Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I have a sneaking suspicion...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
That the peeps at Obsidian are big Suikoden fans.

suibhne

Erudite
The tactics or RPG side of things? :wink:

In all seriousness, I still want to try Suikoden III, but goddamn if it ain't still $35 used.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I gotta go to work now, but I'll type this up real quick:

1. A search for magical shards.

2. Build your own base.

3. Hireing people for your base.

4. General JRPG elements that have been present in previous games they've worked on, like in PS:T and KOTOR 2.

5. JRPG-ish rail-roading and OMG ANIME character development.

Of course, none of this is bad for me. I like it. Now, since I'm barely midway through Chapter 1, hopefully it'll be revealed that each of your companions is magically linked to you through their destinies.

Inziladun

Magister
Well I can say that only ONE of your companions will ever be linked to you in any shape or form. And it's not really 'destinies' kind of linking and no it's not a female either and you don't make hawt love sex in the bahammas because of said linking.

But yeah, I got a bit of a blast from the past with the Fort building, but it's hardly as fleshed out or as big a part in the game as the Suikoden Series.

Oh and Neeskha is very 'anime-ish'

KreideBein

Scholar
Sylvanus said:
aweigh said:
General JRPG elements that have been present in previous games they've worked on, like in PS:T and KOTOR 2.

I thought Black Isle did PS:T. At least that's what it says on my box.

Obsidian has a lot of BI refugees.

Edit: Too bad for you, sucka!

Thrawn05

Scholar
Inziladun said:
Well I can say that only ONE of your companions will ever be linked to you in any shape or form. And it's not really 'destinies' kind of linking and no it's not a female either and you don't make hawt love sex in the bahammas because of said linking.

And here I had the impression that the plot will fall apart into my Aasimar Paladin Stud making forbidden hawt love sex with a Tiefling Rouge Tween.

:lol:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
......lol.
They seem to be lacking in the looks department though. Plain looks coupled with annoying personality, I get annoyed easily. I mean comparing the females vs the males why the heck are all of them so bitchy compared to the guys?

That's just obsidian male dominated side prevailing i guess.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Obsidian has a lot of BI refugees."

About 13. Obsidian has over 100 employees. Define 'a lot', please.

KreideBein

Scholar
Volourn said:
"Obsidian has a lot of BI refugees."

About 13. Obsidian has over 100 employees. Define 'a lot', please.

I used a relative term there since I didn't know the exact amount. With this newfound knowledge, however, I officially rephrase my comment to "some".

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Just to clarify, I didn't pick that number out of thin air. That's the number (or around there) that Mr. Sawyer said there was. The num,be rof Obsidiane mploytees cna be foiund basically by reading the NWN2 manual.

It should be pointed out, however, to fix the balance somehwta, that a number of those ex BISers also have rather high ranking jobs within Obsdiian (CEO, Lead Designers, Writers, etc.) so they do obviously hold some sway. heh.

sabishii

Arbiter
Woetohice said:
Well Black Isle did thank Final Fantasy VIII in the Planescape:Torment credits (the back of the manual where game devs give shoutouts to 420, Bruce Lee, etc.).

If memory serves that is...I don't have my PS:T manual on hand ATM.

Think I read in an interview somewhere that the cutscenes in JRPGs influenced the cinematics in PS:T.
PS:T does share that thing with the later (3D) FFs in that your character is somehow special, and you don't know why and you spend the whole game figuring it out. However, it's not as pretentious as the FF series in that your "specialness" doesn't affect the whole setting.

Now that I think about it, NWN2 is kinda the opposite. While you are "special" while the shard is stuck within you, once you get the sword out anyone can use it, and you're nobody special anymore.

Volourn said:
Just to clarify, I didn't pick that number out of thin air. That's the number (or around there) that Mr. Sawyer said there was. The num,be rof Obsidiane mploytees cna be foiund basically by reading the NWN2 manual.

It should be pointed out, however, to fix the balance somehwta, that a number of those ex BISers also have rather high ranking jobs within Obsdiian (CEO, Lead Designers, Writers, etc.) so they do obviously hold some sway. heh.

You're being reasonable. Stop it. It's scaring me.

Inziladun

Magister
sabishii said:
Now that I think about it, NWN2 is kinda the opposite. While you are "special" while the shard is stuck within you, once you get the sword out anyone can use it, and you're nobody special anymore.

Well you're still special because you have done part of the special ritual to kill the immortal ancient evil. Why does that phrase sound so familiar.

Thrawn05

Scholar
Inziladun said:
Well you're still special because you have done part of the special ritual to kill the immortal ancient evil. Why does that phrase sound so familiar.

Wait wait wait...

KILL the IMMORTAL ancient evil?

I know english isn't my strongpoint, but isn't that a contradiction in terms? Please tell me that was just sarcasm and not a phrase from the game.

sabishii

Arbiter
Inziladun said:
sabishii said:

But anyone can do the ritual. Although it's true the game doesn't let you choose not to do it.

Kinda funny: I don't remember about the ritual abilities, but I remember reading on the Bio boards that someone bypassed using the Gith sword in the final battle by doing so much damage to the King of Shadows that he outdamaged the portal's regeneration.

Norfleet

Thrawn05 said:
Wait wait wait...

KILL the IMMORTAL ancient evil?

I know english isn't my strongpoint, but isn't that a contradiction in terms? Please tell me that was just sarcasm and not a phrase from the game.
Well, immortal has several definitions, several of which do not exclude being killed:

dictionary.com said:
im‧mor‧tal  /ɪˈmɔrtl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[i-mawr-tl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. not mortal; not liable or subject to death; undying: our immortal souls.
2. remembered or celebrated through all time: the immortal words of Lincoln.
3. not liable to perish or decay; imperishable; everlasting.
4. perpetual; lasting; constant: an immortal enemy.
5. of or pertaining to immortal beings or immortality.
6. (of a laboratory-cultured cell line) capable of dividing indefinitely.
–noun
7. an immortal being.
8. a person of enduring fame: Bach, Milton, El Greco, and other immortals.
9. the Immortals, the 40 members of the French Academy.
10. (often initial capital letter) any of the gods of classical mythology.

The case that applies in most cases, #3, does not necessarily exclude deliberate destruction, merely that you can't simply wait for it to drop dead. This is generally as distinguished from "invincible", being something that can't be killed (although it might eventually go away on its own). Most beings proclaiming themselves invincible tend to be in error, as their nearly inevitable subsequent destruction demonstrates.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
Exactly. TNO is supposed to be immortal as well, but there were certain circumstances that would allow an exception to his invicibility. The highlander series had the idea of immortals with a weakness (cut off the head). Even the ancient Achilles was believed to be invincible (maybe immortal but he never lived long enough) but his weakness (his ankle) was exploited and he was killed. Even most of the Gods in the Lost Realms are suppose to be immortal...yet they can be killed (Time of Trials). Heck we've got so called immortal cells that will keep dividing and dividing...but they can be killed.

This whole mortal/immortal thing has always been fuzzy because of so many stories of so called immortals being killed (why would the Greek Gods be afraid of Titans? What about many religions "false gods" replaced by others) or removed from existance.

Personally, I don't think anyone really knows what an immortal would be, simply from the fact that the idea of forever is simply something we don't understand (Infinite line of time, or an infinite loop, or it actually has an end at eternity?). Furthermore, what may seem like a immortality for us may simply be an extremely long life or immunity to things which would kill most others.

Therefore, I would promote the notion of immortal until proven otherwise.

Balor

Arcane
I wonder why nobody come up with Lovecraft quote yet...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom