Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If I haven't missed anything...

The tally:
ERYFKRAD B2
Kipeci B1
Anabanana A2>B1
Nevill B1
XenomorphII B2
Kashmir Slippers B2>B1
Baltika9 B2
Azira B1
Jester B2>A2
ScubaV B2>B1
SirArvedeth B1
Elfberserker B1>B2
Lambchop19 B1>B2>A1
Zero Credibility B1>B2
Rex Feral B1>B2>A2
Fangshi B2>B1
asxetos B1 > B2
Tigranes B2
Absinthe B1
Esquilax B1
RealDDc B2
Grimgravy B1
Smashing Axe A1>B1>B2>A2
kazgar B2
MystiKnight B1
Ganymede A2
profreshinal A1>B2
Nim B2
GreyViper B2
TOME B1>A2

A1 - 2 (0)
A2 - 2 (1)
B1 - 14 (16)
B2 - 12 (13)
Baltika9 said:
Plus, alone time with Qilin, about time Jing got over his issues, maybe reverting to the natural order of man-provider, woman-nourisher will be enough for him.
If a month together in a closed space with a girl he obviously cares about and in a dire situation where it is impossible to know whether or not they will make out of here alive does not do it, I don't know what will.

Last edited:

Anabanana

Augur
I'll put in a conditional vote for A2 > B1.

By the way there's a wuxia RPG rulebook based off the Fate Core system called Tianxia, if anybody here's interested in getting in more wuxia action.

Kipeci

Arcane
Oh no! Shouldn't we have learned our lessons from rift-jumping without starting back up into rivers? At best we're going to be stuck out in the middle of nowhere for a while... I hope some people are amenable to flopping.

Wait, jumping in the river is actually tied with B1? We have no knowledge on what, if anything is on the other side and once we start we can't go back either. It is perfectly possible that there is no air for the next kilometre or ten kilometres. It's pure gamble - how long can we hold our breath? Sure, jump in if the alternative is certain death - like, if the maniac is after us and the river is our only chance. But why would anyone jump in the river as a first choice before every other reasonable option has been exausted? We know there must be a way out, shouldn't we concentrate our efforts on finding it before gambling with our lives like that? Maybe someone will even send help. Hell, even climbing back up the hole with our abilities and what gear we have sounds much more reasonable to me than blindly diving into an underground stream without knowing if there is any air to breathe down there.

Nevill

Arcane
Can we apply this snake technology to make a propeller out of Xiaoqing? You know, to swim faster?
235253_v1.gif

Kipeci

Arcane
Wait, jumping in the river is actually tied with B1? We have no knowledge on what, if anything is on the other side and once we start we can't go back either. It is perfectly possible that there is no air for the next kilometre or ten kilometres. It's pure gamble - how long can we hold our breath? Sure, jump in if the alternative is certain death - like, if the maniac is after us and the river is our only chance. But why would anyone jump in the river as a first choice before every other reasonable option has been exausted? We know there must be a way out, shouldn't we concentrate our efforts on finding it before gambling with our lives like that? Maybe someone will even send help. Hell, even climbing back up the hole with our abilities and what gear we have sounds much more reasonable to me than blindly diving into an underground stream without knowing if there is any air to breathe down there.
Zero Credibility , jumping in the river is NOT tied with B1. We might fish there, but that's the extent of it. B2 is the danger.

Nevill

Arcane
It is 13 vs 13 now - a tie. That's what he meant. One more vote, and we jump into the rift river.

Kipeci

Arcane
While it'll horribly delay if not outright kill us/damage Jing's brain from lack of air/make us lose stuff like the alternate universe where we jumped into a river/etc., I guess the tears of B2 voters will have to do when we don't happen to pop out right at the grounds of the fire tournament.

Nevill

Arcane
Unable to reconcile the greed and cold practicality of the bride's family with the groom's selfless heroics, the pair commits double suicide by drowning in a river while embracing each other.

Makes for a good story. :cry:

Kipeci

Arcane
XenomorphII
Kashmir Slippers
Jester
ScubaV
SirArvedeth
Tigranes
Esquilax
RealDDc
kazgar
profreshinal
Nim

Would any of you be willing to reconsider your vote/priority for B2 and instead vote for the option that doesn't involve flinging Jing into an uncharted subterranean river? With B1, we can study up on Yang Xue's blood poetry while spending some quality time with a not drowned Chi Qilin, and not drown terribly ourselves/lose our brain cells/lose the sword again/improbably make our way through to exit in the middle of a wasteland or ocean or something. Please reconsider!

Rex Feral

Prophet
Since treave hasn't given us much information to work on I guess the choice outcomes are balanced rather than ranging from Heroic Victory to Critical Failure

My guess is that whatever we choose we lose something out.

A seems to give power but with a sacrfice, either our arm and the Fire tournament with A2 or Qilin with A1.

B would be forfeiting power for getting out of here. Maybe B2 is getting out sooner, but Qilin might not make it, while B1 is missing the fire cult challenge but getting out of here with Qilin after we get rescued/find a way out.

Since I don't care that much about power or that stupid tournament, I'm still staying B1>B2.

Nevill

Arcane
Rex Feral said:
Since treave hasn't given us much information to work on I guess the choice outcomes are balanced rather than ranging from Heroic Victory to Critical Failure
We've had our Heroic Victory when we kidnapped the Emperor. Now we are choosing the drawbacks. It is either our arm, Qilin's arm, time, or "let's jump in the river and hopefully avoid it all".

I consider the facts that the river is completely unknown to us and that nobody ever came out of this dungeon after the secret police was done with them enough of a clue to not attempt this.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Come to think of it why don't we just try to climb back the way we fell in? It doesn't sound like it would be more than 50 meters, and I managed climb that height without being a talented pugilist. Sure, we have no equipment, but the slope didn't seem to be that steep.

Nevill

Arcane
Re: climbing up, no chance of that succeeding.
Can we ask Qilin to poison us, turn into a toad, and leap upwards? Qilin can strap herself to our back.

Come to think of it, toads are water creatures. They can hold their breath for a looong time. We'll just have to give Qilin a good mouth to mouth later. She is cool with toads, she wouldn't mind.

...I've got another freeform thing to try out! Who is with me?

Rex Feral

Prophet
Invisible barriers abound.

Seemed to me like a safer bet than jumping into the stream. At least we knew about the slope that:

1) It is a way out.
2) It can't be more than 25-50 meters, since we fell without hurting ourselves and Qilin fell while injured without dying.
3) It can't be that steep since Qilin managed to hit something on her way down (not sure about this one).

But if you say it's a no go I guess we can't argue here. Maybe the tunnel toward there collapsed.

Seemed to me like a safer bet than jumping into the stream.
Same for me. Sure, it may very well be insanely risky to climb, but at least we know that is a way out. The stream is even more insanely riskier and we don't even know it is way out or just another dead end, one from which we can't even return. The most persuasive argument I can think of for B2 not ending that way would be "this is a CYOA, treave probably wouldn't do something like that", and I don't think that is a very good argument.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Invisible barriers abound.

Seemed to me like a safer bet than jumping into the stream. At least we knew about the slope that:

1) It is a way out.
2) It can't be more than 25-50 meters, since we fell without hurting ourselves and Qilin fell while injured without dying.
3) It can't be that steep since Qilin managed to hit something on her way down (not sure about this one).

But if you say it's a no go I guess we can't argue here. Maybe the tunnel toward there collapsed.

Pretty sure you can hit your head on the side of a vertical wall or any rocks sticking out on your way down and still get injured.

That aside, the tunnels above have collapsed, as mentioned in the update. It was not just holes in the ground. Unless you're hoping a rescue team has dug through the cave-in in that area, in which case they'd let down a rope and come looking for you, climbing back to where you came in is futile even if you could manage to climb up a chasm by strapping a torch to your hand to light your way and hoping it doesn't go out to leave you stranded in the middle of your climb.

Nevill

Arcane
If you chain two people together and throw them in a cell for a month, chances are, they will either know everything there is to know about their partner, hate them guts, or both.

Qiling never told us anything about herself and her family. I understand that most of it are trade secrets, but still...

Here's hoping we will learn more about her. The story of her mother intrigues me in particular. It may be that it is a deeply personal matter, but after several weeks spent together, if she could ever tell anyone about it, that would be Jing.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom