Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Things that might have been

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Black Isle Studios; Fallout 3 (Van Buren)

For those who haven't seen it, <A href="http://nma-fallout.com">No Mutants Allowed</a> has a <A href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/fallout3/fo3mm.png">screenshot of the load screen</a> from the recently canned <b><i>Van Buren</i></b> project which was being worked on by <A href="http://www.blackisle.com">Black Isle Studios</a> before <b>Lord Caen</b> and <b>Darth Molitor</b> shut them down and cancelled the project.
<br>
<br>
And boy, does that power armor look like crap.
<br>

Seven

Erudite
I dunno the power armor doesn't look so bad; instead the models look overall crappy. Probably because they're zoomed in too close. Plus the general look is amateurist. Probably because it was in alpha, but still...

triCritical

Erudite
I do not believe the final version would have looked that crappy. Although I really do like the screenshot and in some ways makes me feel very sad.

Seven

Erudite
triCritical said:
I do not believe the final version would have looked that crappy. Although I really do like the screenshot and in some ways makes me feel very sad.

This whole situation is pretty ironic isn't it? I mean we all wait what, 5 years for sequel? Now when they finally decide to make it, it gets canned and BIS gets canned too. Yea, it is sad in a way, but we're better off now that we know that FO is destined to whored at every turn. Hey, at least things can't get any worse, unless something happens to Troika...

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It looks to me like some fan is playing around with Photoshop and Poser more then a real screenshot

Man, Fallout 3 would have been hard to think of as Fallout if it reminded me of NWN as much as that screenie did... :?

But yea, the graphics engine was probably just a marginally functional wad of nuthin'. So I guess I could have survived it. :P

Jed

Cipher
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Yeah, it definitely looks to me like those models were pasted onto the backdrop.
Yeah, I was on the floor at the amateurish Floating Feet Syndrome action.

Sometimes less is more, in this case: 3D does not always equal t3h win!

Lemon

Arcane
Otaku_Hanzo said:
HanoverF said:
It looks to me like some fan is playing around with Photoshop and Poser more then a real screenshot

Yeah, it definitely looks to me like those models were pasted onto the backdrop.

I read that they were

Sharpei_Diem

Liturgist
Yeah, they definately look pasted in.

The other thing that doesn't fit is the angle on the foreground train looks wrong. Maybe it was put together by someone on the team, but it looks more like a placeholder kinda thing....

and to think all those years of pasting heads in photoshop actually paid off for something... :lol:

Dan

Liturgist
Yes, the charecters were planted in... They wouldn't have looked liked this in the game itself, just in this picture.

Sammael

Liturgist
Furthermore,remember that the game's perspective would have been isometric, and zoomed-out quite a bit. The characters would have looked beautiful.

Briosafreak

Augur
If you're referring to the traincar texture, yeah. We just never got aroundt o doing a higher res texture for it. If you're talking about the two people, those are the same textures that are used in the game. Since during normal gameplay you'd never get that close, they stayed sharp and crisp at the game's max zoom level running at 1024. You didn't start seeing bluring of textures in the game 'till you bumped it up to 1600 res.

The main menu is nothing compared to the actual game. Many jaws hit the floor the first time we saw a complete level. The PC strode into a burnt-out cityscape, the ruins of tall buildings casting deep shadows on the ground, the wind kicking up dust as the PC walked along. There was even Fallouty funeral music Sawyer found somewhere.
Now all I have to say is "Arrrrgh!"

I`ll show what they mean in a few days, if all goes well.

Sabotai

Liturgist
Dan said:
Yes, the charecters were planted in... They wouldn't have looked liked this in the game itself, just in this picture.
What a sloppy job.. they don't even have shadows. Or necks for that matter.

Briosafreak

Augur
Nope, they're placed on the level and animate.

As for the lack of shadows, whoever released the pic had their shadow setting set to off. There are 3 modes, off, drop shadow (circle under feet), and volumetric. Volumetric looks sweet in-game, but ass this up close.

The power armor looks MUCH better from the "isometric" view we all know and love.

Nagling

Educated
Edit: really should read everything before I post. Now any way to delete this nonsense post?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom