Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Obsidian Kickstarter (Update: Not really, dammit Duraframe) (Banned Duraframe - DU)

LivingOne

Savant
No,but seriously aside from the vagueness of it all most of the ideas sound awful and worrisome:

-this:
It’s a licensed property. But it’s not Alpha Protocol! It’s something we can still do a ton of creative stuff with, though. And then the other thing is an original property. Also, there’s a third thing that somebody approached us with, but I really don’t think that’s going to work out.”
Do they mean the Strange by Monte Cook kickstarted,here?Would make sense given its succes,the 'reduced party' thing and seeing it's got simple ruleset and a wacky setting(from what I read).

How likely would it be that Obsidian would work with that setting though?
Well it raised more than 400k on ks,so it wouldn't be surprising if they considered at least.Plus what Rake said(not the awful anti-mondblutian stuff:P).

Last edited:

Stabwound

Arcane
So their big news was based off comments that basically said "Yes, we plan on probably doing another kickstarter, and it will be an RPG." Wow, shocker of the year.

The good news is that they really do plan on using the PoE engine like the Infinity Engine. 2D, topdown games are only a good thing to me.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I think Feargus was high or something. In any case if what RPS reported is the direction Obsidian is taking... welp.

As its Feargus the answer is easy and obvious.

Nope.

O at least different from what it sounds. Fearg doesn't... interview well.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Haha, Obsidian delivers once again.

Remember, if you pledge for Skyrim 2D you're helping them make real RPGs!!!

So far P:E is stacking up to be a lot more thought-through than Wasteland :M

(inb4 "obsidifan scum", i detest half of their catalogue)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So far P:E is stacking up to be a lot more thought-through than Wasteland :M

I hated Obsidian well before inXile kickstarted. :troll:

We'll see how thought-through it is when it gets out, though. W2 promised a lot too.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
What's with the constant Skyrim name dropping anyway (see also CD Projekt RED)? You'd think there existed no open-world RPG's prior to it.

No proper ones, no. Skyrim re-defined the genre.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
I don't get what people are upset about. He said they want to revive IE model of making multiplr games on the same engine and that is awesome.

Last edited:

Seolas

Liturgist
There are enough fantasy games coming out for me, I like the idea of modern or futuristic/sci-fi. An espionage RPG in the Homeland style could be pretty good, using some ideas from Alpha Protocol.

Sci-fi would be easier. A planet-hopping game with an upgradable spaceship and interesting companions + intrigue aboard it, a la Battlestar Galactica. I guess that recent Kickstarter called The Mandate will be trying that, but no reason there can't be two of them made in different styles (by gawd, there are plenty of fantasy games).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I find a second fantasy RPG on the same engine a hard sell on kickstarter... imagine 4-5 months from now, South Park RPG is released with "meh" reception, still no sign of Pillars of Eternity and Obisidian wants money again for another fantasy RPG, without even delivering the first one they proposed.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
“There’s something we’re talking about that I think would be really cool, but it’s not an original property,” he says. “It’s a licensed property. But it’s not Alpha Protocol! It’s something we can still do a ton of creative stuff with, though. And then the other thing is an original property. Also, there’s a third thing that somebody approached us with, but I really don’t think that’s going to work out.”

:hmmm:

I just hope it isn't fantasy. They already have PE to take care of that.
Hmm, licensed property... Arcanum?

Rake

Arcane
I don't get what people are upset about. He said they want to rivie IE model of making multiplr games on the same engine and that is awesome.
Yes but some of the ideas were meh. Skyrim...[pukes]

VioletShadow
It is posible. Obsidian and inXile are already close. They could bring Cook in the group (his ideas sell apparently). Plus it helps Cook's settings to become more popular. Win win for everyone.

felipepepe
I realy doubt Obsidian will kickstart anything before PE beta (or alpha+) is out

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know what would be cool? Stardock giving them the license to do a Star Control sequel. It'd be like doing to Mass Effect what Wasteland did to (Bethesda) Fallout.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Game of Thrones. THAT would give them a couple of millions.

I hope not because I fucking hate fucking retarded Game of Thrones.
I like the show and I'm indifferent to the books (I read the first two and thought they were okay), but I hate everything outside of that.
"What's outside of that?": Fans. I hate GoT fans.
Which is one reason why I like the show, because their favorite characters die all the time.

I hope Obsidian makes an Eternity spin-off for KS next year when Pillars is wrapping up. Same world, different story, a slightly different take on gameplay.

Nikolaj

Educated
I hope they'll end up licensing something good. It seems to me that there are plenty of cool IPs that could provide excellent settings for rpgs, but that the world and setting is often of secondary importance to just getting a big name IP that'll generate more sales, even if the game is shitty. I'd love to see a Morbus Gravis or a Black Company rpg, for example, but there are so many other cool settings to choose from, many of which probably wouldn't be too expensive to get (not that I have any idea what that sort of thing costs).

However, the people at Obsidian seem to always be talking about how they want their own IP, to do with what they want, and I guess a lot of developers prefer that over getting some no-name IP, however cool it may be. Sadly, building a cool world that isn't just another Forgotten Realms clone full of goofy names, is clearly very difficult, judging by most of the titles I've seen over the past decade or so. Honestly, I'm not too impressed on that account by what I've seen of Project Eternity so far, either, and I kind of doubt that Obsidian is actually capable of creating an IP that is more than just a clone of every other crpg IP. Although I guess if all they really want to do is just to create a fun dungeon romp, where any setting is as good as the next, as long as it has orcs and elves, it doesn't really matter either way.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Eternity vs Forgotten Realms. I wouldn't care which and that's what Obsidian were after. They have their own fantasy IP for fantasy games.
I think they could easily make a sci-fi IP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom