Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview RPG Codex Preview: Might & Magic X: Legacy, Now with Act II

Luzur

Good Sir
looks like Narupley chickened out, no reply yet.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
they should extend this invitation to all codexers... hue hue hue
i'm sure with enough metagaming the game can be beaten in/under 15 hours, even with the shitty default party.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Is 15 hours really a problem? It might suggest multiple playthroughs.

Remembering Dragon Age : Origins I wanted to do a 2nd playthrough too, but the tediousness of the game and its boring plot stretching over 50 hours eventually turned me off. Time is too precious for that. Though there are not many games anyways which make you replay it right after the first walkthrough...

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
How good and focused a game's pacing is is far more important than simply hitting a set goal of "X number of hours long".

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
How good and focused a game's pacing is is far more important than simply hitting a set goal of "X number of hours long".

Not necessarily. "Good" is a somewhat subjective quality, and "focused" is not always a positive descriptor—there are such things as expansive open-world games in which the player sets his own pace and chooses when and how to explore and to tackle challenges. Like it or not, when it comes to cRPGs especially, many people expect to be playing long enough to really chew the meat of the game and have plenty of time to digest it before they cross the finish line.

I can't think of a single beloved RPG from any year or on any platform that's less than 10 hours long, sans metagaming (e.g., speed runs in Fallout 2). Even the earlier dungeon crawlers with no story or conversive NPCs will take a minimum of fifteen hours to complete, unless perhaps you already have a map made and know what you're doing... and figuring that out yourself is part of the fun.

Last edited:

Hormalakh

Magister
This article changed my perspective. Well written and allayed many of my fears. Likely the first game purchase I've made in a loooooong time.

Zeriel

Arcane
You fool, what have you done. I was given doritos. The proper course is to maintain your skepticism and hatred until you play the game, then be pleasantly surprised if it remains actually good.

Hormalakh

Magister
Hah! You know, you're right. Everything is shit until proven otherwise. Will remain skeptical, but will at least give it a try now.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So why is this game not available for preorder to those of us who like boxes?

Diggfinger

Arcane
Thanks for this video. Didn't check for updates for a while so my observations might be outdated. I'm impressed, especially with their optimizations regarding movement and speed of combat. This is awesomely fast, and yet all animations are looking nice. Did they change something in the combat system? Originally it seemed every single enemy did its turn in sequence, but now it looks like all enemies do their turn concurrently, or "nearly-concurrently" similar to the old MM parts. Is this observation correct?

Really it looks much faster and enjoyable. Great! This is the type of combat Wiz8 had needed (not even the Wiz8 Speedhack comes close to this). Also with the smooth movement they are much closer to 360° turn based combat. I take my hat off, Limbic has all the potential to create a new MMX or Wizardry.

Im cautiously starting to get excited about this game….hope they release it for mac!

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Excellent preview. Looking forward to this game very much. 2014 looks like the best year for CRPG players since, well don't know really, the 90's something.

warmonger3

Scholar
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Excellent preview. Looking forward to this game very much. 2014 looks like the best year for CRPG players since, well don't know really, the 90's something.

Personally I always thought decline started after the release of Demise in 2000. No point in looking back and complaining anymore on the massive suckage we all lived through. Now we can all die in RPG bliss.:troll:

Great job codexians on guiding the team towards our goal of incline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom