Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dark Eye Blackguards - turn-based tactical RPG set in The Dark Eye world

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I found the second chapter rather disappointing. All of the encounters were easier and felt less thought out, no side quests and practically no meaningful story - and I wager that the story it did have will be unimportant overall.
Well well, looks like the truth might be trickling out.

Io-Daedalic

Educated
Hi Codexers,

like I did in the other topic I'd like to ask around if you have any feedback towards Blackguards and in particular regarding chapter two? And if you didn't get Blackguard's Early Access yet, what keeps you from doing so? What would we have to improve to convince you? What do you miss?

Cheers,
Io

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
And if you didn't get Blackguard's Early Access yet, what keeps you from doing so?
The fact that it might come up on a steam sale for additional discount during christmas :M

I don't really feel like playing the early access because from what I hear the game is good enough that it's better not to 'spoil' it by playing an unfinished version, so buying it would only be to support Daedalic in making the final version better and to get it cheaper than release price.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I don't mind playing the game bit by bit on Early Access, but I want a hard, hard, hard experience. Previews indicate that the game is too easy now.

skyst

Augur
Really? The Takate, Crocodiles and Final fights were very hard during the closed beta, with people complaining they were impossible and all that... Darth Roxor, did you tried it again? Do you think they nerfed it?

I didn't have trouble with any of the encounters in EA chapter 2. Nothing in chapter 1 was rage inducing, but I did find many of them challenging and often felt outmatched (which was good!) I honestly don't think I ever had to restart a fight in chapter 2, either. I have only played on the hardest difficulty, if there is even a difference - I recall some dispute about this on an earlier post. I don't claim to be amazing at the game or anything, it just seems to have been toned down too much as my characters were simply overpowering every opponent. Details below, if they are of any help to Io.

My main character was a 2h sword user with heavy armor, Naurim 1h axe/shield and heavy armor, Mage was focused on Healing Balm, fire bolt and charisma/astral regen w/staff, Elf was exclusively bow archery (didn't touch her magic) and Takate kind of stayed as is and used a spear... the dual wielding axes didn't seem worthwhile at all in comparison.

Of the 3 encounters mentioned by Felipepepe, Takate's was certainly the least memorable. He whiffed on a couple thrown weapons while his entourage wandered over piecemeal and just got singled down as they arrived. Their Mage just sat on their side, content to die to my archer in 3 or 4 rounds without really contributing. Takate went down like a sack of shit when he finally arrived towards the end.

The crocodiles could have been interesting but their AI was pretty abusable and their large size made it simple to block them from the food plates. I assume I would have lost had all of the food been eaten? They seemed to be coded to retreat into the water around 1/3-1/4 HP, so it was a simple process of whittling them down partially with a few hits and then move on. It would have been interesting if they were able to chomp on the Witch as well as the food and party members.

The encounter with the bug queen and her exploding minions was the most challenging, yet the most telling that the difficulty is too low. I set up around the Witch and killed 3 or 4 minions before the queen engaged, then focused all on her. I was unable to locate the device to close the bug holes when I moused around the map originally, so I assumed that the encounter would wind down after killing the queen. I probably chewed through 10 or more minions before sending the closest character out to investigate a hole and attempt to close it; this also happened to be my PC and heaviest hitter. Once adjacent to a bug hole, I saw that he was able to close it now - PC made his way around the room kiting some bugs and closing holes while the other 3 protected the witch. I burned through an astral potion and 5 or 6 healing potions, but even with such a grievous mistake early on, the mission was a success on the first try with no casualties (not that they really matter).

For the record, I really want to like this game and act 1 was a good time, but act 2 just really feels tacked on. I know it's way too late in development to do much about it, but I found it jarring to be yanked from the story and put into a series of gladiatorial fights for no real reason.

For those reading spoilers without having played the chapter, a random townswomen's child is missing and she asks you to check out some suspected slavers despite your characters currently having an unrelated agenda and are on the run. Your only option from this point is to deviate from your task and pick up what is essentially a forced side quest. You fight some slavers and then a dozen or so more come and capture you. One of your teammates mentions that you are hopelessly outnumbered and you must forfeit, despite slaying at least 10 enemies with 4 characters in the previous map... the handful of slavers would have likely been manageable. For the entire rest of the chapter, you are thrust into map after map of gladiatorial fights. There are probably 12-15 in rapid succession with little story and the same stale vendor in between. You appear to encounter a woman from your PC's past while there, but the entire arena scenario feels like a giant time sink outside of the game's narrative. Hoping chapter 3 can deliver.

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Hi Codexers,

like I did in the other topic I'd like to ask around if you have any feedback towards Blackguards and in particular regarding chapter two? And if you didn't get Blackguard's Early Access yet, what keeps you from doing so? What would we have to improve to convince you? What do you miss?

Cheers,
Io

I was interested when I read the Codex preview, but after hearing how you guys have severely toned down the difficulty level this game no longer holds any appeal.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yeah, pretty much this. The main appeal for me in this game was the challenging tactical combat and the implied darker-toned story.

Unfortunately neither of the two descriptions seem to really fit upcoming game anymore

Tigranes

Arcane
Yep, I've been increasingly hyped about the game, but now hearing reports of difficulty changes, I'll wait and see. I don't want to play a tactical combat RPG where I never die.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
17121.jpg

V_K

Arcane
Hmmm, there's an interesting dichotomy here: hard (=hard to win) vs unforgiving (=easy to loose/die). I wonder if it's possible to design RPG combat the way, that it would be the former but not the latter (and not mindnumbingly boring at the same time). At least for Adventure games puzzles it's obviously possible.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You would have to resort to huge pools of HP, on both PC and Enemies, and probably time limits or such. Not a good idea, IMHO.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmmm, there's an interesting dichotomy here: hard (=hard to win) vs unforgiving (=easy to loose/die). I wonder if it's possible to design RPG combat the way, that it would be the former but not the latter (and not mindnumbingly boring at the same time). At least for Adventure games puzzles it's obviously possible.

Sure it's possible. Encourage retreat as a viable tactic, make enemies individually weak but numerous and unrelenting.

That approach doesn't fit very well for a tactical combat game based on set piece encounters, however. It's the same problem Age of Decadence has.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You could do what adventure games do. There is a singular path you have to follow, and essentially the game won't let you do otherwise. Think the chess puzzles people play. You're told there is checkmate in 4 turns, and it's up to you to find it. Some of them will tell you after each turn if you've made the right move or not.

This would require a completely deterministic combat system, and a very niche audience and specific design.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Varying objectives could keep things challenging. You'd have to approach with a mindset different from KILLBURNPURGE.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You could also do what jRPGs tend to do. Bosses often have a very specific and deadly weakness. Combat is about staying alive long to find the weakness (or grind it down the hard way).

You could also do what jRPGs tend to do. Bosses often have a very specific and deadly weakness. Combat is about staying alive long to find the weakness (or grind it down the hard way).

No

From what i gather, fights are easier in Early Access due to developers nerfing talent/spell use by enemy ai to reduce challenge level (wounding strike etc.).... restore them. I can use my whole fucking arsenal...let the AI use it too.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hi Codexers,

Cheers,
Io

I was interested when I read the Codex preview, but after hearing how you guys have severely toned down the difficulty level this game no longer holds any appeal.

The concept of the game, its overall execution, the engine and character advancement are still pretty good, imo. Challenge can still be fixed during this beta stage. I hope it will, because chapter one was damn fun and refreshing to play.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I might still eventually fish it out of a bargain bin or get it in a bundle, but I'm not interested in getting it at release unless some difficulty is brought back to the combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom