Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2 10 hour impressions!

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Yep, I'd estimate I'm at about 10 hours of gameplay, give or take. Actually, probably just take. Anyways, here's been my experience so far.

Pick up DVD version pre-order. Ooogle at the 80 page manual with glossy pages. Then I tried to insall, and I get a message asking me to put in install disc 1. There is no install disc 1, its all on that DVD. I try it on an older computer incapable of handling the gameplay but with a DVD drive, it does indeed start to install. No one has posted any similar problems on the tech forums, so I just bite the bullet and exchange it for a CD version. This install just fine, and SEVEN CDs later I can play.

My specs: 3.2 ghz Pentium 4, 1 gig RAM, 7800GS (256 MB). I think the graphics look great and I'm not getting any noticeably bad performance. I haven't even checked the settings though. Its enough for me to just know it looks fine.

Next up is character creation. If you played the original Neverwinter then you know pretty much what to expect. However, there is a new race (planetouched) and almost all races has numerous sub categories that are pretty different from each other in terms of ability modifiers and favored classes. For example, under elf you have the drow sub-race along with sun, moon, and wood elves. There are 12 possible classes to start from, including the brand new warlock class, which looks like some sort of direct damage spell caster. Also, for what I assume is for the main campaign only, you can pick a "Background" which gives you some minor bonuses and penalties, and the other characters will speak to you with your background in mind.

For my character, I created an Aasimir, a mostly human with just a bit of angel in their blood. I made him a lawful good cleric with more of a spell focus. Can't remember dominions off the top of my head.

MINOR SPOILERS START HERE

The tutorial is actually you trying to win the harvest fair cup, it is a competition for the young of the village to help emphasis their need to be strong, since the village is often attacked by swamp creatures. To help you out the game teams you up with two child hood friends, your first henchmen, who are a fighter and a wizard. I found winning it be fairly easy, and the only real challenge was the brawl.

After winning, or failing if its possible, you skip ahead to later that night when the town is invaded by strange dwarves and other creatures. Your first quest is to gather up the scattered town militia in order to fight the invaders in force. There are multiple ways to do this. Some people are injured. As a cleric I was able to use my faith to heal them. If I had been a chaotic evil bastard, I had the option to slit their throats. Other people can be convinced to leave their homes using diplomacy, intimindation, or other "methods of persuasion".

After this you are sent to the city of Neverwinter (I'm skipping details here, such as the fact you have a foster father and a broken piece of silver). Getting to Neverwinter seems to be setting the stage for the rest of the game. There are a few missions you have to do, but a lot more optional quests. For example, there is a fort on the way to the city whose commander has gone missing and his replacement refuses to run patrols necessary to keep merchants safe. Meanwhile, soldiers are harassing travelers since there is a bounty on "bandits" and they aren't to picky. You can do a quest to save the commander from a necromancer, but on the way back to the fort the replacement will confront you and say the real commander is to be arrested or just outright killed. I managed to successfully use intimidate to get his muscle to stand down and there was no fight (though I worry there was no die role either).

Upon arriving at Neverwinter you'll lean a bit more about a shard and where to go next, Black Lake, the ritzy part of town. Unfortunately, there was a murdered noble men there and the section has been totally sealed off. From here you have two options. You can currey favor with the local thieves in the hopes they have a secret way in, or you can join the city watch and fight the thieves in hopes you'll get permission to enter the disctrict. Being lawful good, there really was only one option for me. You then spend time rooting out the corruption. Interestingly enough, even after joining the City Watch you can still accept bribes from the thieves or extort money out of other people. I didn't try these routes, but they are there.

MINOR SPOILERS STOP HERE

And thats about where I am now story wise. My big complaint would be with the camera. Though you have 4 different modes, all of them seem to have problems. It can be pretty difficult to navigate around and see everything thats happening. Beyond that, the combat is... OK. They did a much better job then the original OC simply by having less of it. Spacebar is the pause key so its easy to to figure out what to do. The interface is pretty different then the original. I'm still getting use to it, but hitting F brings up a list of all the spells you have memorized so you can quickly select one and cast it.

Anyone have any other questions? It seems like I'm just getting my toes wet.

Thrawn05

Scholar
*stands up*

I have a question. How customizable is the UI? I remember the NWN demo you can open and close some menus but you couldn't move them around.

Inziladun

Magister
(though I worry there was no die role either)

There was a die role, I failed that check and had to kill the guy.

Anyway, add some spoiler warnings.

I have a question. How customizable is the UI? I remember the NWN demo you can open and close some menus but you couldn't move them around.

You can move around chat windows and such, but I havn't tried moving around the Menu/rest button or anything.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Eh? There's just as much combat. :roll:

Thrawn: You can remove some of the menus; but unless I'm missing something in the options; there is no customization and/or ability to move them around....

Inzi: Take your spoiler warnings and shove them. This is an impressions threrad. If you weren't expecting impressions and spoilers; I may be a dumbfuck but you are a retard.

Inziladun

Magister
Volourn said:
Inzi: Take your spoiler warnings and shove them. This is an impressions threrad. If you weren't expecting impressions and spoilers; I may be a dumbfuck but you are a retard.

Fuck you, giving impressions of the game doesn't mean "I'm going to tell you exactly what happens in the first 10 hours of the game"

Yes. Do you expect the online servers to have more Righteously Uber Planetouched or Heroically Noble Drow Striving To Dispel Their Race's Evil Stereotype?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Inzi: then don't read fuckin' these threadsa. if you can't handle spoilers get OFF THE FUCKING INTERNET! It's Spoiler Land!

When you free the captured villagers from the bandits you get attacked by many as you try to escape the bandit camp!

L0L0L0L0L0L0LLIPOP

Drakron

Arcane
Err ... any hints of how romance are because I am not even going to suffer the horror if KotOR2 romances if I can avoid it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I've encountered no romances; but I;m a dwarf so I don;'t any of the females would be inetrested anyways. And, one of the females is so annoying, the only thing i'd romance her with is my axe cutting off her ehad like a tree... and, the scary thing is, I'm LG.

R00fles!

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Whoa! Don't you fret. I think I told you less then what a developers journal would have told you. I'm just touching the highlights. There is a lot more going on. I could point out all the plot development I left out, but that would sort of defeat the purpose of it, wouldn't it? Either way, I'll add spoiler warnings.

About that UI, I really haven't tried to customize it myself. However, I did notice you can very easily move the boxes around by clicking on a tiny tab found on most displays.

If I were to ever go online, which is a big if, I think I'd find a ton of 'tards regardless of race and alignment.

suibhne

Erudite
Volourn said:
I've encountered no romances; but I;m a dwarf so I don;'t any of the females would be inetrested anyways. And, one of the females is so annoying, the only thing i'd romance her with is my axe cutting off her ehad like a tree... and, the scary thing is, I'm LG.

I buy that you're a dwarf, but there's no way in hell you're LG.

Wait, were you talking about a game?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Don' t fuckin' succumb to his whining. Don't be a coward, Greatatlantic. Your first post was fuckin' fine. Fuck him. Fuck him to hell with a certain tiefling.

R00fles!

Stupid Sub. Moron sacarcasm much? I'm 6' in RL. Idiot.

Drakron

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
For example, under elf you have the drow sub-race along with sun, moon, and wood elves.
Why no tea-time or afternoon elves?

Now, now ... you dont want me to go into a rant over elven subraces do you ...

Inziladun

Magister
Greatatlantic said:
Whoa! Don't you fret. I think I told you less then what a developers journal would have told you. I'm just touching the highlights. There is a lot more going on. I could point out all the plot development I left out, but that would sort of defeat the purpose of it, wouldn't it? Either way, I'll add spoiler warnings

I didn't follow the developement so I wouldn't really know what was said. But I've gotten right up to the village with the Ships and you've pretty much described the entire game for me right up to that point.

Anyway, was anyone able to get rid of that annoying Demon-Thief thing? She's a painful reminder of Bioware's Character structure (IE: One badass, one annoying twelve-year old, one wise person, one hotty who will romance you, one annoying dude who has emotional issues and a few randoms to fill out the pack)

The Demon-Thief thing is making an excellent annoying Twelve-year old right now.

Don' t fuckin' succumb to his whining. Don't be a coward, Greatatlantic. Your first post was fuckin' fine. Fuck him. Fuck him to hell with a certain tiefling.

You dumbfuck. I can see you whining your little Bioware-cock-sucking mouth off if you weren't that far into the game already.

Lollerz

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Inziladun said:
Anyway, was anyone able to get rid of that annoying Demon-Thief thing? She's a painful reminder of Bioware's Character structure (IE: One badass, one annoying twelve-year old, one wise person, one hotty who will romance you, one annoying dude who has emotional issues and a few randoms to fill out the pack)

Well, I feel like I need a rogue in my party, so no. However, I'm pretty sure I have anothing team member now, so I could replace her if I wanted to.

The Public Enemy

Educated
Jebus fucking fuck this game has been out for like 2 days and you've played it for 10 hours? What the fuck is this shit? Goddamn it. Goddamn it all the way to hell.

Still, here's a question for your valiant bravery, comrade –
Do the special races like half-demon and whatever the fuck it is change anything to the NPCs' reactions/quest possibilities? Do they mind if you got shit coming out of your forehead and so on? Or do we only get a "ah, you are a [PCRace], how unappropriate." ? Or nothing at all?

Carry on comrade.
icon_salut.gif

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
I've encountered no romances; but I;m a dwarf so I don;'t any of the females would be inetrested anyways.

You should have spared us details of your personal life, Vol.

Just kidding :P

Can't say I'm anticipating NWN2. All signs point to a sequel that improves and fixes most of what was wrong with the former, and while that's just fine especially since it's likely much better than what Bioware did with the prequel, it doesn't interest me much at this point.

Iasi, Romania?... Postcount: bigger then yours
I never thought I'd see this in the malefical RPGCodex

Role-Player said:
Just kidding :P

Anyway... I'm about 8 hours into the game, I have to say though, the number of chooices both in action and dialog replies amazes me, as speacialy since this comes from a game that hardly focused on this. Too bad the freedom of chooice is restricted by the stupid aligment system

Voss

Erudite
Greatatlantic said:
As of yet, no. Nobody has seemed to notice what race I am. Not even in un-voiced over dialogue.

Then you're missing it. There are several references to your race from NPCs. I haven't seen anything thats actually changed yet, but several people react to your race.

Romanian-
Freedom of choice isn't restricted by the alignment system at all. Your choices will shift your alignment, but you aren't denied options because you are a certain alignment.

Norfleet

I can only consider it to be either a sign of the original poster's short attention span or the poor quality of the game, that it was unable to sustain his attention for longer than a measly 10 hours before he got distracted by a shiny object and came here to write about it.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Norfleet said:
I can only consider it to be either a sign of the original poster's short attention span or the poor quality of the game, that it was unable to sustain his attention for longer than a measly 10 hours before he got distracted by a shiny object and came here to write about it.

I'll have you know there is nothing wrong with my attention span, and 10 hours is more then an adequate stopping point for any game. I will debunk this little myth of yours using point by point analysis and argument.

First, there are many necessities in life, such as food and hygiene.

Second, as any quantitative mind with the least bit of inclination could tell you... oooo, a nickle. Shiny!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom