Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Dead State Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
villain of the story Any idea if they'll have a standalone YouTube version with just that part?

Looks AWESOME!!!

Dead State >>> Wasteland 2 .

You're overdoing the fanboy thing

Last edited:
Dear christ that interviewer gets on your nerves.

Looks interesting. Just feels like too much of the npc interactions they're selling the game on get buried under standard survival sim stuff. Maybe they could replace the morale summary and job allocation screen at the end of the day with a group meeting where these things can be discussed, I dunno.

slackerwizrd

Educated
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also, despite having an original release date for December of this year it's still in pre-alpha and the new target is next year. Breathe in that vapor, this is never getting released.

Ahh, minty.

Still not impressed enough even with the obvious alpha problems. sosdd.

Nothing against the guy but did he ask anything of substance at all? I might have missed it.

Yeah.

Q: Number of weapons.
A: Dozens
Q. "What triggers time lapse."
A. "Moving to each zone. And sleeping."
Q. "Do more zombies come out at night"
A. "They're pretty much consistent."
Small discussion about getting new allies.
Small discussion about handling 'jobs' or infirmary designation.

He wasn't completely useless, but there were many questions he could have asked in demonstrating the supermarket, but he only had this fake "OMGZ, SO AWESUM" praise.

Also, DAT FAT

Pizza gud. Beer gud. Mmm, indie developer food.

MCA
Dear christ that interviewer gets on your nerves.

Looks interesting. Just feels like too much of the npc interactions they're selling the game on get buried under standard survival sim stuff. Maybe they could replace the morale summary and job allocation screen at the end of the day with a group meeting where these things can be discussed, I dunno.

My thoughts exactly. A screen with numeric values about other people in the shelter seemed too metagamist to me.

Brian should play Zombie Chronicles to see a text-adventure game that does similar things and handles shelter morale and maintenance in a decent and involving way.

ColCol

Arcane
, I've been checking out the presentations for the last couple hours and I hate the basement dwelling neckbeards pretending to be all hip and grown-up and cool but coming across as even more awkward at best and plain fucking retarded at worst. Goddamn fucking gamers.

No one seemed to be trying to act cool or hip. This comment was so edgy I could use it to shave.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, unlike Wasteland 2, Dead State has normal conversation system. This alone makes it better.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Annie talks about her job. Her other job: http://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=11063

Breaking In - Annie VanderMeer Mitsoda
by DeeJ

With the development of Destiny, we’re working from a vision of an adventure that will surprise you with twists and turns that will deviate from the trail that you’re following. On the road to becoming a legend, you’ll encounter challenges that you weren’t expecting. A great metaphor for how this will feel is the path that one of our designers followed to arrive at Bungie. It just so happens that she’s helping to create the spaces where you’ll adjust your own course. You’ll find that her transcript is as long as her name.

Who are you, and what do you do at Bungie?

AVM: I’m Annie VanderMeer Mitsoda, and I’m a game designer on the Public Events team. That means, when you’re running around various locations in Destiny (be it the dusty plains of Mars or the vegetation-choked ruins of Venus) and you see a warning about an event nearby, I’m lucky enough to have had a hand in creating it. I help decide the structure of certain event archetypes – the cover available to the player, the flow of the combat, the player objectives – and take charge of their placement in certain locations.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
From a MMO to an always-online console role playing shooter.
There’s an LA Fitness next door, and the free membership there is perfect for getting me up and moving on Monday/Wednesday/Friday. It’s a great kick in the butt to shed the suet of my sedentary lifestyle! And man, so many Bungie employees are in such good shape it’s preposterous. Like so many other things at Bungie, it’s like “man, look how cool that is, I want to do something that cool” – instead it’s like “Holy crap, Bungie folks are super fit, I must make that happen for meeee.”
Brian better step up his game.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New update...

Project Update #32: Post-PAX Update

Thanks to everyone that came out and saw us at PAX! We had a great showing and the crowds were unstoppable at the Indie Megabooth this year. With so many amazing games on display, it was no surprise that the Indie Megabooth was one of the most popular areas on the showfloor. We also want to give a big shoutout to all the other indie developers that we met and that came by to talk shop. Unfortunately, we didn’t have time to play many games this year, but the Megabooth was proof that this is one of the most amazing times to be a gamer. Despite the long hours and extra day, we had an absolutely great time showing off Dead State for the first time and meeting so many backers.

Dead_State_Team_PAX.jpg

(From left to right: Mazin - GUI/Concept/Models Artist, Oscar - Lead Artist, Christina - Producer, Jake - DB Testing/Science Dept, Brian - Project Lead, Annie - Design/Writing)

Since PAX was the first time many of us have ever been in the same room at the same time, we took the time to study playthroughs and take notes as a group. While most of us had already made a lot of notes on our demo build, having the chance to watch people play through the demo gave us a lot of insight into first-time player issues. We came away with about several emails worth of improvements for our interface, combat, and presentation, which will all be applied in the near future or during beta-testing. In all, the demo prepared us all for the work that needs to be done on the path to the Beta version of the game and will help us polish the gameplay in ways that should be immediate the next time we show off the build extensively.

If you missed out on coverage of Dead State on the showfloor, here’s a link to our segment on Twitch TV:

http://www.twitch.tv/twitch/b/455418215?t=225m

We were also mentioned in PC Gamer’s post-PAX podcast (thanks to Evan and TJ for playing through the demo):

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/09/04/pc-gamer-podcast-362-pax-2013-recap/

Our demo was about 45 minutes long if players stuck around for the whole thing, which a surprising number of people did stay for (note to self, more demo machines next year) – we were targeting 20 minutes and overshot a bit. We truncated the opening of the game to some text and a conversation to get players into the game faster.

The first day consisted of Llano Commercial to get parts from the hardware store (we’ve shown this before) and then we steered the player back to the shelter for some rest and daily results, which show a summary of the day’s events and supplies consumed. Next, we had some conversations in the morning that gave player a whole host of new options for exploration and the shelter. Players were able to assign party and repair the shelter’s fence on the job board, then it was off to the area map for a decision to either hit up a nearby supermarket or Llano Residential. We jacked up the difficulty on the second day (especially in the Supermarket), so very few people made it through day two with their life or their allies’ lives intact. Some of you may have also noticed your allies or enemies get up as zombies after being killed. In all, the demo did a pretty good job at showing a brief slice of Dead State’s gameplay.

We had two other announcements at the show. First, Dead State will unfortunately slip into early 2014 so that we can take the time to polish up the experience as much as possible. As much as we would like to ship this year, delays sometimes happen with software development and we would rather launch as polished and bug free as is possible. We definitely want to deliver the game we promised, so we would rather take the extra time then cut content or features. You only launch once, so it’s best to get it right the first time.

However, for those that backed us and for those that pre-order, we will make an extended version of our PAX demo available to you later this year, which should give those of you itching to play the game a small bit of Dead State until the full game hits. We’ll have more on this later this year.

With PAX over, it’s back to working towards Beta for us. For anyone who saw us at the show, feel free to give us your impressions here or on the forums.

Brian looks like a giant!! :eek: Plus, is he wearing a wig?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So Mazin is the t-rex guy. What a thoroughly unimpressive "artist."

We came away with about several emails worth of improvements for our interface, combat, and presentation, which will all be applied in the near future or during beta-testing.
Wasteland 2 and Eternity-style damage numbers must surely be one of those improvements.

From the dev state of the game, early 2014 is a pipe dream. But that doesn't make it vaporware.
Apparently they lied/misspoke about it being pre-alpha, it's alpha.

Also that ~$300,000 they got isn't going to last forever.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

1.95 m at least. Plus a belly, equals to a solid 120 kg :D.

Hair is dyed, I am sure. Influence of Annie and too much time with V:Bloodlines no doubt. :troll:

On topic: So, is that a whole team? Or are you guys outsourcing some work as well?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
LOL How do you know this? :lol:
It was listed as 6'6 on his myspace page. I'm pretty sure it's all gone now, they made the layout worse and worse and of course everyone abandoned that eyesore once Facebook removed the .edu e-mail address restriction to sign up.

Chris Avellone's old myspace page taught me that he's a 5'7 manlet. :cool:

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
LOL How do you know this? :lol:
It was listed as 6'6 on his myspace page. I'm pretty sure it's all gone now, they made the layout worse and worse and of course everyone abandoned that eyesore once Facebook removed the .edu e-mail address restriction to sign up.

Chris Avellone's old myspace page taught me that he's a 5'7 manlet. :cool:
5'7? Heh, with the muscle mass he seems to be gaining lately, perhaps MCA is going for the short & buff look? :bounce:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
He is a giant. I met him and Annie both in Seattle years ago, Brian is one of those plus-sized humans. Not even tall and lanky, just BIG. And I'm pretty sure that's his hair, don't think it's dyed, he's had that black/grey thing going on for some time now.

5'7 sounds about right for MCA, I stood like a full head taller than him and I'm 5'11. He's definitely a fit guy tho, quite the fitness buff.

On topic: So, is that a whole team? Or are you guys outsourcing some work as well?
There's 15 people total per this interview

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
It was said millions times before, but I have to say it: ROGUEY IS A CREEPY INTERNETZ STALKER!!!

Just because of it, never try to ban him! No matter how often he is quoting Sawyer :salute:

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
There's 15 people total per this interview

Though, that's probably not a core number. More like 4-5 full time plus hired freelancers (working on specific workload)? Would like to see a breakdown of the work.

Forgive my ignorance, but, how does it look typically for this sort of small budget games? (but with a budget!)

I guess, you have game designer/often writer/project director. Then you need some support writer to share the lore workload. Then, coder, which is probably often taking care of engine functionalities and possibly of AI systems. Probably some other guy to support that? I guess setting mechanics right is a challenge.
Then you need one 2D and one 3D artist (giving directions of how things should look like plus creating concepts/models).
Probably sound designer as well.

And finally, you are outsourcing the rest (loads of stuff that you can't do within core team, i.e., more 2d and 3d graphics, more sound, more writing).

Does it sound right? Or it doesn't work that way?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom