Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed MISSING - Let's play this obscure adventure game.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Next page please.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
missing.png

I'm hearing and seeing things that can't be happening. The basement is locked anyway, no need to be down there. Yeah, I need to get away. I need some air.

IV : A Visitor.

I'm back in the main hall and everything seems normal here. I can finally relax a bit.

missing1462.jpg

Ok, I must gather my thoughts... did I find anything of importance back there ?

Chapter 3 said:

Right ! That cryptic message... Now that I think of it, I did see tree stump outside in the outskirts of the forest, didn't I ?

missing1474.jpg

Dark clouds are filling the sky and the wind is howling strong. I press onto my coat tightly and shiver as I walk towards the tree-line...

missing1483.jpg

I spot a patch of fresh dirt in front of the hollow stump. This must be the place ! I take out the small spade and start digging.

missing1486.jpg

Nothing... But perhaps it's more of a relief... I was expecting a body or two. I was prepared for the worst.

Melvin.png
Wait a minute ? What's this ?!

missing1503.jpg

Annette Robinson ? Isn't that Elle's friend ?

Melvin.png
Has something happened to her ? Maybe that's why she wasn't answering the phone...

All I have now is more questions. It's pretty dark now and the air feels heavy, a storm is soon to come.

missing1511.jpg

The Inn looks grim and uninviting, but I better get a roof over my head.

missing1515.jpg

missing1517.jpg

I need a drink.

missing1530.jpg

She's lazily arranging the wine rack. She looks annoyed, probably regretting coming here for nothing. I decide to break the silence.

missing1536.jpg

gloria.png
Oh, hey there. How's it going ?

Melvin.png
Well, the investigation hasn't been fruitful, but otherwise okay. You ?

gloria.png
Well, fine, except for the fact that I'm probably staying for the night. The rain is pretty heavy and it's a long walk back to town.

Melvin.png
Yeah, It's pouring out there.

gloria.png
Oh yeah, which reminds me... I got a call from Gregory.

Melvin.png
Really ? What did your boss say ?

gloria.png
He said he and Clive will be staying in town with a friend. At least until the storm passes.

Oooh, that's very convenient...

missing1552.jpg

gloria.png
Did I notice you smirking ?

Melvin.png
Did I ? Anyway, how about a cup of coffee for your customer ?

gloria.png
Coffee ? How about some alcohol ? You look like you could use a drink.

Melvin.png
No thanks, I quit drinking a long time ago.

gloria.png
The drinks are on the house for now. What do you say ?

She winks playfully.

Melvin.png
Well, I suppose a session of bourbon anonymous wouldn't hurt. Sure.

gloria.png
That's the spirit !

missing1563.jpg

I suddenly remember why I quit drinking, Well, why I tried to quit to be more precise.

missing1565.jpg

I think it was on my third glass when I started treating Gloria as if she were my therapist.

missing1567.jpg

That's when I realize that I've had enough of this team sympathy.

missing1569.jpg

gloria.png
Yep, you've had enough for the night.

Melvin.png
Uhh, thanks for the free drinks, and uh... thanks for listening ?

gloria.png
Hey, no problem, you are a hilarious guy !

Melvin.png
Umm... those stories weren't supposed to be funny, but okay. I'll see you later.

gloria.png
Good night.

Aww, geez, no. I've embarrassed myself enough for tonight. But I make one last effort to search the place. I find myself back to the attic.

missing1592.jpg

missing1595.jpg

missing1596.jpg

I briefly consider breaking the damn door down, but I decide against it. I feel a bit tipsy. I might as well go to bed, I've had a bit too much to drink after all.

missing1618.jpg

I close my eyes and welcome sleep...

missing1619.jpg

Oh god, not again ! A loud knocking sound awakens me.

missing1621.jpg

*KNOCK* *KNOCK* *KNOCK*

I stagger out of the bed and rub my eyes lazily. Not a dream... Is that a good or a bad thing ?

*KNOCK* *KNOCK* *KNOCK*

A voice in my head tells me to run, but I have nowhere to run to. In spite of my better judgment, I open the door:

missing1625.jpg

Melvin.png
Is... someone there...?

missing1626.jpg

WHAT THE...!

missing1632.jpg

The air is suddenly very cold. I stumble back terrified.

missing1636.jpg

This can't be happening, it must be a dream ! Yes, a dream, that's it ! All I need to do is look away...

missing1638.jpg

Hiding beneath the blankets like a child, I wait for the nightmare to end.

missing1641.jpg

I am unable to move an inch. I stand there helpless.

missing1644.jpg

I keep my eyes shut, desperately trying to keep the evil away.

missing1646.jpg

I'm hoping that if I can't see it, it can't harm me, but deep down I know that's a foolish notion.

missing1651.jpg

missing1661.jpg

missing1659.jpg

missing1666.jpg

missing1673.jpg

missing1680.jpg

missing1683.jpg

missing1690.jpg

:what:

Is this the end of dear old Melvin ?
Is this the key to understanding why Menckenstein was banned ?
Is this a French kiss from beyond the veils of death ?
Is rape imminent ?

We'll find out in the next update.

Last edited:

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
The key for the basement, if this is actually happening. If not, this is probably some sort of metaphor for something that will happen in the coming updates. Actually, I'm guessing that our protagonist passed out at the bar.

That face reminds me of that shitty movie, the grudge.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane

The plot thickens! Although that ghost-thins is more funny than scary.

Modron

Arcane
I think years of SJW propaganda restrained him at the last second and he only swiped her hair (that or was checking if she was a ghost) before he realized the error of his ways and kicked her to the ground.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Ah, didn't catch the kick. Still, kind of a dickish thing to do to anyone just for playing a joke. Was this from a tv show or something?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
missing.png

missing1706-7.gif

I fell asleep... I finally did. I don't remember when...

missing1709.jpg

It was the most horrible face I've ever seen...

missing1712.jpg

I thought about sleeping the rest of the day off... but I remember I still have things to do. I reluctantly climb out off the bed.

missing1718.jpg

Though it feels more like it's night because of the weather.

missing1723.jpg

Unfortunately, no new keys have appeared in my inventory. Oh well, on the other hand, it seems I was spared from any ghostly surprise buttseks, so all and all I can't complain.

The weather seems to be in a furious mood outside.

missing1727.jpg

My mood isn't much better.

missing1729.jpg

What the hell happened last night ? I want to say it's just a nightmare but it felt real. Too real.

missing1733.jpg

After a hot shower I feel almost human.

missing1748.jpg

In any case, it probably wouldn't hurt to do another search. I probably missed a small critical clue somewhere...

missing1753.jpg

V : The Eye.

The hallways are even more dark than usual.

missing1756-7.gif

I decide to have another look in Elle's old room...

missing1771.jpg

Is there something under the bed ?

missing1777.jpg

Melvin.png
I can't believe I missed that before !

I never liked the idea of giving David dolls. I mean, he should be playing with action figures instead. But she insisted... and I can bever say no to her. She said David needs a friend.

missing1782.jpg

This reminds me of that old movie where the evil doll suddenly came to life...

chucky said:
Thankfully this one doesn't seem prone to such-

missing1785.jpg

WHAT THE...!!!

missing1790.jpg

Nothing to worry about, apparently touching the body activates the doll.

missing1799.jpg

Then I notice that the doll's holding a crumpled paper.

Melvin.png
Hmmm? What's this ? This looks like... Elle's writing. I think this is from Elle's journal.

missing1804.jpg

I only notice people coming in, not going out. Gregory, his son, and another man I believe is Gregory's acquaintance. From what I've seen, Gregory seems to be a polite man and very well spoken, but I can't shake the feeling that there's something wrong with him.
missing1809.jpg

As for Gregory's friend... he's not a nice person, and spends no time trying to hide that fact. He's a rude man who seems to enjoy bothering the other guests. I've also heard from Gloria that he often picks fights with the other patrons at the bar.
missing1815.jpg

Note to myself:
Don't forget to check the study. I saw a glimpse of Gregory hiding something behind one of the painting in the study. He didn't notice that I saw him there from the lounge though.
Hmmm, everything seems to be revolving around Gregory. His father and friend, how do they fit in ? I'll definitely have to check out that study. As I get back out in the hallway I notice something peculiar:

missing1829.jpg

The door appears simply unlocked. There are no signs of forced entry. I decide to check it out...

missing1844-5.gif

Melvin.png
Is... is that what I think it is ? This smells like foul play...

The stain seems fresh. I check the drawers:

missing1853.jpg

It's choke-full with money. Aside from a couple of pounds sterling, it's filled with 100-dollar bills. I search for an I.D.

missing1859.jpg

I know the man in the photo. It's the guest who had a fight with Gregory last night. Is this the "friend" Elle was talking about ?

missing1862.jpg

Strangely enough, they're all business cards from travel agencies.

Melvin.png
There's a business card that belongs to Larson. The owner of the wallet. Hmm...

What's the deal with this man ? I begin to search the other drawer.

missing1869.jpg

missing1878.jpg

Another strange riddle. But at least we're getting somewhere. I go down to the lobby:

missing1910.jpg

AHHH !!!

That was a woman's scream !

missing1914.jpg

I run to the bar, but it's deserted...

missing1938.jpg

*BANG* *BANG* *BANG*
I move to the back of the inn, in search of her.

missing1944.jpg

*BANG* *BANG* *BANG*
I think I hear some noise in the distance...

missing1965.jpg

*BANG* *BANG* *BANG*
I take the staircase to the basement. The pounding gradually gets much louder.

missing1966.jpg

*BANG* *BANG* *BANG*

missing1968.jpg

*BANG* *BANG* *BANG*

The door shakes and trembles as the pounding continues...

missing1972.jpg

Melvin.png
Hello ?

*BANG* *BANG* *BANG*

No answer. I decide to have a look in the keyhole...

missing1975.jpg

All I can pick up is a foul smell... I guess I sh-

missing1980.jpg

:what:

missing1982.jpg

Someone is inside ! Locked !

Melvin.png
Who are you ? Can you hear me ?!

*BANG* *BANG* *BANG*

missing1986.jpg

This is worrisome... the pounding only gets louder every time I try to talk to the person inside.

missing1989.jpg

I need to find a way to open that door as soon as possible. I take some steps behind and smash on the door with all my weight...

Melvin.png
Umphhh...!

All I manage to accomplish, is to bruise my elbow.

missing1973.jpg

I take another peek though the keyhole.

missing1994.jpg

Or maybe it's just my own fear that's starting to creep up on me, as I understand that something is horribly wrong here...

Last edited:

Crane

Arcane
Patron

Right eye
Gold Ring
Locked Lips

... Yeah. Something about a princess showing the way in. I don't know what this all means, yet.

E: I should say that I have a hunch that this relates to the person locked in the basement. We could be seeing their right eye through the keyhole... they can't speak, so they have "locked lips". Not sure what gold ring refers to yet. I don't know, I could just be grasping at straws.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
missing.png

Some very sinister things are taking place in this goddamned inn. Someone is in the basement, trapped, and I must find a way to open the door.

VI : Body Bag

I think it's time I gave another call to my buddy Steve.

missing2002.jpg

missing2014.jpg

Melvin.png
Hey Steve. It's me.

phone.png
Hey Melvin. What's that noise ? Its sounds like there's a big storm there.

Melvin.png
Yeah, you got it. A BIG one. It looks like it will last for a while. Anyway, did you get the chance to check about Greenview Inn ?

phone.png
Oh yeah, I did. Didn't get much out of it though.

Melvin.png
It's still better than nothing. Fire away.

phone.png
Like you said, people have a habit of going missing around that part of the world.

missing2025.jpg

Melvin.png
Was it about the disappearance of a well-known Canadian actress ?

phone.png
Huh ? Yeah, that one. You've been doing your homework, eh ? I guess you also know that the case eventually went cold ?

Melvin.png
Yeah, I heard about it.

phone.png
Okay, that believed that the actress went missing while hiking around the area. That's what the area is being advertised for... great locale for hiking fanatics.

Melvin.png
I knew there was something here beyond gloomy woods and creepy Inns.

phone.png
They claim that there are wild dogs within the vicinity. They only appear rarely... but they do exist. They think these animals might've been the culprit behind her disappearance.

Melvin.png
Wild dogs ?!

phone.png
That's the press statement that Scotland Yard handed out. My friend disagreed.

missing2034.jpg

phone.png
There's also a witness who claimed that he saw her in the lounge during the exact time of her supposed disappearance. And here's the weird part... he recanted all of his statements days later... after finding out that much of his property had been vandalized. No surprise there.

Melvin.png
Vandalized by whom ?

phone.png
Who knows. Anyway, from the way it looks, my friend was sure that her disappearance was linked to the inn somehow. He wanted to investigate further, but the owner of the inn is a powerful man. Powerful enough to pressure Scotland Yard.

Melvin.png
So I've heard.

phone.png
My friend wasn't too pleased with Scotland Yard's decision to simply fold the case like that. So he's been working independently on it. Last year, he found out a rather disturbing detail about the inn...

Melvin.png
What is it ?

phone.png
There are quite a number of people who have been missing around that area. They've been completely unnoticed since nobody bothered to file the reports. Can you guess why ?

Melvin.png
Well, I don't know. Why ?

missing2054.jpg

phone.png
My friend presented his case to his boos as evidence against the owner of the inn. That little stunt almost got him fired. Anyway, that's about all that I can gather for now.

Melvin.png
Hmmm, thanks. Somehow I think I've just gotten myself into a rather dangerous position. I need to be more careful.

phone.png
Melvin, I know you wouldn't listen to me, but I think you stop. You're on your own there, you know that, don't you ? The local police won't help you.

Melvin.png
All the reason why I have to keep going. It's the only way I can find Elle and David.

phone.png
*sigh* Fine. I can see that I can't persuade you no matter what... just be careful okay ?

Melvin.png
I'll be okay Steve. Oh by he way, can you dig up any information you can on a fellow named Bryce Milligan ?

phone.png
Alright, I'll look it up.

Melvin.png
Great, thanks for the info. Later Steve.

I get an urge to call the Oracle. That guy maybe a clown but he actually gave some sound advice in the past. No harm giving it a try again.

missing2078.jpg

Melvin.png
Ummm, hello ?

phone.png
Oh, baby, you sound so sexy...

Melvin.png
I'm sorry, but where's Raja ?

phone.png
You mean that fortuneteller guy ?

Melvin.png
Uh, yeah.

missing2086.jpg

Melvin.png
Umm... fraudulent ? Err... yeah, must be pretty stupid.

phone.png
So I took his place, but not as a fortuneteller. It's something else. Something completely different and more... fun.

Melvin.png
R-really ?

phone.png
Oh baby, you know it. First ten minutes are free. Wouldn't you want to know what I look like ?

Melvin.png
Ummm, sure.

I hear moaning sound on the phone.

missing2096.jpg

Melvin.png
ZA ZING...!

phone.png
And only a red bikini to cover my nether region... the sacred hot dog...

Melvin.png
Huh ? I'm sorry ? Hotdog ?

missing2104.jpg

:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

I close the phone shocked. What has the world come to ? :humanityhasrisen:

missing2106.jpg

Enough with the comic codex relief. Elle mentioned something odd about the study in her journal, I better go back there and search it again.

missing2004.jpg

Indeed. There's a small indentation on the wall. There's a key stores inside, which I take. I have a closer look at it.

missing2008.jpg

Third floor huh ? There's a room right next to the stairs...

missing2118.jpg

Alright ! The key fits.

missing2124.jpg

Various boxes are scattered on the floor. It looks like this room was once a storage room...

missing2128.jpg

The smell of chemical permeates the room. It's probably a chemical mixture to develop photos.

missing2130.jpg

I take a closer look to the photos lying around...

missing2131.jpg

But aside from that, I can't make anything more out of them. My gaze falls on a painting adorning the wall in the far side of the room :

missing2141.jpg

It reminds me of a painting from an old Hitchcock movie I once saw. I have a closer look and I realize that some parts of the painting are off somehow. When I tough them they make a clicking sound. Then I recall that note I found :

missing1869.jpg

Right Eye
Gold Ring
Locket
Lips

I press the parts in that exact sequence...

missing2147.jpg

Maybe one of the other doors on the floor was unlocked ! I go back to the corridor.

missing1903.jpg

And guess what, it's unlocked ! That's one crazy way to open your bedroom door.

missing2159.jpg

missing2160-1.gif
GIF

It looks like the master bedroom. Possibly Gregory's room. I start my search.

missing2167.jpg

I took care of your father as you asked.
He was in the attic cleaning when I did it.
It was a clean hit.

Boss, I hid her in my room.
A step from the cabinet.
Don't worry, it's well hidden.

Boss, I haven't been able to move her down to the basement.
New girl's wandering around.
No matter, I like her where she is, close to me.

I took care of your father as you asked.
He was in the attic cleaning when I did it.
It was a clean hit.

I bought the safe as you asked.
You probably know the combination already,
if you know me well.

The messages seem very straight forward. Hmmm...

missing2180.jpg

Melvin.png
"I hid her in my room" ? These guys are definitely up to no good.

I look around a bit more. There was a mention about a safe...

missing2185.jpg

A-HA !

missing2186.jpg

Unfortunately I don't know the code, so I let it be. Something tells me that Clive was the one who wrote all these notes. Let's see if we can find anything more hidden in his room...

missing2355.jpg

I search for sometime but I can't find anything. I try the floor boards but they seem sturdy. Clive is one slippery bastard... Or should I say "Bryce Milligan" ? Hmmm, maybe Steve has sound some info on him...

missing2223.jpg

missing2226.jpg

Melvin.png
Hey, It's Melvin. Did you find anything new ?

phone.png
Yeah, I finally got around to check out this Bryce Milligan guy. Let's see... Bryce Milligan, born on December 8th of 1935. This guy's got quite a colorful track record.

Melvin.png
Huh, you don't say.

phone.png
He's been in and out of jail on a frequent basis for petty charges during his teens.

missing2234.jpg

phone.png
He was locked up in Sing Sing for twenty years before they finally let him out on parole. He disappeared two years later.

Melvin.png
He disappeared ? That's it ?

phone.png
That's it. That's all I got. Don't tell me he's there though, if he is, you had best notify the authorities. This guy is dangerous.

Melvin.png
Well... I don't know for sure yet if it's the same person... but I'll be careful.

phone.png
Okay, I hope you know what you're doing.

Melvin.png
Thanks for the info, Steve I have to go.

phone.png
Alright, I'll talk to you later. And remember, don't be coming back in a body bag, you hear ?

Melvin.png
Don't worry, I'll be fine.

So, Milligan's birthday is December 8th 1935. I have an idea. I head back up to the safe...

missing2255.jpg

...and enter 12-08-35

missing2281.jpg

It opened !

missing2282.jpg

Aside from the key, the safe is loaded with US dollar bills, all hundred dollar notes.

missing2285.jpg

There's a tag on the key that says "Attic." I certainly know where that is...

missing2293-4.gif

I shudder as I remember the unsettling scene from the nightmare, but I grunt my teeth and enter.

missing2299.jpg

missing2306.jpg

There are many boxes scattered around.

missing2308.jpg

The substance had dried a long time ago, but I can easily speculate what it is. I decide to keep it, I might need it. As I scan sound the room I spot a newspaper on the floor...

missing2315.jpg

Part of it is covered with some kind of black stain. I guess somebody used the paper to clean up.

Melvin.png
Hmmm ? What's this ?

missing2320.jpg

:lol:

Anyway, there's another article that caught my eye, though only the title text is legible:

missing2325.jpg

The rest of the article has been torn away, but I'm beginning to see the full picture of this mystery...

But what now ? Hmmm, maybe now that I have a hammer in my possession I could conduct a much more thorough search in Clive's room.

missing2351.jpg

missing2355.jpg

Start pulling out the boards in front of the cabinet with the hammer :

missing2357.jpg

But after fiddling for a while, I was able to remove some of the boards.

missing2359.jpg

I open the plastic bag and I am greeted with a sickening, foul odor.

missing2363.jpg

I take a look inside...

missing2367.jpg

missing2369.jpg

missing2372.jpg

Now I know why Annette hasn't been answering my calls.

missing2378.jpg

I should probably notify the authorities now. Trying not to breath through my nose, I take a closer look at her.

missing2384.jpg

She certainly looks like that thing in the nightmare. Upon closer inspection, I see something shining inside her mouth.

missing2393.jpg

Like I suspected, the object is a key.

missing2399.jpg

Yeah, only one locked door left. The door to the basement...

Crane

Arcane
Patron
I thought it was symbolism, not literally a scene telling you to take a key out of a dead person's mouth. :decline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom