Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

RealDDc

Learned
treave I've got a question. Do skill choices also have a minor effect on the storyline?

Say if we had picked trap skills near the beginning, would we have ran into more situations where we could have potentially made use of it? I'd really like to spread the skillset some more, but so far we mostely ran into problems Jing would try to solve by force or trickery. Is it because that's Jings nature, or because of the skill choices?

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Our new neiggong vampirism works only with physical contact, as Esquilax pointed out, so that's a point against spears and swords.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, but we can already do that with the silk skill, as showed against Yang Xue. So why vote for it if we have that ability? We don't even know if the Orthodox would consider that cheating and call for a rematch if we did that.
The same reason we improve all of our techniques - to be able to do more, and be more successful with it, of course.

And if unorthodox fighters can become Great Pugilists, that means that certain unorthodox techniques are accepted if they are not outright underhanded, like poisoning. Or that there is no one willing to ask for a rematch.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Oh well it could have gone worse. At least we had some quality time with Qilin.

First choice B - since this seems to be his signature move we really can't learn from somewhere else. The bat claws are risky for us, too, and the kicking technique we can develop on our own, but I doubt we can ever have the chance to learn his spear technique (though at the rate we are escaping I think we'll learn all of them and even perfect them)

Second choice I'll go with IV and V - I prefer maxing out combat techniques and then concern myself with other skills.

As for the last choice - this really isn't the best place for having sex. With our 1 luck, Yang Xue is gonna come and demonstrate his "Unparalleled Manly Conqueror’s Spear" for free on both of us :troll:
But I'm still a man so A.

B - IV - V - A

Fangshi

Arcane
TOME said:
Our new neiggong vampirism works only with physical contact, as Esquilax pointed out, so that's a point against spears and swords.

But treave also said it won't work if our enemy is too powerful or we are too weak, it might be worthwhile to have more mundane tools (sword/spear) for situations where we can not easily suck qi out of our enemies. At the very least we can use weapons to wear them down and then move in to drain them. Also I wonder if it would be possible to channel the effect through our weapon given practice, if some warriors can channel their qi into their weapons perhaps we can learn to draw the qi of others out through ours.

Esquilax

Arcane

Not particularly. The Yuchang Sword is a short blade, and it might not even be that difficult to simply grapple onto someone with our free hand with the Diving Eagle Grip. As for spears, you can thrust the spear to back up your opponent, then charge in while they're flat-footed. Plenty of ways of using techniques in conjunctions for a guy with great instincts like Jing.

The real issue I have with the spear technique is the level of time we'd have to invest in making ourselves effective at it. Yeah, our Reikan technique might help us get over the skill cap (eventually, if we master it further), but it also means that we'd have to forgo another technique that we could be learning, and we'd probably have to make the choice of whether to focus on Spears with Yang Xue's godly technique and neglect swords despite the fact that we have the Yuchang Sword. My point is, the technique is amazing, but it would require a lot of investment to get us to the point where we become a really good spear user.

First, we need a way to break the skill cap - which is not too bad, there are probably ways to improve our PER further with Reikan. Second, we need to invest time in getting actually decent at using a spear - assuming that the technique gives us a +4 skill boost for Spears, that still makes us a worse spearman than we are a swordsman. Yeah, the technique is incredible, but there's a huge difference between an incredible Spear 10 Yang Xue using his signature technique and a Spear 4 Xu Jing using the same technique but with far less fluidity, timing and grace.

Rex Feral

Prophet
If you make a mistake now, there will be no going back…

A. You make a mistake, consequences be damned. You'll just have to take responsibility and face down whatever difficulties that come next as a man should.

B. You don’t make a mistake. Given the rather volatile nature of your life, you think it would be better for her if you kept her at arm’s length in the long run. Getting too close to you will not bode well for her.

I guess I'm going paranoid, but this might be a hidden message from treave stating that whatever comes next, we won't get a rollback.

Given the rather volatile nature of your life

Our Luck 1 ?

Getting too close to you will not bode well for her.

I don't like how this sounds. Maybe I spent too much time with you guys.

Kipeci

Arcane
Well, there's more to combat than pure, raw skill. There's trickery, feints and deception too. If say, you're able to fire some web in BJ's eyes when you dodge one of his slashes, it's going to be really effective. Likewise, it seems like a great ranged attack to have in our arsenal since we're primarily a close-ranged fighter and our neigong only works when we have physical contact with the opponent. If we had a qi blast of some sort, then maybe we'd have a more viable ranged attack, so we need to look at other alternatives here.

I don't think it'd be too effective, he's see us bringing up something to throw and he's really fast with great perception. This stuff isn't Spiderman brand silk, it's not going to stick-- he'll be right slashing away at us while pissed off a moment later, at which time we can regret not picking up sword/unarmed skill in favor of a bonus for silk and pick-pocketing. At least we might be able to take his golden fox leaves to heal us after our defeat so that we can be whole before Zhang Jue tears our heart out.

As for ranged attacks, we have one; it's called going really fast towards our opponent before caving their skulls in with a kick. I'm not sure why you think we should need a ranged attack-- our qi actually makes us last longer only when in physical contact with a foe, so it seems to me that we should be beating on them in close range rather than flinging silk at them from a distance.

For all our skill in unarmed, even Xu Jing recognized during a number of tournament fights that he wouldn't be able to win against sword-wielding opponents and would thus need to pick up his blade. Our gradual neigong sapping won't help us much if the other guy can just slice our tendons. We're going to have to fight with the sword again, I just want us to be better when we have to so that our performances with the blade don't go as embarrassingly as they tended to during the tournament.
The same reason we improve all of our techniques - to be able to do more, and be more successful with it, of course.

That's a great sentiment, but on the eave of the Orthodox challenge I really think that we'll get more benefit out of a point in sword combat than we would get out even seven stats in drinking. We should try to make our stats match up with our goals, and Xu Jing is fighting all the time even without considering the huge number of challenges we'll be putting forth in the near future. Even if we were granted nine points in drinking as one of the options I'd still go with this-- while identifying traps and setting them would a fantastic skill to have, I don't think that Jing really encounters them regularly enough to justify passing up on his pugilistic skills right now.
And if unorthodox fighters can become Great Pugilists, that means that certain unorthodox techniques are accepted if they are not outright underhanded, like poisoning. Or that there is no one willing to ask for a rematch.

Tearing someone's arm off with a cruel technique is highly unorthodox, yet it's still obviously martial arts. Tying them up with strong as steel silk so that they can't move incapacitates them is also unorthodox, sure, but I don't think it really says anything about the strength of one's kung-fu. The Orthodox schools are willing to accept the former as fighting even with a style that they don't agree with, I think the latter is quite another thing.

RealDDc

Learned
I guess I'm going paranoid, but this might be a hidden message from treave stating that whatever comes next, we won't get a rollback.
That is no hidden message, it is one of those you can't resist to pick me even knowing it'll break your neck options.

Oh and 2B -> 2A
(no one can say I didn't try my best to avoid the mistake)

Last edited:
By the way, I assume this means if we had taken Cao'er with us this would be a menage-a-trois

I am confirming this.
:rage: indeed.

Anyway, voting:

C > A
- raining claws from above sounds good to me. I don't care about the spear technique because well, we have no spear skill and the skill cap for it is low anyway.
II - a silk technique that can be used in combat and also makes it easier to use laxatives! option in the future. Sounds perfect.
IV > V - it might actually be a better idea to concentrate on our stronger combat skill, but I can't help it - I like swords.
A - even though I don't like that foreshadowing in the choice, she is an adult and if she wants this...

Kipeci

Arcane
a silk technique that can be used in combat
Specifically, what are you aiming to do with the silk with a better sleight-of-hand? We can already bind it tightly to increase our defense or offense and tie up people, do we really need to work on the little things like being able to deflect needles with it when that takes away from either our sword or unarmed combat skills? I like laxatives and silk stuff, but this needs to be specifically make up for one of those skills being depressed. If it doesn't measure up to that in a combat sense, we shouldn't take it.

Well, "you learn better ways of feinting and capturing your target directly" pretty much says it. If we already have the spider silk technique (not my choice), we might as well have some skills on how to use it to its full potential. Plus this skill is always useful out of combat as well. Traps could be a good choice as well, but I do want to vote for one combat skill.

profreshinal

Arcane
If we can deflect needles other stuff like swords might also be in the cards.

If we can pick up some dancing later we can do some seven veil or ribbon dancing.

Personal goal: make Jing a famous dancer.

Nevill

Arcane
Kipeci said:
Tying them up with strong as steel silk so that they can't move incapacitates them is also unorthodox, sure, but I don't think it really says anything about the strength of one's kung-fu.
It says enough about their kung fu being too weak to avoid being binded by some threads. It says enough.

Kipeci

Arcane
It says enough about their kung fu being too weak to avoid being binded by some threads. It says enough.

I don't think it does, we were able to tie up Yang Xue and if not for him being ridiculous and able to bust open a steel thread (say, if he'd been limited to absurd neigong and spear moves along with swift kicks instead of also having broken strength) he'd have been caught. That doesn't mean that we could beat him up in a straight fight. If anyone at any school that we fight thinks that we wouldn't be able to take on their fighter if we fought fairer, then we have to do it again since it's specifically about proving our martial arts skills rather than our silk tying skills. By that point, we don't have the silk skills in addition to not having the other skill we could've picked up here, most probably in a situation where we're up against one of our stronger opponents.

I'd rather that we be as capable as possible about beating them in a straight fight rather than try our luck with semi-cheating borderline of the rules stuff and then be forced into a straight fight while weaker.

As for deflecting swords with our silk, that sounds like an excellent way to lose fingers. I'd prefer blocking the sword with our own and then punching the shit out of the swordsman.

ScubaV

Prophet
A - We really need to master stuff, not become a jack of all trades. I see very little benefit to learning spears when our forte is close combat (especially with vampiric neigong), we have ranged capabilities with the silk, and learning spears now is going give us a shitty 3 or 4 skill which will only serve to function as a sunk cost, tempting us to sacrifice mastery with unarmed or swords in order to boost it further in later choices.

II, V - Boosting unarmed should be a no brainer. It's our best skill and opportunities to raise it are few and far between at these levels. I'll go with sleight of hand for the other, narrowly beating out swords. It has uses in and out of combat and we could use the boost to our silk skill for ranged and defensive benefits.

A - Time to lock in our first harem member. If we produce an heir, that's even a bonus as we will have someone to continue Xu Jing's legacy after we get him killed.

SirArvedeth

Novice
A - We are not actually sure if we will have opportunity to master our Wuying Leipo Kick outside of the cave. And as far as I can see, it's pointless to know the basics of some skill which we can't really use effectively later on. IF it'd turn out that we are going to spend more time with Yang-bro, then we might pick up other skills (like B) - but for now, I'm for mastering one first.

II - Obviously for expertise with spider-silk. I think it's awesome skill we should focus on. Fuck the traps.

V - We are already quite skilled in unarmed fighting, and our swordmanship is lacking. However, mastering unarmed is a must, since it's our speciality. We didn't have that many chances to improve our unarmed fighting, so I'd go with it.

A - since I'm a big fan of Rance, I have to follow his principles.:smug:

Kipeci

Arcane
It has uses in and out of combat and we could use the boost to our silk skill for ranged and defensive benefits.
We already have the defensive benefits, any ranged use of silk that I've seen amounts to 'let's throw it at people's eyes!' which doesn't inspire much hope. It's not stick spiderman web, people. As for the sword stuff, we're going to be extensively using that during the challenge and we did crappily enough with the sword the last time without even factoring in how those folks have been training since then.

We almost tried catching the sword with our fingers back at the tournament. It would have succeeded, too.
The swords at the tournament were blunt. I'm not sure which seen you're talking about, but I'd really rather not try with the real deal in favor of using our fantastic legendary sword to block that stuff properly.

ScubaV

Prophet
It has uses in and out of combat and we could use the boost to our silk skill for ranged and defensive benefits.
We already have the defensive benefits, any ranged use of silk that I've seen amounts to 'let's throw it at people's eyes!' which doesn't inspire much hope. It's not stick spiderman web, people. As for the sword stuff, we're going to be extensively using that during the challenge and we did crappily enough with the sword the last time without even factoring in how those folks have been training since then.

I trust treave can think of more and better ways to use the silk if we increase our skill. We definitely have not unlocked all of its benefits.

Tribute

Arbiter
Yang Xue totally gonna eat both of us while we do it
We may still be in horror movie mode here, yes, in which case having sex would be a really bad idea.

Let alone getting Qilin pregnant down here.

On the other hand, refusing sex may not make much sense for Harem Ending. On the other other hand, that whole "take responsibility" part might lock us into one-wife route.

Tribute

Arbiter
So, what your telling me is that with this technique, which carries the opportunity cost of perfecting our Wuying Kick, will net us an amazing technique that is totally awesome... and give us a level of skills that will still make us worse with a spear than we are with a sword. It isn't just about what you get, it's also about what you have to give up in return.
I imagine the question is whether or not we can perfect the spear tech later, after we get out of here. We're definitely not going to master it yet.

Being able to freely swap from sword to spear to unarmed to steelsilk might work well as a fighting style, though. Nobody can predict what we'll do in a fight, and being disarmed of one weapon isn't really a problem.

Nevill

Arcane
The swords at the tournament were blunt. I'm not sure which seen you're talking about, but I'd really rather not try with the real deal in favor of using our fantastic legendary sword to block that stuff properly.
The match with Yiling. We could have lost our fingers with the real sword if we failed, but it would have been safe if it succeeded. And I am pretty sure it would have.

Tribute said:
Let alone getting Qilin pregnant down here.
You think we'll be spending nine more months here? Why does it make a difference where we make anyone pregnant?

Tribute said:
I imagine the question is whether or not we can perfect the spear tech later, after we get out of here.
Not before the challenge timer is up, I am afraid. We really should be thinking in terms of half a year we have left.

Tribute said:
On the other other hand, that whole "take responsibility" part might lock us into one-wife route.
Two-wives route. At the very least.
“Well then, good. Anyway, I am not averse to sharing, you know. I don’t mind being second or even third.”
Besides you, you hear Cao’er murmur quietly, slightly sulkily, “…Jing is a lecher… but it’s okay. I don’t mind being second… or third.”

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
I read the section you linked to, Nevill but I don't see what you were talking about. We jumped on a sword and grabbed at her while she was attempting to draw our sword from its hilt, neither seems like it really fits what you were saying.

I trust treave can think of more and better ways to use the silk if we increase our skill. We definitely have not unlocked all of its benefits.

We haven't, but we haven't unlocked all the benefits of trap knowledge or drinking, either. Should we at some time? Sure. But in the face of the challenge that we need to step on right after getting out of here, I don't think it's proper to leave the situation up to "maybe treave can throw in some extra unknown goodies for us" instead of keeping up with our kinda bad sword skills so that we don't get outmatched at swordplay. With a skill of six in sword, we'd be as good with it as we are in unarmed combat right now, which would make a world of a difference from slightly better than the average sword-wielder when fighting the heavy hitters of the pugilistic world. Being able to throw around some amounts of silk just doesn't seem like it matches up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom