Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie DrDungeon's Ultizurk and MADMAN Thread

Jashiin

Arcane
Looks good, also it's ChoOse wisely :oops:

DrDungeon

Developer
Fixed, Jashiin - that paragraph was a quick filler, which has now been finalized. Kickass - I was going to combine steal and pickpocket, but decided that stealing is more like taking things from a chest, while pickpocketing is more of a talent requiring finesse to grab something from a person's pocket without him knowing. Don't get caught! You'll be sent to the terrible Blasted Lands of volcanic fire and brimstone! Of course, there may be reasons you want to go there...

Franco - you ask the ultimate question. MadMan is largely based on Joseph Conrad's literary classic, "Lord Jim". Jim had jumped into a life boat from a sinking ship and watched as people died on that ship, knowing that if it weren't for his cowardice, someone else could have taken his place in the life boat. This haunted him for the rest of his life. Years later, he ran into a similar situation. And this time he didn't run, and no one knew the real reason, that he was restoring his lost sense of honor, commensurate with a dignified and noble death.

So the madman is a similar character, bordering on madness because of the guilt he feels over a bad situation that happened back in his own land. He finds himself in a new land, where the people and situations seem to be an odd reflection of his inner turmoil, and where he may have to sacrifice his very life to avert the ultimate danger threatening the land...

Although I wrote up his personality many years ago, I suppose the madman could be thought of as a cross between someone like the "Witcher" and TNO from Planescape.

Right now I'm finishing up the "roll over" system where you get detailed information about everything on the create panel by moving the mouse. After that, the manual. Final chore is the save and load game functions, and the game itself is basically done. Maybe 2 weeks of work.

The real issue looms. ART! There's only so much I can do on my own - many portraits need to be made, and possibly a few cut scenes.

Since MadMan is very character-driven, and I went to great lengths to make each NPC have a distinctive personality. Quality portraits are a must. What I'm thinking here is portraits similar to those in a game like Icewind Dale, which I thought were very nice. This could be costly indeed, but with the rest of the game nearly done, it has indeed become the biggest problem.
- Dr. D.

DrDungeon

Developer
Here's some sample journal entries from generic rpg games:

Quest #1:
Kill the troll outside Dave's house. Return to Dave to collect your reward. (50gp)

Quest #2:
Kill the evil witch north of town. Return to the mayor for your reward. (75gp)

Quest #3:
Joe the elf lost his hat in the woods. Return Joe's hat to him for a reward. (25gp)

Quest #4:
Convince Bandit Leader 10 to leave town or kill him. Return to Bill Smith for your reward. (100gp)

Here's a few sample journal entries from "MADMAN":

"Rare Artifacts"
Elise is the curator of the Artists Guild in Riverview. The guild
showcases many treasures. If I find similar things around the land
she will buy them. More interestingly there are several rare
artifacts like a huge ruby fire gem which she thinks belongs to
someone. There's also a lovely Ring of Dew of unknown purpose.

The strangest items are the cigars and lollipops. These are
immensely powerful. The cigar can apparently level an entire
group of enemies just by smoking it! The lollipop will cure
ill effects like poison and disease and restore health. I should
keep a lookout for these and use them only in great need.

"Vortex Quarters"
Bahgeza, leader of the wereshades, tells me of a legend
involving the golden vortex quarters like the one I got in the
castle. These four must be united together on a group of four
altars in a place of power, like a volcanic region. He suggests
looking somewhere in Riverview, which was once volcanic.

This would likely be one of the dungeons around there. I
should do a little exploring. More interestingly, Bahgeza feels
quests like this are part of some vast ritual of unknown origin.
The ritual appears in lore and legend. I believe it may involve
protecting the people from some unknown danger.

Many of the things I've seen and done in this land appear as
if they were set up by some elder race. Perhaps these many
quests are a test of worth? I don't know where its all leading.
Yet I feel compelled to keep going. Something tells me its
important, but I'm not sure why.

The wereshades themselves have proven to be a noble and
honorable race. I am quite humbled by their kindness and
surprising humor. I am also sad they had a falling out with
some of their clan long ago. It certainly explains the bad
ones I've met. Food for thought, that's for certain.

KickAss

Augur
Kickass - I was going to combine steal and pickpocket, but decided that stealing is more like taking things from a chest, while pickpocketing is more of a talent requiring finesse to grab something from a person's pocket without him knowing. Don't get caught! You'll be sent to the terrible Blasted Lands of volcanic fire and brimstone! Of course, there may be reasons you want to go there...
Thanks for the answer Dr.D! I guess it makes sense. Can you give an example of a use of "steal" compared to "pick locks"?

PeeWee

Augur
"Pick Locks"
"Steal"

KickAss, as for the difference, judging from Dr. Dungeon’s work, I think "Pick Locks" means picking locks from chests, doors and maybe trapdoors, not always needed for stealing but also for finding your way.

Things Dr. Dungeon still has to complete in the new "MadMan" are:
- the saving and loading
- the art, including portraits and maybe cut-scenes
- playing through the game and testing

We are also still waiting for the major announcement.

DrDungeon

Developer
Yo Kickass! Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Thanks for the heads-up as usual PW!

If you want to steal, it usually involves going into someone's house and opening a chest. They don't mind that. But when you try to pick something up from the chest, it runs through a skill check. If you are good enough, the item is yours. If not, "What the hell happened?" - you find yourself inside the Master Of Justice's place, and no exit!! There's some cells in there and nearby a room with bloody remains, some tools and even a bloody butcher's knife.

You talk to Maria and she yells at you, explains how she found out you stole something, then off to the terrible Blasted Lands you go!

With lock picking, if its a door, it does a skill check. You may just fail, or you could even break a pick and they're a little expensive and hard to find.
So one must be wary as they may need picks for important stuff like a passage to some dungeon, vs. a chest of goodies.

Its the same with a locked chest. You literally take a pick from your inventory and click it on the door or chest.
Now the chest also might explode, there's about 1 in 3 that are rigged, so there is another skill check for your Detect Traps skill. If you detect the trap, it is then reported that you opened the lock plus successfully disarmed the trap.

If you don't detect the trap, it blows up along with half your hit points, and he says, "Well, at least I blew the lock off!", so you can still get the stuff inside.

The whole system works well and I'm happy with the balance after adjusting some of the values a little. I didn't want it to be super impossible to unlock anything when at lower levels, but didn't want it to be too easy either, encouraging the player to pump some points into lockpicking.

I went to great lengths to make sure all the skills in MadMan play an important role. Not one is more important than the other, which allows the player to evolve his character according to his style.

DrDungeon

Developer
Here's a sneak peek at some of the books in MadMan. All books are useful to read.

Exotic Weapons Book I - by Archie of Watercross

The battle-hardened adventurer with a decent amount of skill in melee has little
trouble taking out an enemy with a good sword or even a club, especially if he's
strong. But what to do if an enemy is just too powerful? What options are there?

Bring out the exotic weapons! Various bizarre weapons can be very useful against
the right enemy. For example, a dweller has a rock-like skin. In this case, the mighty
war hammer will give a plus 3 to any hit, making even a weak person rather strong
if he chooses this smashing weapon against that armor! The same weapon is even
better against skeletons. Those bones will smash apart with a plus 5 bonus!

All these values are in addition to the weapons' normal damage estimate. Ghosts
got you down? They move quickly and often vanish. The Bill-guisarme is your friend!
This odd weapon has the stopping power of a spear and ax at once, tearing through
the ghost with a plus 5 bonus! Its thrusting power is excellent against the spooky orbs
also, who are weak but have many hit points. Another plus 5 with the 'Bill' on them!

One of the oddest weapons is the Bec-de-Corbin. A hammer and hook on one end,
a big spike on the other. Fire elementals will feel the pain with a plus 3 when using
'Old Becky' on them! The many blades and spikes on the bec make quick work of
the elemental's semi-ethereal body. And because of its reach, the nasty thrashers
sneaking up on you won't see the plus 5 about to whack them! See book II for more!

Exotic Weapons Book II - by Archie of Watercross

Do you like fire spiders? Probably not. These guys really move. Bring out your
flail! Nothing moves faster than a flail. Not even fire spiders. Thus one gets a plus
4 bonus when using a flail against fire spiders. So what about those golden gazers?

They are powerful in many ways. But so is the weird and whacky Glaive-guisarme.
Its got a hook on it. And a dagger-like thing on the end. Gazers don't last long against
such a weapon. A plus 3 bonus will down them in short order. Use the glaive on them!
Ok, so you got a dozen snake men around you. Or you got a terrible wereshade who
wants your head. And probably your heart. What to do? Bring out the Trident!

It is for good reason that this weapon is seen in myth and lore! Sure, you could
probably fish with it. But those three prongs and the long reach are pretty darn
good against snake men and their many sling stones. They never get a chance to
swing it past three sharp prongs, several of which are likely to stick him with a
plus 5 bonus. Snake men are everywhere, so keep that trident handy!

Then there's the terrible wereshade. Mighty trident in hand, close on him quickly
and you'll stab him with a plus 4 bonus. A few hits like that, and he's a goner.
So, great explorer. Be wise. Take the right weapons with you and fight smart.
Unless you're real good with a dagger or your fists, or you're a level 20 superman,
its wise to battle with the right stuff. Archie's got your back, man!

PeeWee

Augur
Now we all have the same avatar.

I think Dr. Dungeon mentioned something to me relating to:
1 his avatar on this forum (which has now disappeared)
2 the new "MadMan"

I do not remember what he said.

Infinitron, if it is okay, can you talk to me in a private conversation and tell me what you told Dr. Dungeon?

Deuce Traveler, as for your question
"Do I detect some Madman and Ultizurk icons coming to the avatar lists?", my answer is: there will not be any of those icons, as far as I know.

I think Dr. Dungeon just wanted to see what other people were talking about without anything new to report.

I do not know if Dr. Dungeon finished "Character Create".

As far as I can tell, Dr. Dungeon will probably not make it, the major announcement and releasing the new "MadMan" before November 2013. It now looks like those 2 will be in November 2013 or December 2013.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Infinitron, if it is okay, can you talk to me in a private conversation and tell me what you told Dr. Dungeon?

I offered him a custom avatar. Tell him to get on the forum and tell us what he wants.

DrDungeon

Developer
I wouldn't mind meeting the girl they're using for the default avatar right now. In the meantime, yes Infinitron, I will be happy to use a custom avatar. Do you mean one I need to link to somewhere?

Also, the main work on MadMan right now is dealing with the zillions of variables needed in the save and load game function. That's really all that's left of the main programming. After that its a lot of miscellaneous stuff.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wouldn't mind meeting the girl they're using for the default avatar right now. In the meantime, yes Infinitron, I will be happy to use a custom avatar. Do you mean one I need to link to somewhere?

Yes, post a link to it here.

DrDungeon

Developer
MADMAN IS DONE!

All that's needed is remaining artwork from a real artist, mostly portraits. Any suggestions?

Jashiin

Arcane
:love:Can't wait, infinibro and others will be able to give you solid advice on how to proceed with the release.

Indranys

Savant
Someone call Prosper or JarlFrank to help the good doctor!!11
And yeah I can't wait too.
Looks cool so far.
Well, I'm a U7 fag. The more U7 inspired games I can buy, the better.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

PeeWee

Augur
Hello, gentlemen and ladies.

To everybody:
Dr. Dungeon has a picture. I have sent it to Deuce Traveler through e-mail. Dr. Dungeon wants this picture as his new avarar / icon.

To Infinitron:
Thank you for your private conversation.

To Deuce Traveler:
Please first check your e-mail and then check your private conversation and make sure Dr. Dungeon can use this picture as avatar / icon and see your private conversations about that. Thank you in advance from me (PW) and Dr. Dungeon.

To everybody:
In the City of Gold and White in the new "MadMan" there will be robots, that look like the bubble Dr. Dungeon used to have as avatar / icon. Dr. Dungeon says about the picture he wants as his new avatar / icon: "This new one is actually what scientists think a SIX dimensional object might look like!"

PeeWee

Augur
In August 2013 Dr. Dungeon wrote, among other things, on page 15 of this thread, about the new "MadMan":

"We're getting close to "crunch" mode here."

I asked Dr. Dungeon:

"What is "crunch" mode and when shall we be in "crunch" mode?"

Dr. Dungeon explained to me that "crunch" mode is sort of what he was in last week. It is when a project is nearing completion and everyone works like mad on it, often to meet a deadline. Dr. Dungeon said he had heard tales from a company when they were still around, the makers of the "Ultima" games which inspired a lot of Dr. Dungeon’s work. They actually stayed at the workplace, sleeping in the kitchen, growing beards and ordering food as take-out and basically doing nothing but work on the game. That is "crunch" mode.

Dr. Dungeon also said:
"In the game "Ultima 7", a masterpiece indeed, there is a book you read at one point that pokes a little fun at this idea - they called the book "NO ONE GOES HOME!"."

Now we know "crunch" mode is over for the new "MadMan".

I, PW, have 3 questions.

About Dr. Dungeon’s OLD avatar / icon:
If anybody still possesses it, could he / she put it in this thread as a screenshot, since the robots in the City of Gold and White in the new "MadMan" will look something like this?

About Dr. Dungeon’s NEW avarar / icon:
Can it be arranged that Dr. Dungeon will use it as his new avatar / icon, so he does not look like me, PW, anymore?

About the art / artist:
If anybody has any more suggestions, please report them in this thread.

Everybody, thank you for your time, for reading all this and for your help.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom