Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cube World: Voxel Based Indie ARPG

toroid

Arcane
Store is accessible again, but why would I want to buy it? They've said that there won't be any mod support.

What the fuck? A game like this is gonna get boring as fuck without mods.

Must be planning to sell lots of DLC.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Not worth getting in its current state. Leveling, itemization, skills and combat are all simplistic and shit, and there's really nothing meaningful to do in the world; you either grind mobs or do "quests" (you get new ones daily, and there's only one quest type: kill a boss with assload of HP; enjoy 10 minutes of repetitive fighting).

There's some potential, but not much else.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Looks like shit. It will still be banal, shit, boring even if you make it out of blocks.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I thopught Voxel GFX allowed for smooth landscapes like in Comanche, and not this lego-style.

Yes, however they cannot be hardware-accelerated. For 3d-accelerated voxel graphics one voxel becomes one cube. It's really not voxels anymore, but everyone keeps calling these titles "voxel" because it's a ... new word... I guess.

Borelli

Arcane
I played this game for about 30 minutes, was fun but diablo skill trees(+ 3.75% to a skill! woo hoo!) + infinite map + no long term goal aside from getting more levels means that down the line it will get boring.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Planned: Advanced Skill Trees
We're planning to add more complex skill trees with additional skills, branches, and options.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Games like this (whose focus is exploration) boil down to how many times you can find something that changes the way you play. You need to find an item or learn a skill that lets you double jump, swim, wall jump, dash, walk on water, burrow through walls, etc. for it to remain interesting. If all you ever have to look forward to are small incremental increases in power there's little point in exploring.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Who knows -- it might have that. It's still only an alpha. It seems a pretty close approximation to Terraria.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
For an alpha release there's a surprising amount of content in the game and working. Haven't encountered any bugs or crashes so far. I know many devs would be tempted to call this the retail version. Got it today and played it a bit with friends. It's pretty fun although I wouldn't recommend it unless you have bros to play it with.

Donny

Literate
I found this game hard as hell... I tried killing shit and ended up dieing most of the times, I like how the night works although it could be a little faster paced when sleeping.
But other than that, it's quite cool.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Huh? This game wasn't that hard. I was kiting most mobs with a rogue and doing just fine. Just stock up on health potions.

Donny

Literate
Well I don't know why... maybe I ventured forth way too fast and ended up battling mobs that had like 2k HP each. ^^

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, I'm not sure if it's dead or he's just taking forever, though. It took him forever to get the game to a playable alpha state and it is only two and a half months after alpha release. I'm getting a bit concerned, but I won't give up hope just yet.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The guy tended to go months and months without updating. Something you can't really do now that you've actually sold a product.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I can't disagree with that. It would be nice if he could at least make a community update every once in a while so that we at least know he didn't kick the bucket in the meantime.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Activity on his forums seems to have died, too. Almost as if he's locked them or something? Don't see any posts more recent than two months old.

Cynic

Arcane
The talk of using save states in old school platformers disgusts me.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
12 days ago, after a silence of almost 5 years, Wollay released footage of Cube World's new Title Screen!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom