Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Flame succesor Throne sounds to me as the son of Flann and Gwynnevere...

Last edited by a moderator:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I always report spoilers. It does not bother me, but I know how much it upsets others when a story's plot gets spoiled.

aris

Arcane
Looking at the trailer again the creatures here feel a slight resemblance with both the Demons Souls creatures and the Oolacile dark affected people. Since From seems likely to play the "openended" conclusion to Dark Souls, where becoming the Dark Lord or kinddling the flame only speed up or forstall the Fire from going out these new designs seem more like Dark touched humanoids and creatures rather than outright demons. Also the narrative seems to imply that the undead who go to the norther kingdom go there either seeking a cure for their condition or to somehow just end their existance without hollowing out
My take remains that because of Lordran's completely FUBAR levels of time distortion in Lordran the events of DS are an eternal super-position (they're simultaneously yet to happen, are happening, or have happened in all possible ways while nothing seemingly changes outside the Lordran time distortion "bubble"). Given the fact they're mentioned time hijinks playing a part I'm fairly sure something like this will be the answer.
Are you sure about that? It does have a clear progression of events, the only place I saw where time was clearly distorted was in the DLC.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Looking at the trailer again the creatures here feel a slight resemblance with both the Demons Souls creatures and the Oolacile dark affected people. Since From seems likely to play the "openended" conclusion to Dark Souls, where becoming the Dark Lord or kinddling the flame only speed up or forstall the Fire from going out these new designs seem more like Dark touched humanoids and creatures rather than outright demons. Also the narrative seems to imply that the undead who go to the norther kingdom go there either seeking a cure for their condition or to somehow just end their existance without hollowing out
My take remains that because of Lordran's completely FUBAR levels of time distortion in Lordran the events of DS are an eternal super-position (they're simultaneously yet to happen, are happening, or have happened in all possible ways while nothing seemingly changes outside the Lordran time distortion "bubble"). Given the fact they're mentioned time hijinks playing a part I'm fairly sure something like this will be the answer.
Are you sure about that? It does have a clear progression of events, the only place I saw where time was clearly distorted was in the DLC.
They mention it a couple of times, it's the in-game justification for things like the online component. Also Frampt comments that it took you hundreds of years to gain the Lordvessel.

Kanedias

Savant
"Heavens! You have done it! You have retrieved the Lordvessel!
After a thousand years! It is you, it is really you!"

The way I understood that part of the dialogue is that Farmpt was talking about how after a thousand years of waiting a Chosen Undead capable of retrieving the Lordvessel had finally arrived, not that those thousand years had passed between you talking to him for the first time and the retrieval of the Lordvessel.

The time shenanigans in this game are portrayed as multiple timelines (like parallel worlds) that intersect each other to a certain extent, which is the explanation for online play and probably some of the corpses (the ones that appear when you do something specific, like Beatrice's). Also some of the NPCs. People often forget about it, but for example Lautrec is from another world/timeline, even though he appears in "body form" in the Parish and Firelink. We know this because he takes the Firekeeper soul to his own world after killing Anastacia. Solaire, the one who mentions the time shenanigans for the first time, is also from another world, where he links the fire if you save him from the Sunlight Maggot, according to an interview with Miyazaki. I believe Oswald of Carim must also be from another world, as he magically appears once you ring the Bell. At least, that's the way I understood it.

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Hence why my own idea until potential sequel answers is "what happens in Lordran stays in Lordran."

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Goddamn, those look rough. From REALLY needs to get somebody else to take their screenshots, those hideous things are not doing the game any favors.

Kanedias

Savant
Goddamn, those look rough. From REALLY needs to get somebody else to take their screenshots, those hideous things are not doing the game any favors.

Yeah, I really don't know why they do that, hahaha. They just don't care, I guess. From must be the only company out there that releases screenshots that actually look much worse than the actual game.

Look at these ones from DkS 1:
Soldier.jpg
eAgHT4j.jpg

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane
that cthulhoid rider looks awesome :D

btw, did any weeaboo manage to translate the text on those screens? and is it me, or the textures look a bit lower res than the ones in DkS?

Kanedias

Savant
that cthulhoid rider looks awesome :D

btw, did any weeaboo manage to translate the text on those screens? and is it me, or the textures look a bit lower res than the ones in DkS?

I really don't know if they're of lower quality or not, if you look at those two early DKS screenshots I posted they look even more awful. It's like From makes an effort to make the screenshots look bad.

As for a translation, I found this on reddit:

n order in which they appear:
鍵を持って来い、早くしろ

Bring me the key, quickly,

おおお、赦し給え

Ohoho, please forgive me.

呪いをまとうお方、苦難を求めなさい

O cursed one, seek out hardship.

この地の生まれではない 遠い東の地、山岳を越えてきた

I am not of this land. I ventured over the mountains from the far east.

よ ようこそ、マフミュランの店へ! ぼ、防具はいかがです!?

W, welcome to Mafmuran's shop! H, How about some armour?!

あんたは…どうやら違うものを背負っているみたいだけどねぇ。 ヒヒヒッ

However, it seems like you are burdended with something different. tehehe.

その印、呪いがある限り。ヒェッヒェッ

That mark will stay around so long as you have the curse. Hehe.

Please note, I am not an editor so feel free to take these and make them old timey.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
The game doesn't have bad graphics really, From just sucks at taking screenshots. They're much too zoomed in on everything with awkward camera angles and don't really show much of the environment. The screens taken from the actual in-game perspective look A LOT better, like the cave pic above.

Kanedias

Savant
https://twitter.com/EpicNameBro

So Marcus was actually working on Dark Souls 2's strategy guide, and he has played the game. He says he enjoyed it "much more" than the first one. This makes me very excited, and while less optimistic people can say that he only says that because he was hired to work on said strategy guide, it's nevertheless a good sign that the game is more or less done, it means they have 2 months of polish to avoid disasters like Lost Izalith.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
If it's at least as good as Demon's/Dark Souls then I'm sure everything will be fine.

Kanedias

Savant
"Any atmospheric portion that comes close to the Tower of Latria? If you don't mind me asking."

"Yes"

:desu:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom