Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review First NWN2 review - 81% (without the toolset)

elander_

Arbiter
One thing i would love to see is an rpg that gives player the choice to pickup pre-made characters that come with their own quests and specific content, places, items and so on. Its virtualy impossible to force every single character into the same linear main quest + side quests system and have a solid role-playing experience. Regardless NWN2 toolkit alone makes up for everything else.

Azarkon

Arcane
I think it's pretty reasonable for the OC to be 81%, given that it's made with a toolset in mind, which obviously carries with it certain limitations. With the toolset, the game (according to PC Format) is 91%, which makes it on par with any of Bio's creations. Though, as always, your mileage will surely differ based on what you're looking for in these games.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Indeed, we here at the Codex shouldn't be looking to closely at a reviewers score. Then, we are left with nothing but the hypocrisy of not playing a game because it scored low, and berating developers for rating a game we wouldn't play high (here's looking at you Oblivion). 81% is a "good" score. What is far more important from what Codex wants from RPGs is a specific type of gameplay. And in the current industry standard of praising ever simplifying gameplay, a few points knocked off the score is a promising sign. Hmmm.. I should go read that review.

Zomg

Arbiter
obediah said:
By allowing rest anywhere, you take the adventure out of the game. It becomes a chain of independent battles, where everyone is comfortable burning most of their hp and casting all their spells. I guess the concept of holding something back is too subtle for todays kids.

What annoys me is that, if you're going to have instant rest and meaningless time, you should probably make every fight an individually interesting set piece meant to be completed at "full health". Lots of P&P works out that way, where people have "one fight a session" type games with involved rulesets like GURPS. I don't understand the dependence on lawnmowing combat if you're not going to at least take some cues from (pretty marginal) survival gameplay. Yet, they go through the motions of dungeon crawler games that are very survival biased. More cargo cult game design I guess.

Edit - Oops, replied to the first post in the series. Point already made, my bad.

Drakron

Arcane
Problem with that is players might simply adventure forward intead of fighting = win = rest = repeat ... I know that I usually keep going until I have no choice but to restore my characters.

D&D does push towards a attrition model since you only get spells restored once per day and even if you can, usually, rest at any place there are consequences for it (such as end up in a random encounter), NWN2 seems to continue NWN trend but also adding the "party NPCs dont die, they are simply knocked out until the end of the battle" mechanic.

Avin

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Tell Gary Gyax that. That's exactly what his version of D&D was. And, oh, D&D has bosses. they're usually called the main villains or antagonists. I wish you'd stop lying. It embarasses you.

Gygax was never a storyteller. Bosses? Well, you can name airplanes "things that fly", little troll.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Ladonna said:
Medieval total war 2, the very game I thought would need the most clout
On an Athlon 64 3600+, 1 GB of RAM and a GeForce 6600 GT 256 MB I get a maximum of 10 FPS during the battles, just FYI. (Talking about the demo of course.)

Seven

Erudite
Elwro said:
Ladonna said:
Medieval total war 2, the very game I thought would need the most clout
On an Athlon 64 3600+, 1 GB of RAM and a GeForce 6600 GT 256 MB I get a maximum of 10 FPS during the battles, just FYI. (Talking about the demo of course.)

Do you have the settings maxed? It runs quite well and my system and my processor is only a P4 2.4 GHz and my graphics card is a year and a half old with only 128 MB, although I do have 1.5 GDs of ram...

Ladonna

Arcane
Elwro: I take it you have the NEW demo? Not the old unoptimised one?

The new one was released about a week ago. Try looking for it if you don't have it, but if you cannot find it, i will go searching for it for you.

sheek

Arbiter
Anybody know if the 'rest anywhere' ability is built into the engine? Will mods suffer from the same glitch? Because that would fucking suck.

jeansberg

Liturgist
I think I read that's tied to the difficulty setting. So, if you play with 'hardcore D&D' you won't be able to rest anywhere. I could be wrong, though.

Zomg said:
obediah said:
By allowing rest anywhere, you take the adventure out of the game. It becomes a chain of independent battles, where everyone is comfortable burning most of their hp and casting all their spells. I guess the concept of holding something back is too subtle for todays kids.

What annoys me is that, if you're going to have instant rest and meaningless time, you should probably make every fight an individually interesting set piece meant to be completed at "full health". Lots of P&P works out that way, where people have "one fight a session" type games with involved rulesets like GURPS. I don't understand the dependence on lawnmowing combat if you're not going to at least take some cues from (pretty marginal) survival gameplay. Yet, they go through the motions of dungeon crawler games that are very survival biased. More cargo cult game design I guess.

Edit - Oops, replied to the first post in the series. Point already made, my bad.

One game that did this very well - don't kill me - was the JRPG Riviera. You started every battle at full health, unless a character was deaded, so each fight was challenging and interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom