Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

St. Toxic

Arcane
That's phase-based though.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
tb can be both, see robo rally and the likes. rtwp where pause happens in preset intervals and you have no influence on combat outside of said intervals is synchronous and tb (and also rtwp).
I've heard this called pause with real time.

You've reduced things too much in my opinion. There are also systems where turns are divided into phases. Like movement phase followed by combat phase. Which can break up the synchronicity (you could have one phase by synchronous and another asynchronous).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hmm, this reminds me. Temaperacl, if/when they declare turn-based combat, will you increase your pledge? If so, you should consider adding it to the Codex's. :cool:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
RTwP doesn't define whether the pauses are automatic (and when they occur) or manual, so RTwP covers most games that aren't strictly turn-based but still has a pause function. Doesn't it?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
RTwP doesn't define whether the pauses are automatic (and when they occur) or manual, so RTwP covers most games that aren't strictly turn-based but still has a pause function. Doesn't it?
It's implied that player has control over when the pausing happens.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
It's implied that player has control over when the pausing happens.
what would you call a game that pauses at random? (besides retarded)

tuluse

Arcane
what would you call a game that pauses at random?
Retar-
(besides retarded)
Dammit.

I guess you might describe it as RTwP. Maybe, Pausing Real Time. That would move the pausing from passive voice to active which would imply that the game is doing it.

Bilgefar

Savant
[long list of stuff]
I have linked to Your list in smudboy's YT comments, sea. I doubt he will bother to register and reply, but hopefully he will at least read it.
He called Your list 'a bunch of subjective bullshit'. Heartbreaking.
:lol:

Of course, half of Sea's list is just correcting factual errors that idiot made. Guy has a pretty broad definition of subjective, apparently covering the objective as well.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow that boy needs to get laid or get a job; he seems to have too much time on his hands (pun intended)
He actualy sounded like VaatiVidya's evil clone; only he says only bullshit to justify his preferences
This is EXACTLY the sort of idiot I knew they practicaly invited over to the party by that stupid survey...leave the surveys to the people like me who actualy work in that medium because everybody knows that the illusion of relevance (as in your retarded imput might matter to fucking Fargo and co) is way more dangerous than they realized.
This fucktard will now beign getting people like him who will claim they where deceived and start asking for refunds

Temaperacl

Erudite
Hmm, this reminds me. Temaperacl, if/when they declare turn-based combat, will you increase your pledge? If so, you should consider adding it to the Codex's. :cool:
I wasn't planning to, although I suppose I could. If I did, it wouldn't be until I got back after the new year anyhow. Were you thinking of trying to get the Codex contribution above the 10k mark, or was there some other reason to bump it up?

Temaperacl

Erudite
Yeah - a little out of the range I was planning to waste on KS & the Codex next year [Other plans for it]. Best use would actually be just to bump up my own pledge [Currently $5] and donate parts of it to the Codex or go for add-ons (Like 20 copies of the physical poster for DU to find something to do with).

Or just donate to the Codex directly. Maybe see how much ad-free time I can get without bothering about the "LIFE-TIME" options (I currently have until 2038) or something like that.

St. Toxic

Arcane
isn't phase based just having a separate planning and execution phase?

Pretty much, with the execution playing itself out. Suppose you added a turn-based element to either phase, well it wouldn't really be phase-based anymore right? I guess you could have the "planning" phase in turn-based if you could get a step by step of what your opponent was doing, with the execution phase essentially playing out as a glorified instant replay -- it hardly satisfies the criteria. But a turn-based execution that you don't have control over? That's only initiative, and relative to the chunks of time that the game works with. The whole set-up is essentially a rigid rtwp job.

that doesn't have to be real-time at all, see roborally.

What is?

tuluse

Arcane
Magic the Gathering is a phased based game that does not separate planning from execution.

Edit: and doesn't have simultaneous action or real time components.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Pretty much, with the execution playing itself out. Suppose you added a turn-based element to either phase, well it wouldn't really be phase-based anymore right? I guess you could have the "planning" phase in turn-based if you could get a step by step of what your opponent was doing, with the execution phase essentially playing out as a glorified instant replay -- it hardly satisfies the criteria. But a turn-based execution that you don't have control over? That's only initiative, and relative to the chunks of time that the game works with. The whole set-up is essentially a rigid rtwp job.
roborally gameplay:
planning phase: you draw program cards, then lay out a program for your robot consisting of 5 cards (if undamaged, dmg will lock cards in place until death). cards are actions like turn 90° left or go forward 1 and have initiative which determines who goes first if that becomes important.
when everybody has finished planning, you proceed to execution, which is step by step execution of everybody's program cards.
it's p. much the definition of phase based and it's pure tb.
in essence, phases are just a special form of turns, so you can have pure tb no rt pb but you cannot have pure rt no tb pb because there is no difference between a rt planning phase and a clocked/timed turn. either way, i am disappointed that computer devs tend to spaz out creatively and don't try more interesting things with tb, just always the same cliched sequential actions structure.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Arkham Horror (another board game) also has a phase-based system, and it's as turn based as they get. Players execute phases step-by-step in turns (preperation/movement/exploration/myth). When all players finish one phase, the game moves on to the next one.

hiver

yet amazingly phasebased is phasebased and turn based is turn based / i.e. they are not the same. mind fucking blowing i know.

hiver

[long list of stuff]
I have linked to Your list in smudboy's YT comments, sea. I doubt he will bother to register and reply, but hopefully he will at least read it.
He called Your list 'a bunch of subjective bullshit'. Heartbreaking.
Which is exactly what all of his idiotic opinions are.

Sometimes it really surprises me how much projection seeps out of these shitforbrains morons / but it seems as something ubiquitous across that segment of population.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm somewhat amazed that TB is winning the RTwP vs. TB vote. Hopefully the vast majority of backers will remain oblivious until the poll is closed.

I have 64 votes left to spend ineffectually on other community ideas. What should I spend them on?

Also:

5BSAH.png

:hero::lol:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
hiver is fighting the good fight with his voice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom