Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Fallout: New Vegas. One more DLC to do.

Far Cry 3. Fun game, it's Skyrim with guns!

Likely getting Red Dead Redemption for Christmas. <3 my fiancee.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Just finished The Witcher 2: The Assassins of Kings for the second time. Didn't remember nearly anything from my previous playthrough, just the skeleton of the plot, so it felt pretty fresh.

Played on Dark difficulty. What I liked:

+ Some fairly balanced and fun encounters...
+ Kind of cool customization...
+ The plot was good, "deep" and big in scale...
+ The voice actors were top-notch.
+ Graphics are beautiful and the artstyle and -direction are both amazing.
+ Sound environment is good too.

Well... What I didn't like:

- ... but mostly they were annoying and cheap, as the basic gameplay is pretty shite.
- ... in the end mostly meaningless, 90% of choices are overshadowed by the obviously powerful choices (riposte, block, roll, insta-kill...)
- ... but it felt too big, grandiose and epic for it's own good. A mixed bag of cliches and fresh ideas. Still, mostly good.
- Goddamn that gameplay.
- Sluggish controls.
- Did I mention the gameplay.

Meh. Won't propably play a third time.

7/10, above average but not up there. (Now publicly flog me for liking the damn game. :mob:)

just finished gothic 2 its awesome
With "Night of the Raven" I assume?
notr ruined the experience for me.
suddenly every mob instakills me, the only way to survive is to grind each and every mob available, quickload a lot and hope to stunlock the enemy or he'll kill you.
i dropped after the old valley because of the hooded thingies, fighting them was excruciating: no way to block or dodge, one minute of whacking them against their three sneezes to kill me.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I tried to waste my time with Dead Space.

Never played the series so I decided to give it a shot, but not deal. For some reason the game is stubborn enough to show my normal screen cursor on top of the game one. Which wouldn't be so bad if they moved in the same area of the screen, but they do not. Their range of movement is totally different and because my brain is trained to follow the mouse cursor I just can't play it. And I even don't know what is causing it. I tried to change the settings, reinstalled the driver, reinstalled the game itself, tried playing in window mode. Nothing works. So I wasted a lot of time on a game that I couldn't even play. I'm such a genius.
press the start menu button on your keyboard and then alt-tab back to the game

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
suddenly every mob instakills me, the only way to survive is to grind each and every mob available, quickload a lot and hope to stunlock the enemy or he'll kill you.
i dropped after the old valley because of the hooded thingies, fighting them was excruciating: no way to block or dodge, one minute of whacking them against their three sneezes to kill me.
Pussy.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Console kiddie.
Seriously, NoTR is messed up only at the start.

Alonebadman

Educated
Fable the Lost Chapters for the pleasure of remembering "You can grow a tree and it'll age with you!". Despite its age, it still did the action-rpg lite pretty solid despite turning into a roid glowing 65 year old body-builder by the end of the game.

FNV for the replay factor. Played it on my XBAWKS 360 my sophmore year and enjoyed the hell out of it despite the limitations of the console. Picked up the ultimate edition on the steam sale and have put in a 50+ hours in a first playthrough NCR path. Despite the occassional crash, FNV really is a solid game that lives up to Fallout's storytelling to a degree. The level of open endness and multiple ways to finish most quests brings back that feeling of actually making decisions that give C&C even with limitations. Old World Blues was my favorite expansion for the retro mad scientists story.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Recently I finished Sleeping Dogs and its campaign DLCs.

Overall I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It was fairly dramatic without being melodramatic, funny without descending into brainless parody or teenage bullying (hi GTA), the gameplay itself was generally solid, fun and worked well for this kind of game (albeit fairly unremarkable), and overall it didn't really wear out its welcome despite me pretty much 100-percenting it over about 32 hours. Also, despite a few issues with the controls, the PC version looks very nice and runs quite well - very well-realized version of Hong Kong, with an atmosphere different to Western cities, though it's maybe a bit more static and empty than something like GTA IV's.

Biggest complaints with it are story-related - inconsistency in tone and theme, some aborted plot threads and characters that don't properly finish their arcs (way too much supporting cast around the protagonist that does nothing consequential), and the ending got pretty unbelievable and I found it extremely out of place as far as believability goes, with most of the game being pretty well grounded and the ending turning Wei into a goddamn super-human demigod capable of shrugging off huge amounts of torture and violence.

I also think that the triad vs. cop XP system could have been handled better. At first, I expected the two to routinely come into conflict, with Wei needing to balance his trustworthiness with both factions at the same time, working for one while being careful not to do things that would make the other lose faith in him. Nothing so complex, unfortunately - instead they're just two different XP bars you get for doing completely different things, and there's no situation where you will lose cop XP to get triad XP or anything like that. You could do so much with this - different mission objectives depending on who you want to support, different ways to subdue enemies, etc. but that potential is mostly wasted.

Also, I don't think it's really worth talking about too much, but can we please get rid of bullshit dating mini-games and side-missions that have nothing to do with the plot at all? It's not fun content and the characters are basically meaningless in the story (Wei even says during it he's not in a situation where he'd want a girlfriend, yet he can date four women total, wat?), so why was it even included? Just seems like some bullshit check-box thing that had to be filled to make it "more competitive with GTA IV".

Oh, the DLCs probably aren't worth playing. Nightmare in North Point is kinda funny for about 20 minutes but then runs out of ideas and turns into 3 hours of copy-pasta fights against some slightly different enemies. The end boss battle was such a boring repetitive grind I literally started to wonder if the game had glitched out and was spawning more trash mobs than it was supposed to.

Year of the Snake is a bit better, and it teases different gameplay thanks to Wei now being a "plainclothes" cop, but the story is basically non-existent despite a good setup, and most of the main missions are short and uninteresting. I also ran into some bugs and sloppiness, ranging from enemies spawning in weird spots and running into walls during some of the missions, to the game telling me not to use lethal force even though it was an AI companion that made the kill. The ending is so anti-climactic I actually said "wait, that's it?" out loud.

Last edited:

LundB

Mistakes were made.
At one point in Sleeping Dogs I drowned a man in a toilet filled with his own piss after burning his friend's face off with a stove (Vic Mackey would be proud) and throwing another onto a table saw. While playing an undercover cop. These were just a few of the contextual environmental attacks possible.

Excellent game.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know those moments in M&B:Warband where you face down a lord with an army much larger than yours? And somehow you prevail, only to be instantly attacked by another lord the VERY MINUTE you go back to the overland map? And then, all your troops are killed and you're the only one left, having to face 40-50 guys on your own? And you scramble like crazy, carefully manipulating horses so you'll have one nearby, just in case, whilst you ride around the enemies in a circle, slowly cutting their numbers down, one by one by one? AND THEN, WHEN THERE ARE ONLY THREE OF THEM LEFT, YOU'RE KNOCKED OUT BY A LUCKY JAVELIN SHOT? :x

This game is fun.

Cassidy

Arcane
I recently finished Expeditions: Conquistador and Primordia. The former was quite good for its limited budget, but it was lacking in AI and encounter design and variety, yet my interest in this very unused setting, specially for CRPGs, made me more forgiving than the usual, and I really hope Logic Artists won't repeat the devolution their fellow Danes at IO Interactive went through in AAA+ popamole decline but instead focus on such concept that has lots of potential yet and further improve it. As for Primordia, it was a nice and cool Adventure I knew I wouldn't regret buying after playing the demo. Perhaps not as good as Beneath as Steel Sky, but still good enough and possibly the best of the Wadjet Eye games.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Still

zjhulj.jpg

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Waiting for Pathologic to download. I decided to stop waiting for the damn kickstarter and just roll with it. Any tips on which character I should play for the best playthrough as far as the English translation goes?

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Waiting for Pathologic to download. I decided to stop waiting for the damn kickstarter and just roll with it. Any tips on which character I should play for the best playthrough as far as the English translation goes?

Most people seem to prefer the Bachelor. I've only completed the Haruspix and it was pretty incomprehensible at times, especially when talking about the nature of the town. Part of the Haruspix's appeal is the fact that his reputation frequently is damaged to the point where you have to avoid the law, but it's so easily fixed.

Devoutress is unlockable after beating either of the men's games. Hers is apparently the worst translated. I think hers even has one line that contradicts the plot because it was so poorly translated.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

Most people seem to prefer the Bachelor. I've only completed the Haruspix and it was pretty incomprehensible at times, especially when talking about the nature of the town. Part of the Haruspix's appeal is the fact that his reputation frequently is damaged to the point where you have to avoid the law, but it's so easily fixed.

Devoutress is unlockable after beating either of the men's games. Hers is apparently the worst translated. I think hers even has one line that contradicts the plot because it was so poorly translated.

Thanks. I think I recall people saying that the Bachelor's story was the one to play but I wasn't all too sure :)

Butcer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
it took alot of time to get strong enough to kill the stronger mobs, when your up to level 20 it gets alot easier , heck at level 1 you are so weak two giant rats can kill you .

I dont think ive ever seen a game where your weaker at level 1 then gothic 2 notr

Alonebadman

Educated
Sleeping Dogs you could tell was a true crime game. The combat system is evocative of the original 2003 game with its kung-fu and environmental attacks and pick up weapons. True Crime had that same style of humor and didn't overstay it's welcome either. It was a 11-12 hour game where the story reacted in a limited way. Too much of a bad cop, you get the shittiest ending without figuring out the story. Granted, the story was your typical B action movie but playing with codes to change the character into the npcs was worth it. It was fun because it played fast and loose with driving unlike GTAIII forced you to do that one car bomb mission.

Still, Sleeping Dogs is a solid if standard action game if you want to tune out and have some fun.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Finished Rayman: Origins. Very charming platformer, with good art and music, and satisfying core gameplay mechanics. Some of the world-specific gimmicks weren't as fun as the basic platforming, but they held up nevertheless. Still, I think what the game does best is high-speed platforming, like chases and escapes. Levels do support the time attack mode very well in general though.

That segment with the fucking lava geysers.:x

Deleted member 7219

Just got past 50% complete on my first Assassin's Creed 4 playthrough.

Really enjoying the game so far. I'm an AC fan anyway, but this feels like the game AC 3 should have been. Definitely the best in the series since Brotherhood and I think with the strength of the exploration and naval combat, it surpasses even that game. Not sure what to make of the modern-day elements, I for one really enjoyed the Desmond stuff and it seems like they've taken all of that out because people complained, and they've replaced it with weird first-person bullshit.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Outlast--Holy fuck this game has some intense moments. Jump scares are the lowest form of horror, but "Outlast" probably does jump scares better than any game I've ever encountered. Plus, it's probably the darkest game I've ever played. And I mean "dark" literally as probably 85% of all levels are pitch black. Which means you can only view them via night vision camera which gives the whole game a creepy "Blair Witch/Paris Hilton Sex tape" vibe.

That said, it has its flaws. Chief among them being that it's very trial and error. Alot of the game consists of almost "Mirror's Edge" type sequences where you have to run from pursuers. More than a few times I found myself suddenly in a very intense sequence where I had to search for some component to proceed, only to die and have to restart. After the 5th time of doing this, all fear turns to straight up tedium and frustration as you fumble around in the dark searching for the right components, being killed repeatedly, until you finally stumble on them seemingly at random. Which completely deflates any tension the game had built up to that point. Plus, as with "Amnesia" (which was also very intense in its opening segments, but less so as it progressed), eventually you learn how to "game" the monsters and their mystique wears off, making things much less scary. But to its credit, "Outlast" has more than a few twists and tricks up its sleeve to keep things varied (the best being suddenly throwing you outside in one sequence, which is incredibly eerie and hard to navigate via night vision as you can only see a couple ghostly feet in front of you). Plus, it's shorter than Amnesia (only like 4 hours) so it doesn't wear out its welcome.

Anyhow, it's games like this which makes me fear/covet VR. Playing this in a VR helmet would be potentially traumatic, I think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom