Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games back on the map with PC-exclusive Fortnite

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Looks like they're really trying to approach CGI cartoon visual quality.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Was it inspired by this?

full.jpg

The first one makes me smile and want to look closer at the details and learn more about it (even though there aren't that many details there). The lighting is pleasing, the details subtle and the sky classically appealing.
The second one makes me frown and move my head back away from the monitor. It is bright, obnoxious, unbalanced, and annoyingly hipster.

First one over the second one, no hesitation.

Rhalle

Magister
If I see any more cell-shaded shit-- a la TF2, a la WoW, a la League of Legends, a la Diablo 3, a la Ultima: Forever-- I'm going to a la vomit.

DraQ

Arcane

The first one makes me smile and want to look closer at the details and learn more about it (even though there aren't that many details there). The lighting is pleasing, the details subtle and the sky classically appealing.
The second one makes me frown and move my head back away from the monitor. It is bright, obnoxious, unbalanced, and annoyingly hipster.

First one over the second one, no hesitation.
Would brofist twice if I could.
:bro:

Jashiin

Arcane
Now I want to replay unreal. I won't even pirate this new shit.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Finally, some actual footage of the game, from PAX I guess. Can't tell if that frame rate is because of the video recording, if not they have some work to do. Game looks like it could be fun though, especially in coop, so long as there is a little more to it than just smashing other building down to make your own buildings.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I think the only reason Epic is making that game is to rake in tons of free cash from stupid kids buying microtransactions like crack. Microsoft is trying to corrupt our youth.

deuxhero

Arcane
If I see any more cell-shaded shit-- a la TF2, a la WoW, a la League of Legends, a la Diablo 3, a la Ultima: Forever-- I'm going to a la vomit.

I can't speak for LoL, D3 or UF, but this TF2 and I'm pretty WOW are not cel shaded.

Perhaps you want to learn what cel-shading actually is? Here's a hint: It's not "cartoony graphics".

The end result is generally outlines around polygonal objects (though some games, Okami is the only one I know for sure of, have a similar appearance but are not actually celshaded)

Cel-shaded

veyqsx.jpg

Not cel-shaded

2qsnosl.jpg

(yes, I know I'm a year late, but I'm tired of seeing that mistake)

Gerrard

Arcane
Haha oh wow.
Also, they’ve been rechristened Epic Games Poland, a distinctly less optimistic (yet far more factually accurate) name, if you ask me.
I feel we should totally act all butthurt and make them edit the article, just because.

Jashiin

Arcane
Haha oh wow.
Also, they’ve been rechristened Epic Games Poland, a distinctly less optimistic (yet far more factually accurate) name, if you ask me.
I feel we should totally act all butthurt and make them edit the article, just because.

Indeed. They are so fucking full of it they can't even talk without shit spraying out of their mouth.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
Originally, Bleszinski said, Fortnite followed a more traditional post-apocalyptic, The Road-inspired aesthetic, but the team found the style "depressing." Designer Pete Ellis showed the evolution of one of the game's zombie-like enemy types, The Husk, and its transition from scary, wiry undead to its current more cartoonish style. The panel also revealed the name of the previously revealed enemy, the squat, teleporting Troll, which Bleszisnki described as "a manifestation of everything on the Internet that I hate."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482242

roofles!

You know, now that I think about it, it was probably a marketing decision, rather than a moral one. Fuck them especially.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
At least game will be make without PR megalomaniac bullcrap from their old boss, that act like CliffB - I mean betraying PC, crapping on it for years and praising console (and now - mobile) gaming that are future and averyone who disagree is called moron...

Still - not even pirate it or get on -75% or whatever.

UserNamer

Cipher
game looks disgusting and it makes me feel nostalgic for the gear of wars\call of duty aesthetics already. From boring and plastic and gritty to plastic and totally retarded and nauseous. Oh but it's a pc exclusive! Thanks I guess

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The thing I don't like about these modern cartoony action games is that the visual design often has no real personality. It's bright and happy but also disgustingly generic. Team Fortress 2 did it right, but in its wake came a slew of games that were either direct ripoffs of it or just didn't have quite enough thought put into the art direction, resulting in a lot of ridiculously ugly and unlikable characters. The environments aren't that bad, but seriously, why do all the characters have sandals and pants that don't go past their knees? Why do their faces look like they've been smashed with a shovel a few times? Nothing about this game's visuals says "this is something unique or special or different." It just looks like a thousand other games that have the exact same art style that seems to be a hodgepodge of influences mixed together without any real thought applied.

It doesn't feel like a graphical problem though - just too much shit going on in the 2nd picture. Again, not really comparable - the first one is a generic 'world shot', it serves no purpose except to look good, the 2nd tries to indicate gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom