Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry 8 great game ruined by level scaling and respawning

Butcer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Wizardy 8 has great gameplay, the mechanics are good, but so sad what could have been one of the best crpgs all of time is ruined by the worst level scaling i´ve ever seen. Yes the level scaling in fallout 3 and oblivion is even better, the almost insta enemy re spawning combined with the level scaling just ruins the game for me.

What were they thinking? They should have looked at might and magic 6 to see it done right, yes enemies do respawn but only after ALOT of time and no fucking level scaling. Whats the point of leveling up if the enemies always stay just as powerful as you, you dont feel any progression due to it.

The game has such great potential but yes is destroyed by these things.

Gothic 2 notr(finished it last month and its one of the greastest game ive ever played) and mm6 have the perfect level scaling system and are far better games then wizardy 8 because of this

I´ve also never seen a game with such great potential ruined by unnecessary gameplay "features" ,

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, I must say that I was absolutly adoring the game, until I hit Arnika Road and Arnika itself... not even a fucking all-out war explains those armies of bandits roaming the streets, especially with the city NPC acting so unimpressed.

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
On the other hand, once you hit later stages and grow absurdly powerful (so much that you breeze through the Mausoleum and the Rapax Castle) the game loses its luster. At least it did for me, as the fights didn't feel challenging anymore - and I dare say that difficult combat is one of the primary reasonons why Wizardry 8 is such an enjoyable experience.

Level scaling has quite awful connotations, but when it's used to increase the difficulty of the fights and to keep the player constantly on their toes I'm all for it. But it has to be used in conjuction with hand-placed encounters (such was the case in Wizardry 8) and fairly sparingly (I'll concede that there were times when it felt rather overwhelming).

Case in point - those fucking plants.

:x

Just one tip - use Hypnotic Lure spell, quite useful when you want to avoid certain enemies.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Better than F3 where super mutants (knowed in the series as heavy/energy weapon operators) attack players with pity rifles? You gotta be kidding me.
Arnika Road (that work like cold shower for freshmen) it's almost unnoticable compared to powergrow of your team. Sneak and spells could help but what kind of newbies could know that AR could be that dangerous that they shouldn't rush on enemies? No notes, dialogs, tips etc from what I remember. Maybe walkthroughs could tell them but then there will be some tips to deal with this.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Same here after playing the starter dungeon. I would not mind level scaling much - but the respawn ruins it totally for me. Like i killed everything and exploring the rooms - "something creeping around" :negative:

Butcer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
is there a mod that totally removes respawning and level scaling?

DraQ

Arcane
Wizardy 8 has great gameplay, the mechanics are good, but so sad what could have been one of the best crpgs all of time
Yes.

is ruined by
No.
It doesn't help it, but it hardly ruins it.

the worst level scaling i´ve ever seen.
:hahano: Hahano.

It's not even comparable to something like Oblivion.
If Wizardry 8 had Oblivion's level scaling you probably wouldn't even bother collecting *light* *sword*s dropped by every bandit on AR by the end of the game.

Respawns could indeed be toned down a notch or two (I can't imagine even going to an outhouse on Dominus without full party readied for battle), but at least enemies do sort of wander in instead of just reappearing and they move around.

Eyeball

Arcane
X-Ray spell makes all creatures on the land visible on the overland map. Use it to avoid.

Now excuse me, I gotta go back to enjoying Wizardry.

My personal tip for optimum wiz enjoyness: Flamestryke mod. It adds a number of spell regen items which cut Down on resting time and Thus on respawning.

Bonerbill

Augur
I wouldn't mind respawning so much if the battles weren't so freaking long. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind the long battle if there weren't so many respawns. :D Don't get me wrong; I'm still enjoying the game, but this game could have been perfect RPG if it didn't had either of these problems.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Enemies can be seen from afar so especially in arnika road you can avoid them untill you get to a decent level. Uness you are an aspie that has to absolutely fight everything he sees. My only problem with the game was the slow battle animations but with wizfast it's solved. Wiz8 is fucking awesome and if you don't think so, yur a fag.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I agree with the slow battles. But the combat speed is not solved with wizfast.exe, as it has still delays between each turn of an enemy. These small delays make it unbearable over time. The only game I have seen this issue solved is Might Magic X, where you can see that the enemies almost move concurrently which also removes any delays between them (the older MMs too). This is the way to go for turnbased games.

DraQ

Arcane
I agree with the slow battles. But the combat speed is not solved with wizfast.exe, as it has still delays between each turn of an enemy. These small delays make it unbearable over time. The only game I have seen this issue solved is Might Magic X, where you can see that the enemies almost move concurrently which also removes any delays between them (the older MMs too). This is the way to go for turnbased games.
Lack concurrency is obviously bad, because it means that perceived length of turn increases with the number of NPC participants - anyone remember trying to fight in New Reno in FO2?

Uness you are an aspie that has to absolutely fight everything he sees.
Not all aspies do.

Just a hint.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I have such a hard time with Wizardry 8 because it was love at first sight. I really like the game's mechanics. But the more you play, the more the game tries to love you to death, throwing shitty encounter after shitty encounter your way.

So sad. Any mod that could fix the amount of enemies in the game - seems such a simple thing - would turn a flawed gem into a truly great game. Wizardry 8 comes so close.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
It was fun to play years ago, before times of large backlogs and lack of jobs.
Game is fun but after long fight - not that much.

Eyeball

Arcane
I believe you must be confusing the Wiz series with the Might and Magic series, a mildly similar but far inferior series of first-person party-based computer role playing games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom