Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frontiers - Daggerfall-inspired exploration-focused indie RPG

Will you donate to Frontiers Codex Cemetery (or maybe something else)?

• Total voters

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I'm using my jewcard here and apologize, but since I just moved to a different city and a different study I have to save my jewgolds for myself at this time. :(

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Wow, this thread actually sent me a personal email to my iPhone. I'm going to hack this game's dataframe German Half Life 2 Kid style and post its source code on Napster.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Update: OP revised

Some of you might have caught a glimpse of the new Kickstarter RPG-Lite named Frontiers in a recent Kickstarter round-up and a more recent interview with the developer. The developer himself, Lars Simkins ie. Railboy, have also been posting in our forums.

I was planning to vote No, and was looking for the most polite manner in which I could tell you to piss off, but then I figured I should at least look at the Kickstarter. "Other games have touched on that elusive feeling, especially Elder Scrolls and early Fallout games, but as fun as they are and as much as I love hardcore RPG mechanics, I've always dreamt of a game that emphasized exploration above all else."

So I'm kind of curious now since I liked the exploration in Morrowind and Fallout, and wonder how much an Indie developer can plug into this particular hiking sim. I'll throw in $15 to help out. The OP pitch did nothing for me.

Also, if this is going to be a Codex project, I think targeting developers with short gravestone epitaphs may be too divisive around here since there are people on the site who will defend just about any old RPG out there. Why not create headstones for Codexers banished to the Watch instead, with epitaphs explaining why with short limericks?

MCA
Update: OP revised

Some of you might have caught a glimpse of the new Kickstarter RPG-Lite named Frontiers in a recent Kickstarter round-up and a more recent interview with the developer. The developer himself, Lars Simkins ie. Railboy, have also been posting in our forums.

I was planning to vote No, and was looking for the most polite manner in which I could tell you to piss off, but then I figured I should at least look at the Kickstarter. "Other games have touched on that elusive feeling, especially Elder Scrolls and early Fallout games, but as fun as they are and as much as I love hardcore RPG mechanics, I've always dreamt of a game that emphasized exploration above all else."

So I'm kind of curious now since I liked the exploration in Morrowind and Fallout, and wonder how much an Indie developer can plug into this particular hiking sim. I'll throw in $15 to help out. The OP pitch did nothing for me.

:salute:

Also, if this is going to be a Codex project, I think targeting developers with short gravestone epitaphs may be too divisive around here since there are people on the site who will defend just about any old RPG out there. Why not create headstones for Codexers banished to the Watch instead, with epitaphs explaining why with short limericks?

Are the Watchwitz banishments permanent? Either way, who cares about them? This will be something permanent within the game, so I'd lean towards leaving a good mark by it being either ego-wanking, nostalgia wanking or just shitting on scumbags. I doubt anyone would object to burying the likes of :hearnoevil: or :balance: or Pitchfork in there, for instance, or memorizing developers from Codex top 10, or even just games. Anyway, I'll need to contact everyone who voted yes.

Lorica

Educated
Hello, thanks for contacting me. I'm sorry, but I'm not in a position to contribute much to this project, either financially or in suggestions for tombstones. I've used my "games in development" budget up for this year.

Repressed Homosexual
Honestly it's true there are dozens if not hundreds of worthwhile projects, but I'm not a charity, and I have only so much time. Going to wait for a humble bundle or similar for indie games from now on, except those who are truly exceptional and keep their value for a very long time.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Might buy the game at release, but I don't have money for it now. Sorry.

Overboard

Arcane

Do note the following post by the dev:
You're right of course, but FRONTIERS isn't nearly as 'big' as it comes across at first blush. I think when people see the trailer and hear 'inspired by Daggerfall' they immediately fill in all these blanks and imagine this rich, super deep RPG experience. That's largely my own fault because I'm using TES as a touchstone. But it's nowhere near that complex - it's entirely focused on exploration, which frees me up to take all kinds of shortcuts.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
If the game has a Hines tombstone, the dev will always fear a Bethesda lawsuit. I don't think using dev names is the way to go.

How much money do we need to gather? If we collectively gather x*$15 then we have x tombstones, is that right?

MCA
We would use anagrams or other creative names or descriptions, if that turns out the kind of thing we all agree on. Plus, it would be tacky and too easy if we used real names straight.

And that is almost correct, if whoever will collect the money can do so without transaction fees. Shouldn't be a problem from most places with private transactions over PayPal, though not all. In two days, I'll ask everyone how they will pay and to see if they have a private transaction option when sending money.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
My deep loathing of hiking simulators is preventing me from donating at this time, maybe i'll pick it up down the line and regret if the Codex raves about it, on a positive note I like the music.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
no

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom