Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

John Carmack officially leaves id Software

Dexter

Arcane
Maybe you will tell me names of people who are responsible for Unreal Engine? Source? Unity? CryEngine? Oh wait you can't because they actually developed superior engines instead of pretending to be a superstar while doing nothing of value for at least 15 years.
id Tech = John Carmack
Unreal Engine = Tim Sweeney
Source = Michael Abrash
Frostbite = Johan Andersson

You should know this shit, tard. They are all legends.
´

id was responsible for the rise of the 3D FPS genre and pushing it forward throughout all of its early development with Wolfenstein 3D, Doom I-III and and Quake I-III. Unreal was behind several years throughout all of the early years.

They also licensed their engine for a shitload of games:
quakeengine55jad.jpg

quakeengineezjxp.png

Right up until they were bought out by ZeniMax/Bethesda and declined.

Fucking what? Raven Software was always a B team behind ID and remained that forever. All they did are Modern Warfare DLCs, and mediocre games. Wolverine? Singulariy? At least 2 dozen games are listed under their names, and from that, only 3-4 are good games. And those are sequels.

I disagree about RavenSoft being a "B Team", they became that when Activision didn't need them anymore and assimilated them entirely.

They were responsible for Heretic I+II, Hexen I+II, later Soldier of Fortune, Voyager: Elite Force and Jedi Knight II+III
In their time of decline they also did Soldier of Fortune II, X-Men Legends, Quake 4, Wolfenstein, Singularity

Last edited:

hiver

Oh look, the top devs are leaving Id while its being under zenimax. gee what a wonder.

Carmack’s resignation comes in the wake of the departure of id’s longtime CEO, Todd Hollenshead, earlier this year.

also:

Earlier this year, John Carmack became Chief Technology Officer at VR megalith Oculus Rift,

:martini::greatjob::takemymoney::drink:

Carmack, meanwhile, elaborated on the reasoning behind his decision via Twitter:

“I wanted to remain a technical adviser for Id, but it just didn’t work out. Probably for the best, as the divided focus was challenging.”

“If they don’t want me to talk on stage at Quakecon next year, we’ll just have to fill up the lobby like the old days. :)

:lol:

:kfc:

Last edited by a moderator:

mondblut

Arcane
quakeengine55jad.jpg

And nothing of value was gained.

But I am sure the countless fans of "Mysticman portfolio" and "BinaryEGL" would disagree. Sounds like awfully fun games.

Also, id wasn't worth shit since after Doom, and Doom was pretty much single-handedly responsible for the death of RPGs and other good genres in 1994. I wish they all would have died in a plane crash 20 years ago.

zwanzig_zwoelf

quakeengine55jad.jpg
And no LT? Well, shit.
For some reason none of these fan 'compilations' mentions that LithTech (Blood 2/Shogo/F.E.A.R/other stuff from Monolith) was based on Quake engine.

Jashiin

Arcane
Id Soft is now even more vulnerable.

If Doom flops, this shop gets shuttered for good.

It will be a console centered shooter made to be used with controllers so it will be shit. Also, no carmack no ID.

Grim Monk

Arcane
They are "classic" if you're born after 1990. For someone who knows his RPG history, they are pale shadow of what once was.

"Someone who knows his RPG history" should also know that real-time "Blobbers" were around years before even Wolf 3D...

See this thread: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/harbingers-of-decline.78650/
dungenons7.png

Twitch twitch twitch.
Your posts about "Dungeon Master" in that thread:
As if it's not obvious what mondblut thinks of a game that single-handedly ruined the classic RPG paradigm with its realtime popamole.

Well, we should be grateful DM was so "revolutionary" its gimmick was only picked up by competitors around 1991. Gave us 5 years of a handicap for proper RPGs to be made. Nonetheless, if not for DM, the plague that was Eye of Beholder, Lands of Lore etc might have never happened.

Still, all the classic series were already there in 1987. Wizardry, M&M, Bard's Tale, Ultima, even Goldbox precursors like Wizard's Crown.

But it seem that's all forgotten.
:troll:
Now its "DOOM" that ruined everything in 1994...

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
MadMaxHellfire said:
talented programmer
:lol:

Actually he's incredibly skilled programmer/SW engineer. Things he did were stuff like Carmack reverse, or fast inverse square root. Also his keynotes about HW were interesting and juicy, you could learn a lot.

Actually if he would lead the project instead of youngest chief of executive, he would finish Age of Decadence with better GFX and half year sooner, without many bugs. Of course a company can't survive only on Carmack they need also designer that can program, which Carmack isn't. He's CTO, not CEO, nor CD/P. Kinda wonder why ID didn't try foray into another games, it would help them immensely.

mondblut

Arcane
You are joking right? Look right from GoldSrc then up.

I prefer my vampire erotic melodrama without a shitty FPS attached, thanks.

And now its suddenly DOOM that ruined everything in 1994...

Dung Master introduced the decline into a specific genre. Doom swept the entire industry to the extent no games other than the FPS crap were introduced for months. It was a plague not unlike Farmville in 2009 or WoW in 2005. Overnight, everybody wanted to make their own Doom and no one wanted to make any other kind of game. I was there. I watched the flow of shitty FPSes, and I wept.

mondblut

Arcane

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doom is a better game than any RPG that has ever been made.

Tetris is a better game than Doom.

I wonder what does it have to do with an RPG forum, though.

Tetris is shit and in no way compares to Doom.

No, u.

And this isn't the RPG section.

So fucking what? I am an RPG fan on an RPG forum, and I couldn't care less what games are considered "good" in peasant genres.

But you DO care since you claimed that a game in another genre somehow magically led to a set of mediocre games in the RPG genre being converted into a different set of also mediocre games. Even if that retarded statement was true (it's not), you made a comment on the relative entertainment value of RPGs, implying that games which barely reach mediocrity in their own genre are somehow better than what is probably the best video game ever made.

Basically, you're a fag.

mondblut

Arcane
But you DO care since you claimed that a game in another genre somehow magically led to a set of mediocre games in the RPG genre being converted into a different set of also mediocre games.

That's a historical fact I witnessed in person. In mid-90s, I was writing cluebook compilations that spanned across genres, and by about 1996, every second game passing my hands was a fucking FPS, spawned by the success of guess what. Do your homework, kiddo.

you made a comment on the relative entertainment value of RPGs, implying that games which barely reach mediocrity in their own genre are somehow better than what is probably the best video game ever made.

Sure, Tetris might be the best video game ever made indeed. How would that concern me, though?

Basically, you're a fag.

Sorry, I am already taken. But you may ask Jaesun out.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But you DO care since you claimed that a game in another genre somehow magically led to a set of mediocre games in the RPG genre being converted into a different set of also mediocre games.

That's a historical fact I witnessed in person. In mid-90s, I was writing cluebook compilations that spanned across genres, and by about 1996, every second game passing my hands was a fucking FPS, spawned by the success of guess what. Do your homework, kiddo.

Except it's not. Saying FPSs sold a lot doesn't mean anything since they weren't necessarily displacing RPGs. Seems far more likely that they would displace other action games. The only way a first person shooter could ruin rpgs (and at the time, and afterwards for that matter, most of them played nothing like doom) is if all those players really just wanted a fps all along, in which case it's pointless to blame doom because the 3d revolution and the first person shooter were inevitable. How did Doom spawn baldur's gate, or Fallout (which I believe you've mentioned is decline before), neither of which play anything like doom? Actually I can't think of a single rpg from that era that plays anything like doom. RPG developers today still have difficulty producing quality combat regardless of subgenre (IE: most arpgs are shit).

Sure, Tetris might be the best video game ever made indeed. How would that concern me, though?

Because nothing of value was lost. If you seriously think pre-doom RPGs were anything special then evidently you have very poor tastes and should reconfigure them accordingly.

mondblut

Arcane
The only way a first person shooter could ruin rpgs (and at the time, and afterwards for that matter, most of them played nothing like doom) is if all those players really just wanted a fps all along, in which case it's pointless to blame doom because the 3d revolution and the first person shooter were inevitable.

You really have no clue how game development business works, don't you?

Hint: it jumps bandwagons.

How did Doom spawn baldur's gate, or Fallout (which I believe you've mentioned is decline before), neither of which play anything like doom?

Once in a while, a particularly bright mind may think for a moment that their 367th shitty wannabe-Farmville just might end up not as successful as was projected by the board of directors, and cast a contemplative gaze on forgotten, unsaturated markets. That's how plagues typically end. Too little, too late, unfortunately.

(IE: most arpgs are shit).

Sure, the "a" part guarantees that.

If you seriously think pre-doom RPGs were anything special then evidently you have very poor tastes

I am thoroughly shattered you consider my tastes poor. I think I am gonna cry.

and should reconfigure them accordingly.

Not gonna happen.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
If you seriously think pre-doom RPGs were anything special then evidently you have very poor tastes

I am thoroughly shattered you consider my tastes poor. I think I am gonna cry.

and should reconfigure them accordingly.

Not gonna happen.
If you didn't care about anybody's reaction to you then you wouldn't be making a huge bashing shit fit over your gay opinion on something inconsequential.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
"Doom was pretty much single-handedly responsible for the death of RPGs and other good genres in 1994."
:hmmm:
Yet all of the classic isometric Black Isle/Bioware RPG's where developed after 1994...

They are "classic" if you're born after 1990. For someone who knows his RPG history, they are pale shadow of what once was.

I know my RPG history and I consider the IE games superior to for example the Gold Box games.

It's correct that Doom probably marked the end (but I'm not so sure it caused the end) of CRPGs, though, since 1993 was the last good CRPG year of the DOS era, and Doom was released late that year. But the Gold Box games had run their course by that time, although we got FRUA which still has a community. Dark Sun was a good game, and in some ways a proto Baldur's Gate, but the decline was already there with an inferior combat engine and uninspired encounter design.
If you look at the classic CRPGs released in 1993 many of them were sequels anyway, like Ultima Underworld 2, Ultima VII and Might and Magic: Darkside of Xeen.
Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos was yet another real time blobber, although one of the better ones IMO
Only The Legacy: Realm of Terror and especially Betrayal at Krondor brought something new that was also an incline.

So traditional CRPGs had pretty much run their course by 1993. But I'm not so sure Doom was all to blame, what with the multimedia craze of 1994-1995 ("we can fit 250 MBs of vidoes on a CD!") and the increased popularity of Adventure games.
But in 1994-1995 we also saw new, innovative tactical games like Jagged Alliance and X-Com, and fantasy strategy games like Master of Magic and Heroes of Might and Magic, and the first (?) 4X SF game Master of Orion.
So while pure CRPGs were in decline, we still got a much wider genre of games from which to chose good games.
In hindsight, playing games chronologically (I'm almost done with 1995) things were not so bad as I myself used to think back then.

The real death of CRPGs and decline of PC games in general came in 2002 with the X-Box.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I thought you are old enough to know what they did with the fps style games back when Wolfenstein and Doom came out.
What exactly did they do with FPS?
Released games that were Call of Duty of their era? Sure.
Are you high? Go back to your fucking ArmA if you dismiss any other FPS games in the genre.

Please name those devs who made fast paced FPS games on that ages's hardware.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom