Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry 8 great game ruined by level scaling and respawning

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
No one wants Wizardry 8 to be easier (hell, the end-game could probably do with the opposite). What Wizardry 8 needs is less fights and faster fights. You yourself brofisted this post:

I have such a hard time with Wizardry 8 because it was love at first sight. I really like the game's mechanics. But the more you play, the more the game tries to love you to death, throwing shitty encounter after shitty encounter your way.

So sad. Any mod that could fix the amount of enemies in the game - seems such a simple thing - would turn a flawed gem into a truly great game. Wizardry 8 comes so close.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I brofisted less respawns. I think the amount of fights is fine, just the respawns that need to be toned down.

I'm still unsure what point you are making. Are you arguing with me just to argue?

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Depends on your play style. If you stay in the same place then yes.

Trying to solve a puzzle when shit respawns every 2 minutes is annoying. Traveling around I don't mind encounters here and there though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I don't think you can avoid fighting with respawned enemies in Wizardry 8, and I think they might be the majority of battles, regardless of your playstyle.

Definetely true for my playthrough which was pretty recent, and I don't think I back-and-forthed that much.

DraQ

Arcane

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
Only while you aren't traveling around.

You also seem to be incapable of grasping the concept that toning down respawns does not mean removing them entirely.

DraQ

Arcane
Only while you aren't traveling around.
Or backtracking.

You also seem to be incapable of grasping the concept that toning down respawns does not mean removing them entirely.
You seem incapable of grasping the concept that less spawns means running into less spawns when backtracking.

Additionally I don't think Wiz 8 differentiates between spawns and respawns, but I'm not knowledgeable of game's inner workings.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
You could still run into enemies while backtracking if respawns were not removed from the game entirely but instead toned down.

Regardless, this discussion loses interest to me because you can't remember what I said two posts ago and continue to selectively take things out of context.

I got some hot bitches to go bang. Should I drive my Ferrari or Lamborghini?

Butcer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The game provides spells, potions, tactics to avoid combat and a mod or two help with respawn rate.

A lot of people seem to overlook running by hold shift so you can move really quickly (away) from approaching baddies.

This probably has to do with the modern gamer mentality of "I'm suppose to be invincible and never run!"

Heroes should be able to lay waste to swarms upon swarms of enemies without ever breaking a sweat.

That, or "This game is hard, I probably need the XP so running away will come back to bite me in the ass later".
i dont find wizardy 8 too hard, for fuck sake i finsihed gothic 2 notr and that one is harder according to the kodex

Butcer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I don't think you can avoid fighting with respawned enemies in Wizardry 8, and I think they might be the majority of battles, regardless of your playstyle.
might and magic 6 is the perfect example on how to handle respawning and level scaling in a blob crpg

corvax

Augur
I first played Wiz 8 about a year after it came out and quit sometime around Trynton. The constant re-spawning made the game more annoying than anything. However, there was something very charming about the game that always made me regret quitting. So finally after 11 years or so I picked it up again. I'm almost at the end, I just met Marten and I am about to get the Astral Dominae from Don Barlone then off to the final battle.

Anyway, being a little wiser and more patient than my younger self I still find the constant combat to be a little overwhelming. The character building is great but at times it feels more like a combat simulator than a game. Does it ruin the game? Not quite but close. I don't quite understand all the RPG machismo praising constant respawning. Oh well.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I'm playing Wiz 8 for the first time right now, and it's very much a love-hate relationship, but I have to say that I don't think I've played a single RPG that's roped me in as much as this one has. The combat system is just damn excellent even if the encounter design isn't up to par. I used to think I preferred games with a solid storyline and roleplaying options, but over time I've come to care much more about gameplay and mechanics. I loved the shit out of Arcanum a few years ago but yesterday I tried starting up a new character and I just couldn't get into it.

The respawning level-scaled trash mobs piss me off too, but I think it gives the game a genuine atmosphere of danger that's missing from most RPGs. I do like that the game kind of forces you to pick your battles this way as opposed to most RPGs which allow (and even expect) the player to clear all the enemies from maps.

Also, MM6 is a great game but its trash mob problem is just as bad as Wiz 8's, and the encounter design arguably even worse. They don't respawn anywhere near as often, sure, but the combat in that game is still excessive and the combat system itself not nearly as elegant. That said, I haven't found a single Wiz 8 dungeon that comes close to the top-tier Might & Magic dungeons.

P.S. I kept hearing about how awful Arnika Road was. My whole party was level 6 by the time I got there and I had no problems with it. Codex is for faggots indeed.

Last edited:
Ya know, I think Wiz 8 is the game that moved me away from the "C&C IS SO IMPORTANT IN RPGS!!!121!!!" mindset into the more combatfag arena. It just shows that, even with the imperfections it has, a well developed combat and character system with a tight design blows away - from an enjoyment perspective - a game focusing on story and palette swapping/C&C.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fuck...
This fucking place
I just reinstalled Wiz8 and just got to Arnika, yeah the mobs and respwans are kind of annoying but the combat system is ok so sweet. As much as I love the IE games and whatever there is nothing like tactical combat in the Wizardry series where you have to constantly be on your toes. I really think the spell casting chances are still a bit too touchy on at the start but there are few games that can have a 20 minute combat where the result of the battle can be still up in the air at the 25th minute
Just awesome
This fucking Codex is not good for me or my productivity :D

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, looking through some of the posts here, I wonder how the hell do some of you manage to get "constant respawns", all the time, right after clearing an area or whatever. It's been a few years since I've played Wiz8 last time, but I clearly remember I'd only stumble upon fresh meat only when revisiting areas, never when backtracking or, I dunno, standing around and doing nothing.

In other words, some of you seem to be full of shit.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm playing Wiz 8 for the first time right now, and it's very much a love-hate relationship, but I have to say that I don't think I've played a single RPG that's roped me in as much as this one has. The combat system is just damn excellent even if the encounter design isn't up to par.

In some ways, I guess Wizardry 8 is the ultimate counter-statement to Infinitron's hypothesis that "content is king." Wizardry 8 gets by mostly on mechanics and systems. Which are, indeed, sweet.

Indeed you are if you can't even ackknowledge such a basic and widely accepted issue.

Jim Cojones said:
Level scaling is such a minor thing in Wizardry you should barely notice it after a while.

Yeah, I agree. The level scaling can be pretty obnoxious in places but it's in no way the core of the issue here. With less trash, the level scaling would obviously be way less noticable, and it becomes a non-issue after a while anyway.

Last edited:

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Level scaling is such a minor thing in Wizardry you should barely notice it after a while. Dealing with sage + modais or with aforementioned diseased rats can be a pain early but that's pretty much it. Nightmares can fuck your party up no matter if they show in a bit stronger or weaker version. Bats and and various insects will become a very insignificant threat after a while even when you meet tougher ones.

Also, looking through some of the posts here, I wonder how the hell do some of you manage to get "constant respawns", all the time, right after clearing an area or whatever. It's been a few years since I've played Wiz8 last time, but I clearly remember I'd only stumble upon fresh meat only when revisiting areas, never when backtracking or, I dunno, standing around and doing nothing.

Enemies do respawn quite often when you're in them which you can observe checking the map with x-ray spell. That said, it's mostly noticeable in wilderness areas that give you plenty of space so you'll most often not even find them if you're not actively searching for them. If you do, it's easy to avoid them by taking another route. The only area where respawning without reentering can actually be annoying is Trynton.

Eyeball

Arcane

By not knowing exactly where to go, randomly exploring or resting too much after blundering into areas that take a lot of resources to complete. The quest log isn't much help most of the time and some running around at random is to be expected, hence extra encounters.

The constant respawn complaint is valid.

TigerKnee

Arcane
In some ways, I guess Wizardry 8 is the ultimate counter-statement to Infinitron's hypothesis that "content is king." Wizardry 8 gets by mostly on mechanics and systems. Which are, indeed, sweet.
Eh, I dunno. For some reason, every time I replay Wiz 8 I feel great joy in redoing the Monastery and Arnika's "puzzles", but the longer the game goes on the less attractive Wiz 8 gets (I usually don't complete my Wiz 8 playthroughs)... I think the later you go, the less interesting the areas become, at least that's how it feels to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom