiculous, but it fits her character and isn't grossly implausible, so not sexist.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, she is black after all. Totally acceptable in this case.
She's mostly care-free and flirtatious.

In one of David Gaider's comics she puts on a full captain's uniform to attend a party and hates being forced to do so. :M

Lorica

Educated
Yeah, she is black after all. Totally acceptable in this case.
She's mostly care-free and flirtatious.

In one of David Gaider's comics she puts on a full captain's uniform to attend a party and hates being forced to do so. :M

Is pandering with a veneer of justification okay? And when that veneer is just racial stereotyping?

Bioware is as guilty as any of the games on that dumb list of pandering to dumbshits. It's just directed at a different audience.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Stupid thread, just barely skimmed.

Note that Hamburger Helper designed her IIRC. This seems to imply that sexism IS sexy.
Isabela was written by Sheryl Chee. I assume her character design was by Matt Rhodes but it might have been some other concept artist or a collaboration.

Her choice of clothing is ridiculous, but it fits her character and isn't grossly implausible, so not sexist.
I love how your concept of sexism is "being implausible" :lol:

Also, that outfit doesn't fit the character. You don't go to the battlefield dressed like that.

Bayonetta? Wasn't this game approved by feminists for being "women-empowering"?

The funny thing is, Bayo is probably one of the worst vidya game characters for feminists to rally around. Not because she loses a whole lot of her (default) costume when performing her most powerful attacks (Wicked Weaves, Climaxes), but because she's an unintentional send-up of the very idea of the empowered woman.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

People don't wear those outfits when going into medieval battle unless they have a death wish.

You're a fucking moronic dipshit for defending a blatant sex object as "plausible" just because some white knight fucktards made her. You only further reaffirm the idea that feminism just brainwashes you to tow the ideological line of retardation.

ps: Sheryl Chee is a shitty writer and it isn't because she's a woman!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
People don't wear those outfits when going into medieval battle unless they have a death wish.

You're a fucking moronic dipshit for defending a blatant sex object as "plausible" just because some white knight fucktards made her. You only further reaffirm the idea that feminism just brainwashes you to tow the ideological line of retardation.

Whether it makes sense or not her character is supposed to be the "take pride in being a slut I use sex to get what I want" type. I guess it makes sense she would wear that, to get people to want to fuck her for either pleasure or reward.

There's a weird line for chicks between powerful slut and male fantasy slut. The division is likely mostly in the mind.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Never did like Dragon Age's armour design. Their plate amour designs have always looked like some unholy fusion between realistically proportioned human bodies and that cartoonishy fuckhuge PAULDRONS N' SPIKES design from WoW.

buzz

Arcane
The outfit fits her character. She's a pirate, pirates are not exactly known for wearing heavy armor. Also, since when the fuck was Bioware the bastion of feminism? :lol: it's the game where you can fuck all women that you know if you help them a bit and talk with them a few times. Even Witcher has more credibility than Dragon Age/Mass Effect. You can also do threesomes/foursomes by the way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom