Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dead State Kickstarter Update #34: Demo preview video, game coming to Steam Early Access on January

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
The narrator is Brian Mitsoda, the lead of Dead State, formerly at Obsidian, formerly writer for Bloodlines. And yes, he narrated the NWN2 end sequence.

he even worked for microsoft under the name of mike.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I didn't watch TV very much, but I remember Vandal very well. Dat face :troll: I think Brian also voiced him.

The fuck only two handed weapons can attack diagonal tiles?

It works the same way in AoD I think. How would you do it then? Have diagonal attacks cost *1.5 AP? Not sure what better way you could deal with diagonal melee attacks on a square grid other than restricting it to certain weapons.

Different sets that serve different functions. Claiming either is superior is stupid.

However, it is stupid to impose perpendicular movement, forbidding diagonal movement unless your set of rules ride on high abstraction eg. Odium. And I don't like the idea of that kind of abstraction in Dead State.

Diagonal movement conditions:
Both squares adjacent to your diagonal vector empty - no problem
One square adjacent to your diagonal vector occupied by a hostile - penalty modifier to roll evasion
Both squares adjacent to your diagonal vector occupied by hostiles - higher penalty modifier to roll evasion

And AP costs aren't even a problem. Straight:diagonal ratio is practically 5:7. You could take those or round them just a little. 2 AP for straight (5 x2), 3 AP for diagonal (7 x2 = 14 ~= 15 = 5 x3 ).

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
All this pointless clunky crap about 'what do we do about the diagonal, then?' is made irrelevant in a hex grid. Anything adjacent is just plain adjacent.

What is the disadvantage of a hex grid? Flanking looks weird. Movement 'horizontal' is not always in a straight line (often irrelevant).

Strategy-wise I'll take hexes. You bunch of Squares. Play some fucking Battletech.

Hexes are super cool, you can even permit cardinal directions by letting to move onto a closest non-adjacent neighbor at proper cost with proper conditions for the two adjacent hexes you would be passing through.

Still, squares have their own places.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
What is the disadvantage of a hex grid? Flanking looks weird. Movement 'horizontal' is not always in a straight line (often irrelevant).
the biggest problem with hexes is that they are thought to be "close enough" so that nobody bothers with circular ranges when using hexgrids, meaning you will have more range in the strong directions and less in the weaker ones. squares on the other hand are not close enough, so people do tend to make proper ranges with them, which tends to look better the bigger your range value is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom