Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland inXile's Wasteland 1 Re-Release

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't look for a button or icon because
Wait, you didn't notice the book icon that looks completely different than the rest of the interface?

That book icon doesn't always show up. I've run into at least two paragraphs with no book icon to popup the text box with voice-over. Unfortunately, while steam has been patched to fix a lot of this, it still appears that the GOG version has not.
This is probably what happened then. I was playing the GOG version. Considering I've played Wasteland like 50 times, I'm pretty sure I should have noticed a new icon/button thing :P I mean I saw the one in inventory screen that gives manual text. And, I also was just testing the game for less than 30 minutes so I only encountered 1 or 2 "read paragraph blah" entries, so it's entirely possible those 1 or 2 are the bugged ones.

The bug is when there are two or more paragraph entries one after the other. The first one always has an icon, the others don't.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Good that I started modding it instead of playing. With luck, the game will be playable when I'll finish.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Got a question about WL1.. Let's say I want to start the game over from scratch. How do I do it? That WL reset thing prog is giving me troubles. Are there any specific game files I should delete?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got a question about WL1.. Let's say I want to start the game over from scratch. How do I do it? That WL reset thing prog is giving me troubles. Are there any specific game files I should delete?

The reset program isn't for restarting the game. It's for resetting the map but keeping your party, like a New Game+ mode.

To restart the game you just create a new party in a new savegame.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Not playing it through the Steam version. How can I do it manually?

Steam's got nothing to do with it, it's equally applicable to the GOG version. You just start a (n)ew game in the DOS-based menu.

Or wait, do you mean you're playing the original version of the game through DOSBox??

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
This might sound like a stupid question but i couldn't find the answer in the manual.

Are there any penalties for using ranged weapons in close combat range? My gun-toting rangers generally miss their targets while melee rangers steal all the kills.

imweasel

melee rangers steal all the kills

Not for long.

And there isn't a penalty that I am aware of.

The following really is a spoiler and not a hidden codex troll. :D
:troll:
Ok, seriously:

After the second half of the game melee combat is almost a worthless skill. Your whole team should be skilled in long range weapons; one or two bros can carry a proton axe or chainsaw along with them (+brawling skill of course), but that's about it. Melee weapons are advantageous, they can really help to get you out of some sticky situations. AT weapons are of course also very helpful, 2 bros or sisters with a good AT skill is more than enough.

Raise the dexterity of your gun slingers. Make sure you have enough skill points (raise IQ) to train your team for assault rifles - and energy weapons later on. You're pretty much good to go then, in regards to offensive combat at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS WASTELAN WAS ONE OF MY MOST PLAYED RPGS AS A KID LOOKING FORWARD TO A PLAYHTOUH WITH THIS VERSION

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut

Not for long.

Ok, seriously:

After the second half of the game melee combat is almost a worthless skill. Your whole team should be skilled in long range weapons; one or two bros can carry a proton axe or chainsaw along with them (+brawling skill of course), but that's about it. Melee weapons are advantageous, they can really help to get you out of some sticky situations. AT weapons are of course also very helpful, 2 bros or sisters with a good AT skill is more than enough.

Raise the dexterity of your gun slingers. Make sure you have enough skill points (raise IQ) to train your team for assault rifles - and energy weapons later on. You're pretty much good to go then, in regards to offensive combat at least.
I just want to correct something
Melee is the uber-skill, for 99% of the game. You may not have noticed, but I just tested it in Steam and the following is correct. You get 2x xps for using melee. So epic melee weapons in this game (proton axes, and the like) are awesome and really help speed up leveling. A good tactic is to tenderize an enemy with burst or full auto weapons, then let the melees finish them off. This gives double xps for an enemy that would be very hard to take down without mega damage.

Temaperacl

Erudite

Not for long.

Ok, seriously:

I just want to correct something
Melee is the uber-skill, for 99% of the game. You may not have noticed, but I just tested it in Steam and the following is correct. You get 2x xps for using melee. So epic melee weapons in this game (proton axes, and the like) are awesome and really help speed up leveling. A good tactic is to tenderize an enemy with burst or full auto weapons, then let the melees finish them off. This gives double xps for an enemy that would be very hard to take down without mega damage.

I don't know why these are in spoilers, however:
Really the only downside to melee is the need to be at point-blank range. [Edit: And, I suppose, the need to level 2 skills instead of one]
This is some data from one of my old parties that I posted in the WL2 forums just about a year ago. Basically, with high skills, melee will run equal or outdamage "burst" or "single shot" energy weapons. And note that this is just using fists and knifes, not the proton axe. Just remember to level your brawling as well as your primary weapon skill.

Party Members:
Temaperacl - Fists (Pugilism 7, Brawling 7 - 4 attacks/round) [I can't believe how long I've been using this name]
Era - Ion Beamer (Energy Weapon 7)
Shu - Knife (Knife Fight 7, Brawling 8 - 5 attacks/round)
"Doc" Davers - Meson Cannon (Energy Weapon 7)

Results (All combat was at point-blank range for simplicity.)

Scorpitron
Total Rounds to kill: 2
Tem: 27dmg (2/8 hits)
Era: 15dmg (2/2 hits)
Shu: 188dmg (9/10 hits)
Doc: 25dmg (2/2 hits)

Cochise Bots (Assorted)
Bunch of numbers, but boils down to, from high-low damage (# in paren indicate dmg/turn ignoring reload turns)
Era Auto: 155.5 d/t (311)
"Doc" Auto: 86.8 d/t (173.5)
Shu: 81.5 d/t
"Doc" Burst: 51.5 d/t (68.7)
Temaperacl: 41.6 d/t
"Doc" Single-shot: 38.5 d/t (42.4)
Era Burst: 30.3 d/t (35.3)
Era Single-shot: 21.7 d/t (22.7)

Since I generally try to conserve ammo, the profile usually looks to me like:
Shu: 81.5 d/t
Temaperacl: 41.6 d/t
"Doc" Single-shot: 38.5 d/t (42.4)
Era Single-shot: 21.7 d/t (22.7)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Somebody give Jack Dandy a Steam or GOG key for the new version. :P

You probably just need to reinstall the game.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Don't worry, I already got a key since I backed it. But I'd prefer playing the normal way.

Guess reinstalling's the way to go.. oh well.

Temaperacl

Erudite
Don't worry, I already got a key since I backed it. But I'd prefer playing the normal way.

Guess reinstalling's the way to go.. oh well.
I don't have a copy on this system, but I think it is just GAME1 and GAME2. Of course, you will need to replace them with originals after deleting them as they have the game content as well as the current game state.

4too

Arcane
Confirmation And MOAR!

Temaperacl said:
… it is just GAME1 and GAME2 …

Yes true, where the save is made on the game map determines to which file the save is written.

Good policy, if copying and storing elsewhere a progression of game saves, is to copy and retain the pair.

WL1 (reissue) being in a Dos Box bubble means a save in the PC version can work in the Mac, and visa versa.

I can play WL1 in Dos on a P4 XP SP3 rig and the game saves worked in PC and Mac WL1 (reissue).

The 1989 WL1 character editor locks the Reissue versions at the title screen, "disk error".

If want to buff up a starting party in the original version, that game save will transfer to the Reissue.

There are enough exploits and super loot bags in WL1 that the editor should / could be left in reserve or used with casual discretion.

Consider if you didn't give a good rolled character Brawling, or that 18 IQ has a 4 in Luck and Dexterity!

4too

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom