Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus Urquhart babbles about ideas for future Kickstarters at Rock Paper Shotgun

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

The guys at Rock Paper Shotgun have finally published their interview with Feargus Urquhart, in which he was supposed to reveal "Obsidian's next Kickstarter". As some of you may have guessed, it turns out to be a bit less dramatic than that. Feargus spends most of the interview hinting at various ideas that have been floating around at Obsidian, but never actually reveals anything substantial - although the interview does confirm that we can expect some new Obsidian Kickstarter next year with a high degree of probability.

On to the quotes. Feargus' first idea is described as some kind of "Skyrim in the Eternity engine". But it's not clear from his words whether such a game would even be a traditional 2D isometric RPG, so I'm not sure what the meaning of "Eternity engine" is in that context. Also, it would be episodic(?!).

“What’s cool about Eternity and then, well, I’d be really surprised if we didn’t make an Eternity II, is having something else we can then use that tech for,” he explains. “I mean, not exactly, because then it would just be a reskinned Eternity. But I always look at the example of what we did back at Black Isle with Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale. And then Torment on top of that. Those games used the exact same engine, but they all felt very distinct. That’s what we want to do now too, and I think that’s just gonna help us make each of those games better and better.”

“What I’m trying to figure out is, how could we make something that is more like a Skyrim for PC – forget console for now – with the engine we made in Unity for Eternity? Where we are with our conversation, quest, data editors, and all of that. If we were careful about scope and let Chris Avellone go wild with creating a new world, more of an open world, what could we do?”

“How much would it cost? Would it make sense for it to be episodic? Because going out there and saying, ‘We’re gonna make 100 hours of gameplay,’ everyone goes, ‘Oh my god, how could it not cost millions?’ But could we create ten hours and have people pay ten bucks? And generally when we say ten hours, it’s usually 15. But if we go with five episodes, then people get between 50 and 75 hours.”

It’s certainly an intriguing thought, practically a missing link in the RPG food chain. What would’ve happened if CRPGs stayed in the Infinity Engine mold, but pumped resources into size, scope, ambition, and sandboxy-ness instead of graphical fidelity and cinematics? What would the genre have become? Now, finally, we might be able to find out.

But it’s not just about playing to nostalgia. This is actually a very practical consideration on Urquhart’s (urqu)part, as he doesn’t really see any other way to do a game this huge while maintaining full creative control.

“What could we do that would be interesting enough and at the right quality level?” he ponders aloud. “Because the one worry we have about moving away from pre-rendered stuff, is that as soon as we get into first-person or third-person or something like that, the expectation of triple-A-level console graphics comes in. So what can we do for a lower budget but let people still say, ‘Whoa, that’s crazy’?”

“We have other ideas too,” he enthuses. “Like Eternity has a big party size, but what happens if we render in close and have a smaller party? Make it more about the characters and less about the tactics? There’s a lot of ideas, and we want to see what [game engine] Unity can do as well.”
Uh, okay. Fortunately, it appears that those ideas are more "pie in the sky", and they might not ever get made, at least not on Kickstarter. Feargus does have some more concrete plans for a Kickstarter as well, but he's reluctant to discuss them.

In fact, it sounds like Obsidian’s already narrowed down its direction for a second Kickstarter quite a lot. During our chat, Urquhart only offers sly hints, just as one might expect from a man who once oversaw the most silver-tongued of espionage RPGs and yeah, no, it’s not going to be Alpha Protocol. Damn it.​

“There’s something we’re talking about that I think would be really cool, but it’s not an original property,” he says. “It’s a licensed property. But it’s not Alpha Protocol! It’s something we can still do a ton of creative stuff with, though. And then the other thing is an original property. Also, there’s a third thing that somebody approached us with, but I really don’t think that’s going to work out.”

Regardless, a second Kickstarter is pretty much a lock. That’s really not much of a surprise after Eternity vacuumed up dollars like a vending machine on the verge of starvation. Still though, it’s a bit surprising to hear out loud, given that Pillars of Eternity is still fairly early. That, according to Urquhart is why you’re only hearing at this point, and not seeing, touching, or, er, tasting (which, to be fair, isn’t entirely outside the realm of possibility). You paid for a game, not the opportunity to fund another game. Obsidian is well aware of that.

“We’re very grateful for what people have given us, and I don’t want to go back to the well before we’ve proven anything,” Urquhart confesses. “That would be really lame of us. But I think we have a good idea and we’ve kind of proven things with Eternity to a point. Obviously we have a larger studio, so we actually have people to work on stuff [beforehand]. But I don’t want people to feel like we’re taking advantage of them.”

“I’m happy to make Eternity, and the hope is to come up with another Kickstarter that people would be interested in. My hope is that by March or April of next year, we’ll have something we can kind of start talking to people about.”

Ideally, he adds, he’d like to employ a setup not unlike inXile’s with Wasteland 2 and Torment. In other words, run a second Kickstarter when the first game is nearly finished so that the Eternity team can seamlessly transition over. For now, though, it’s all Pillars of Eternity, er, most of the time. Urquhart’s simply laying the tracks for his company’s next excursion into not-entirely-uncharted (but also kinda uncharted) territory, preparing for the future. And for the first time in a long time, he’s getting to do it his way.

“What’s interesting is, right now, between Steam and Kickstarter, developers are creating the brands,” he observes. “Not publishers. It hasn’t been this way since the ’90s. I’m not sure what it means yet, but it’s exciting.”

History, they say, is doomed to repeat itself. But if you ask Obsidian, they’ll probably tell you that’s a-okay.
Well, that was a whole lot of nothing. I guess we'll have to wait and see what comes up next year.

himmy

Arcane
I would like to see a Divine Divinity-style open world 2D isometric RPG by Obsidian. If they plan to follow PoE with a more combat-centric game, I would much rather that it was like the DD open world, rather than the IWD linearity. And I'm fairly sure that's what they're saying.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It seems that every developer wants to have its own 'Skyrim' now :troll: Also, after what I've seen in Wasteland 2 beta, using Unity is probably not a very good idea. PE looks better though.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Pie in the sky bullshit.

Do a TB game you fuckers. Don't hog Josh just for RTwP.

Tigranes

Arcane
Feargus has been saying all this stuff for the last 5 years. Before Skyrim. So meh. It's more accurate to say an Eternity: New Vegas, isn't it? But if they were going to do that they should have used Onyx. I don't think that's a Kickstartable game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But it's not clear from his words whether such a game would even be a traditional 2D isometric RPG, so I'm not sure what the meaning of "Eternity engine" is in that context.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...anned-duraframe-du.88411/page-12#post-3008018

March/April makes sense because that's roughly around when PoE exits production and goes into alpha (as well as giving us a video with a bit more detail). With all the people they need for the AAA contract work, they need to a) not draw too many resources away from those projects and b) not hire too much additional staff for self/crowd-funded projects.

Feargus has been saying all this stuff for the last 5 years. Before Skyrim. So meh. It's more accurate to say an Eternity: New Vegas, isn't it? But if they were going to do that they should have used Onyx. I don't think that's a Kickstartable game.
Onyx is full of expensive middleware and already obsolete/dead. One could hypothetically make an open world FPP/TPP game with Unity.

Athelas

Arcane
March/April makes sense because that's roughly around when PoE exits production and goes into alpha (as well as giving us a video with a bit more detail). With all the people they need for the AAA contract work, they need to a) not draw too many resources away from those projects and b) not hire too much additional staff for self/crowd-funded projects.
South Park also comes out at around that time, right? It will be interesting to see how its reception would impact a new Kickstarter project.

Skyrim has basically become synonymous with an open-world and open-ended RPG, despite the actual game doing a terrible job of leveraging the strengths of open-world design.

Points of interest:
“There’s something we’re talking about that I think would be really cool, but it’s not an original property,” he says. “It’s a licensed property. But it’s not Alpha Protocol! It’s something we can still do a ton of creative stuff with, though. And then the other thing is an original property. Also, there’s a third thing that somebody approached us with, but I really don’t think that’s going to work out.”

Where we are with our conversation, quest, data editors, and all of that. If we were careful about scope and let Chris Avellone go wild with creating a new world, more of an open world, what could we do?”

Last edited:

hexer

What would’ve happened if CRPGs stayed in the Infinity Engine mold, but pumped resources into size, scope, ambition, and sandboxy-ness instead of graphical fidelity and cinematics? What would the genre have become? Now, finally, we might be able to find out.

:takemymoney:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
There’s something we’re talking about that I think would be really cool, but it’s not an original property,” he says. “It’s a licensed property. But it’s not Alpha Protocol! It’s something we can still do a ton of creative stuff with, though.
Any ideas on what this might be? I wanted to speculate but the more I think about it, it could be anything.

At least we can put to rest the idea that Obsidian's next kickstarter will be launching soon. It'll probably be announced 6 weeks or so before PoE's official release.
Edit: Roguey's March/April timeframe actually makes more sense.

Dexter

Arcane
Screw "Open World isometric RPGs". I get flashbacks to stuff like Titan Quest or Sacred when thinking about that. They're usually nowhere as fun as they first sound like they could be. On the other hand... Ultima.

Anyway, a Sci-Fi RPG would probably be the best, as someone mentioned something like a Star Trek RPG or similar, I believe Obsidian has even entertained the idea before. :P
Fantasy RPGs will be getting old fast, especially with a bunch of them incoming and there doesn't seem to be a shortage of Cyberpunk and Post-Apocalyptic ones either.
But when I'm trying to think about upcoming Sci-Fi RPGs STASIS seems the closest and that isn't even an RPG.
Even thinking back I'm kind of drawing a blank when something like that was last released. There were the few 3D Biowareian ones like KOTOR or Mass Effect, but I can't really remember an isometric one. (Maybe Albion? Although that was a 3D/2D Mix. Or if we count RPGs from the Far East Gorky 17/Septerra Core?)

Last edited:

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Screw "Open World isometric RPGs". I get flashbacks to stuff like Titan Quest or Sacred when thinking about that. They're usually nowhere as fun as they first sound like they could be. On the other hand... Ultima.

Anyway, a Sci-Fi RPG would probably be the best, as someone mentioned something like a Star Trek RPG or similar, I believe Obsidian has even entertained the idea before. :P
Fantasy RPGs will be getting old fast, especially with a bunch of them incoming and there doesn't seem to be a shortage of Cyberpunk and Post-Apocalyptic ones either.
But when I'm trying to think about upcoming Sci-Fi RPGs STASIS seems the closest and that isn't even an RPG.

I'd like to see a Steampunk RPG. Yeah, Stasis looks amazing, my most awaited adventure game for next year. You tried the demo? I'm so hyped :dance:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
“We have other ideas too,” he enthuses. “Like Eternity has a big party size, but what happens if we render in close and have a smaller party? Make it more about the characters and less about the tactics?”

Yuck! What a terrible idea. Isn't Bioware already doing this...? :hmmm:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Has Michael Moorcock's "Eternal Champion" multiverse ever been properly explored in a CRPG? How about Clark Ashton Smith's Hyperborea?

I want to see a developer properly capture the aesthetics and vibe of that literature, even if it's not actually set in either of those fictive universes. Visually, think: Frazetta, Ralph Bakshi, Heavy Metal comics, etc.

Then again, I suppose we're all too evolved and sensitive now to see something like this in a mainstream commercial product?

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Feargus said:
Because the one worry we have about moving away from pre-rendered stuff, is that as soon as we get into first-person or third-person or something like that, the expectation of triple-A-level console graphics comes in. So what can we do for a lower budget but let people still say, ‘Whoa, that’s crazy

I don't necesserely agree with him on this. I think a strong artistic direction can do wonders. For example I think No Man's Sky was very well received, and I'm definitely looking for more from this game. It was a 4 men job if I recall correctly and yet it was quite impressive, very reminiscent of old Sci-Fi book covers (which I love).

That's something that hasn't been done enough in my opinion. Strange and colorful sci-fi instead of the grim "mature" Mass Effect crap. Hopefully Torment will fill that gap a bit but I think there's room for more, especially from Obsidian.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe they mean to make Arcanum type game only making the world smaller and actually fill it with dungeons/ruins/villages instead of just having empty space.

Also they might be throwing Skyrim around just to attract attention.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Feargus said:
Because the one worry we have about moving away from pre-rendered stuff, is that as soon as we get into first-person or third-person or something like that, the expectation of triple-A-level console graphics comes in. So what can we do for a lower budget but let people still say, ‘Whoa, that’s crazy

So why move away from the pre-rendered style then? Is he saying its too expensive?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Witcher clone slamdunk incoming :M

Feargus, Feargus never changes.

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Wow, they should really gag Feargus, he seems to only ever say the wrong things. From "No one would get through character creation nowadays" to the stupid answers he gave on the Eternity Kickstarter page and now this.

Visperas

Augur
He seems to imply they're gonna use the Eternity engine to make a skyrim-like game. It doesn't compute.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom