Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

Are the mechanics for state accepting/rejecting cultures same as in EU3 (i.e.)? Had a few cultures accepted when I had ~10 provinces, but as I started blobbing up they dropped out fast.
Is it even possible to have a big multi-cult state, or mass conversion is the only option?

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Is it even possible to have a big multi-cult state?

Yes. I'm playing as Brandenburg, and we're accepting Pomeranian culture. Pomeranian culture became accepted almost immediately after absorbing Pomerania, though I'm not sure why.

They are accepted if your cored provinces with their culture provides above a specific threshold of base tax.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about culture at all. All it is is a minor income and manpower penalty. By the time you get to the point where a culture drops to non-accepted you have infinite manpower and income anyway.

Kinda weird getting Quest for the New World in 1465. It's always been like that but this is the 4th revision.

More weird is that Timurids can take QftNW and be colonizing the Americas a decade later. Or Aztecs can get it around 1510 and end up in Australia shortly after.

It wasn't like this in EU3, you needed a minimum trade tech level to get it. Though I can't recall the time-appropriateness, at least it provided a distinct "now you can colonize" point.

This is going to scare you. Don't open this spoiler if you aren't prepared for one of the dumbest design decisions ever.
Basing rights extend your colonial range

Currently the best way to Westernize as an Indian or Asian nation is to set up a colony in Brazil next to the Euros.

:what:

Though to be fair, even if that was removed you could colony hop in a decade or so since coring goes so fast and each colony will extend your range

Multi-headed Cow

Kinda weird getting Quest for the New World in 1465. It's always been like that but this is the 4th revision.

More weird is that Timurids can take QftNW and be colonizing the Americas a decade later. Or Aztecs can get it around 1510 and end up in Australia shortly after.

It wasn't like this in EU3, you needed a minimum trade tech level to get it. Though I can't recall the time-appropriateness, at least it provided a distinct "now you can colonize" point.
Bullshitz. I tried playing Inca earlier and made it well into the 1500s stuck at admin tech 3. And it's not like I had anything else to spend the points on either, just takes assloads for each tech and unless you get lucky with your kings you're gonna be sitting there forever.

Playing France in ironman now. Ironman locks it to historical lucky nations which is kind of a bummer, but things are going well. Won the 100 years war so hard that England fell to pieces in rebellion and lost Ireland and later half of the main island to Scotland. Scotland was also a massive bro and made England give me Caux or Calais (Always mix those two up) which was the only English presence on the mainland 'cause I couldn't siege it since Burgundy was being bitchy. Burgundy later collapsed after they tried to jump me in a war, and I got half of them along with Austria. Been beating everyone up and getting massive amounts of aggressive expansion and overextension so I'll probably fuck myself in the end by trying to expand too fast, but it's fun. I normally do light savescumming in Paradox games if I do something completely retarded like send an army to battle with reduced army maintenance, but it's certainly more exciting (And makes me play more cautiously) in ironman.

Also fuck all other nations. Everyone sets me as a rival. Everyone! The only one who is a bro is Scotland. You and me, Scotland. We're in this together. Even though you have no navy and do absolutely nothing for any of my wars.

Bullshitz. I tried playing Inca earlier and made it well into the 1500s stuck at admin tech 3. And it's not like I had anything else to spend the points on either, just takes assloads for each tech and unless you get lucky with your kings you're gonna be sitting there forever.

Should be possible if you can get a good roll for your 2nd ruler. Are you economizing your point-spending properly, and getting higher tier advisors? Aztec might have an advantage in the latter due to having much more money available. 20s-30s should be doable if your luck isn't good. Of course if your luck is hideous and your first ruler immediately dies and gives you a 0-admin, yeah you are fucked.

Also fuck all other nations. Everyone sets me as a rival. Everyone! The only one who is a bro is Scotland. You and me, Scotland. We're in this together. Even though you have no navy and do absolutely nothing for any of my wars.

You have to be a bit proactive in getting their relations high, otherwise they default to fear and hate whenever someone big is nearby. Just another reason why the Diplomacy idea is amazing.

Last edited:

Multi-headed Cow

Should be possible if you can get a good roll for your 2nd ruler. Are you economizing your point-spending properly, and getting higher tier advisors? Aztec might have an advantage in the latter due to having much more money available. 20s-30s should be doable if your luck isn't good. Of course if your luck is hideous and your first ruler immediately dies and gives you a 0-admin, yeah you are fucked.
Yeah, I had a second level admin adviser for a good chunk of that time. My kings past the first one were all really shitty though.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Tred blobbing with Muscovy=>Russia.
- Overextenstion can put you into 10-15 years of digesting all provinces you've eaten.
- Got coalitions against me stretching from Poland, Denmark to Timurids and Japan. At some point coalition size is just wtf. Fortunately, with Russian ideas about force size and manpower you are able to fight vs half the world alone.
- Income is shit. Most of it goes on support of 150k+ army
- Westernization without religious idea about stability cost decrease is a torture.
So questions:
- What is more profitable - to improve production or put all power into trade?
- Does diplomatic idea about -33% coring cost reduces time to make a core?
- What is more profitable - to collect from trade or other option to send trade down your nodes?

- Got coalitions against me stretching from Poland, Denmark to Timurids and Japan. At some point coalition size is just wtf. Fortunately, with Russian ideas about force size and manpower you are able to fight vs half the world alone.
One thing to note about coalitions is that if you have a truce someone they won't join.

Otherwise yes, it's pretty stupid. The worst is that you can only demand things from the leader. For everyone who isn't the leader of the coalition going to war just means that they get another free truce period in which you can't do anything.

- Income is shit. Most of it goes on support of 150k+ army

Christ, if you have 150k you don't need no income anymore.

(though in my Britain game I hit 140k before quitting. I was making quite a lot of income with good advisors hired)

- What is more profitable - to improve production or put all power into trade?

Are you talking about buildings? I wouldn't improve buildings much if at all if you are behind on tech. But if you have a complex trade route setup, trade, otherwise production/taxation.

- Does diplomatic idea about -33% coring cost reduces time to make a core?

Don't think so. Still an amazing idea tree though. If overextension in the short term is a problem sell the province to a vassal who you will later annex.

- What is more profitable - to collect from trade or other option to send trade down your nodes?
Send it down and collect all in one node. Each merchant gives you a +10% income to the trade sent out, which multiplies with each step.

Not sure if you can get much trade out of Russia though. Controlling trade is dependent on spamming light ships to protect naval route and direct other nations' trade into your coffers. Russia doesn't exactly have many trade routes over sea.

Yeah, I had a second level admin adviser for a good chunk of that time. My kings past the first one were all really shitty though.

Watch your heirs and make them a general if they are shit. That tends to kill them off much faster, even if they aren't used in combat. When your ruler/heir is good, never make them in to a general. Chances are high they will last a long and healthy life.

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
There's a black sea, in which you can build an armada to send trade to Kiev or Crimea. Plus, you have Astrakhan, Novgorod and some other trade nodes on your territory. But trade goods are shit, mostly fur, copper, wool and iron.
IMO buildings is a good investment as at some point you will try to stall your progress to get that 8 tech ahead to westernize. And with that you will easily max national ideas and still have spare MP to build some shit.
Alsom as I understand, merchants are more effective in sending trade upstream, that downsteram?

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Playing France in ironman now.

On hard AI? Otherwise it's more like plasticsman.

Otherwise yes, it's pretty stupid. The worst is that you can only demand things from the leader. For everyone who isn't the leader of the coalition going to war just means that they get another free truce period in which you can't do anything.

That's the point of coalitions.

Don't think so. Still an amazing idea tree though. If overextension in the short term is a problem sell the province to a vassal who you will later annex.

I would go so far and say it is mandatory. Diplo, Economy (or you end up with 60%+ inflation) and probably religion for the doubling of relations over time are a must.

Watch your heirs and make them a general if they are shit. That tends to kill them off much faster, even if they aren't used in combat. When your ruler/heir is good, never make them in to a general. Chances are high they will last a long and healthy life.

The only heirs of mine that live a long and happy life are those that I turn into generals... :mad:

Last edited:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I had my best ever 6-5-6 heir die before he became a ruler. Didnt even change him into a general due to fear of losing him. Like this if u cry every tiem ;_;

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Now im in a war that cant be ended on either side. Fucking vassal-coalition bug shit.

Yea I learned my lesson when coalition leader gave away several of my territories. Now I only enter coalitions a second before I declare war on the target to get extra allies to (ab)use and leave soon after the war.

That's the point of coalitions.

Why would you say that? If I beat France+Spain in a coalition and I want to demand French territory, but Spain is the coalition leader, I can't.

I would go so far and say it is mandatory. Diplo, Economy (or you end up with 60%+ inflation) and probably religion for the doubling of relations over time are a must.

Yes, Diplo is probably the best first pick for anyone not going colonizing. The fact that Diplomacy points are also worth the least of the 3 mana types is important too.

Economy I see no usage in. You can prevent inflation with advisors and later there is an easily-obtainable decision that gives a permanent -.07 inflation I think. Certainly I've never gone over 6% or so, and even then money is still mostly useless in EU4.

Religion... ehh I'm not sure. I couldn't care less if other nations hate me. Only reason I would take it is to make my vassals/PUs like me more so I can annex them faster. And when you reach a certain point of strength all nations will get -200 border friction anyway.

Defensive is pretty much mandatory, since if the AI takes it and you don't you'll have no good way to attack 80k stacks with your 40k stacks. And the AI always takes it.

The only heirs of mine that live a long and happy life are those that I turn into generals... :mad:

Yeah, it happens sometimes.

Last edited:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Economy I see no usage in. You can prevent inflation with advisors
You can't chose adviers like you could in EU3. I never get the inflation reduction guy and I usually end up at 60%+ in the 17th century if I don't get economy. maybe i am doing something wrong, I dunno.
so I can annex them faster.

it drastically improves annexation speed and that is exactly why I take it.

What are you getting the inflation from? AFAIK the only way to cause inflation outside of events is loans. Unless you are a small African/American tribe that gets most of its gold from gold mines.

Checked the decision requirements. "Implement the Gold Standard" requires admin tech 15 to show up. It then requires a current inflation less than 10 and a master of mint hired to activate. After that it gives a permanent -.04 inflation.

Go to message settings and set it to give a message whenever a new advisor arrives if you want to be reminded when one shows up. Shouldn't be hard to get one of what you like over the course of a few decades. You might not be able to reduce inflation to zero by the time they die, but having a small amount of inflation is basically not a problem at all in EU4 compared to EU3 where you wanted 0% since it slowed teching.

Last edited:

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
sweden is a leering, dead eyed rape monster of the north in my game, and their 15% discipline bonus is disgusting and needs placing at the end of their national tree.

i'm burning manpower keeping ukraine alive as a buffer against allied prussia+sweden.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
sweden is a leering, dead eyed rape monster of the north in my game, and their 15% discipline bonus is disgusting and needs placing at the end of their national tree.

i'm burning manpower keeping ukraine alive as a buffer against allied prussia+sweden.
In my game Sweden is Denmark's bitch and never managed to develop.
And how the fuck could you have manpower troubles when Russia is formed? With russian idea completed it's like a cloning facility opens up in every city.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Patch notes 1.1.1c
------------------------
- Lots of localisation fixes (including the localised tutorials)
- Fixed crashes when failing to retrieve resolution (merged 8252)
- Hints and tutorial textboxes can now have scrollbars (fixes for too long text for non english)
- Sound are now disabled on standalone server.
- Chat now works with standalone server.
- Peasants' War more likely to end the longer it has been going on
- Peasants' War will not happen again for at least 10 years
- Fixed broken continent all trigger and fixed adding hidden modifiers.
- Jihad achievement should now work again
- African Power achievement should now work again
- Ruina Imperii achievement should now work again
- Correct version is now listed in serverbrowser
- Fixed crashes when failing to retrieve resolution
- Fixed issue with black areas on TI (bad/old graphics cards)
- Optimized mission and revolt risk alerts
- Optimized when we disable trees/terrain/water/borders
- Multiplayer lobby: Keep scrollbar position when a new server is added
- Fixed savegame lockup when having only one core
- Fixed white glow on Linux cursors
- Fixed some more broken localisations
- Religious rebels can no longer flip the Papacy's capital province
- Religious heathens breaking your country results in large prestige loss
- Religious rebels breaking the Papacy results in a stability loss
- MP: Renamed "Connect to IP" to "Connect to ID"
- MP: Version should now be correct in server browser
- Dx9: If we fail to determine refresh rate, default to 60
- Normal borderfriction now only applies if its the home territory bordering each other.

Luzur

Good Sir
well, i wanted more insight to the family line (like who the fuck births out my heirs? also naming my kids etc) and more heir stuff (brothers starting civil war because i favored one son, son of the dethroned king taking up the rebellion flag against an usurpator), kinda like in Crusader Kings.

other then that, its OK.

Which of the Message Settings options is responsible for random event popups? I'm trying to make the game pause on them, but every option I've tried is off the mark, so far.

Edit: By the way, are there any ways to change state religion?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom