Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The VGX 2013 Thread (in before Mountain Dew)

His Majesty

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
God those jokes, please kill me.

Steve

Augur
NEXT GEN
NEXT GEN
NEXT GEN
NEXT GEN
NEXT GEN
DID WE MENTION ABOUT THE NEXT GEN?

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I fucking lol'd at the two people who applauded when Gone Home received the award. :lol:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I fucking lol'd at the two people who applauded when Gone Home received the award. :lol:
yeah that was pretty funny.
it was probably that one person at polygon or whatever who actually played it and gave it a perfect score, and a relative.
or two relatives.

Duraframe300

Arcane
And GOT is announced.

Telltale is working on 4 games at the moment.

Well, it makes sense considering their size.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I like how Joel McHale is horribly bored and acting like a troll, although a very bad one.

You can see the regret of hiring him in Geoff's eyes.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
that badguy in witcher 3 looks pretty dope.
too bad they have Geralt and his ugly face everywhere.

edit: looks like it's time for target demographic mismatch music and for the audience to close their browsers.

Steve

Augur
This show is pretty much everything that is wrong with "gaming". It's developers/publishers coming in turns and advertising their products. Joel McHale acting like a dick makes it somewhat bearable. This GTA concert seems to go forever.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Against my better judgement, I watched this shit:
Quantum something will be a bog standard third person, coverbased, popamole shooter with a gimmick.
Double Fine blown more money hiring Frodo.
Nitendo is gonna release, surprise, surprise: Donkey Kong #446564 this time with a monkey with a beard.
The Division had a teaser showing... snow, a car being shot and smoke... this time you can make bullet holes in cars, truly an innovative invention. Showing a gameplay video showing a bog standard third person shooter wouldn'd impress no one.
Dying light, Dead Island 2.0 but I have the following curiosity: If you were attacked by a zombie, what would be easier? Killing him with a sledgehammer or just hitting a button on a quick time event to do a very weak punch in his face while he is bitining you?No, there is no problem be bitten over and over again, you just need to press a button to quite gently make the zombie go away and kill him with you gentle ways.
Tell Tale is gonna make two more low budget movies with kinda mediocre writing, one is for milking retarded Borderlands fans and the another is to milk retarded GoT fans.I gonna get everything I wanted, a low poligon, with stiff facial animation and mediocre writing movie about GoT where I could just read the books and even the show that are going to be better anyway.
The Witcher 3 just released another teaser of a teaser of a teaser.
Titanfall look like CoD but with robots and a jumping in walls gimmick. Nothing better than die over and over again for Roxxx4532og but this he was in a robot.
I won't even mention the rest of the shit::kwanzania:
The only one that kinda made me interested was the one with procedural generated planets where you could travel with your space ship and visit planets with different fauna and flora, procedually generated. Swim in the oceans, walk anywhere on land, take a space ship, travel and combat in space then explore other planets. But the shit will be empty, repetitive and generic looking anyway as the guys behind it have the too much ambition not enough money syndrome.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
These type of events never have anything worthwhile, I don't know why people still watch them.
ib1w5yOMqDZALF.gif

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The only one that kinda made me interested was the one with procedural generated planets where you could travel with your space ship and visit planets with different fauna and flora, procedually generated. Swim in the oceans, walk anywhere on land, take a space ship, travel and combat in space then explore other planets. But the shit will be empty, repetitive and generic looking anyway as the guys behind it have the too much ambition not enough money syndrome.
Yeah this sounded pretty good, but will at best end up in Steam Early Access limbo and never be a complete game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Witcher 3 and No Man's Sky only interesting things I see in the recap headlines. Is No Man's Sky on PC? Doesn't seem to say.

Dexter

Arcane
If anyone is interested in who actually nominated and voted for these "games", here you go:
9VF7HFN.png

Well I'm probably the Codex's biggest confirmed explorefag.
The problem I have with these games is that more often than not there is shit all to actually "explore" since nobody actually put any effort behind buildings an interesting setting/levels and encounters, else they couldn't be "procedural". It's usually a variation of the same room/tiles/pieces of decoration or events that get pasted over and over and which get boring fast. There is a certain amount of procedurality that can make a game better imo (see for instance Diablo 2) or generally allowing a bit of freedom within constraints but combining it with a lot of very specific encounters and hand-crafted content which drive the game further, but a lot of the games that praise themselves on "procedural design" look like utter shit to me since they seem so generic:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom