Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Mobile games are the worst cesspool ever conceived in the electronic entertainment industry

Unwanted

Sycophantic Noob

Andhaira
Andhaira
And I am seriously baffled how can anyone treat this area of gaming seriously or think that this is what the future of gaming looks like.

The most ambitious phone/tablet games are ports of old PC or console games, with simplified gameplay because touchscreens were not designed for gaming of any sort so anything more difficult than dragging an icon across the screen is a fucking tedious chore. Games that were designed exclusively for mobile devices are about as complex as a shape-matching game for 3 year old children with severe learning disabilities. If you look at the top selling games on Google Play or Apple's appstore, you'll notice only shit like Angry Birds which cannot entertain anyone with more than a handful of brain cells for more than three seconds. Gameplay consisting of clicking on icons or drawing lines with your finger can only offer so much.

And the worst part is that it's riddled with useless clones and other 'apps' that try to cash in on popularity of the flavour of the month - I'm talking about 'minecraft cheats app', 'floppy bird fan app', 'annoyed avians wallpaper' etc; the only purpose of those is displaying advertisement banners to disinterested people who download this accidentally and install a bunch of spyware, toolbars, adware and so on.

Take a look at this: http://www.reskinningapps.com/ . Here we have a dude that claims to create 60 'reskins' per month; that's 2 a day for the slower codexians. This practice basically consists of changing textures in a game and selling it as a new product to gullible idiots. Apparently this is a profitable business, since this is so widespread on app markets.

Now I'm aware that most of you probably knew about this stuff anyway, but I wanted to vent off some rage and it's always good to have a thread where we can all complain about something.

spectre

Arcane
All this has happened before, and all this will happen again. Let the bitter bile flow.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
It's a fairly new market, who's buyers are looking for something short and non-committal that they can play on the train to work or during their kid's fifth grade production of hansel and gretel, which has virtually no quality control, and a selling model which even makes mobile-centric developers admit that actually selling a quality product is next-to-impossible unless you stumble on to the next Angry Birds. Of course it's shit.

I'd hate it less if it weren't for the fact that they are basically the fucking vultures of the game industry. That shit with the Candy Crush people copyrighting 'Saga', and Stoic not being able to do shit about it because King could basically just suck them dry if they tried? Look forward to it happening more in the near future.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I remember the first time I played angry birds. I played for exactly 2 minutes and then lost interest.

Felix

Arcane
You know what can work well on touch screen? turn based RPG! especially S-RPG.

Oarfish

Prophet
There's a small amount of incline on mobile as long as you don't look at the charts.

Sorcery 2 is a great gamebook adaption. Stuffed with C&C and has a decent difficulty level.

Shenandoah are trying to make pretty serious wargames for the iPad, making the pretty reasonable assumption that touch interfaces are the future of the genre. Warhammer Quest is a solid crawler. Plenty of good boardgame adaptions.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Is there any place or someone in the internet who find gems on this junkyard called mobile games market?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
That's what I'm talking about.
Some decent stuff about mobile, finally.
Tried to find by myself but all source or points to start looking were fully casual.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Idiots will have the games they deserve. So long as they keep putting money on this sort of crap, this "industry" will flourish.

By retards for retards.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
There's really no reason to feel threatened by mobile games. It's practically an entirely different industry than the mainstream video game industry, and it appeals to an entirely different market. I doubt mobile games are even directly competing with handheld consoles, much less core PC and console games.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Idiots will have the games they deserve. So long as they keep putting money on this sort of crap, this "industry" will flourish.

By retards for retards.

I would argue that the devs/pubs taking advantage of casuls are not retarded since they are being smart in their money making exploits.

Sociopaths? Perhaps.
Stupid? Retarded? Moronic? No.

By smart sociopaths for retards.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's the future of disposable entertainment while waiting in the doctor's office. Mobile gaming is basically the new Cosmo.

CrazyDiamond

Novice
The thing with mobile games is that it has a completely different kind of public than consoles. Consoles are for games you want to spend time on, mobile games stuff to pass time while on the bank line. Touchscreen control can actually work in some genres if you actually work on it instead of slapping a shitty controller on the screen, but most of times it's not even worth the effort.

An RPG for instance. Character walks around following your finger, you touch an NPC or item to interact with it, and uses and Mario & Luigi-esque menu. Fits perfectly, there are even ways you can improve it. The thing is: when has an RPG sold well on a mobile platform?

The public wants cheap games with literally no skill involved. Just look at shit like Flappy Bird, dude put together a game in 2 hours using Mario World sprites and made 50 million in a day. People who claimed it was hard had probably never touched an actual game before.

They just want to pass a couple minutes when bored, not invest in a game that required a lot of work to be made, takes time to be completed and costs actual money. People who think mobile is taking over handhelds and home consoles are fucking delusional.

I think I'll drop out of college and go full-time mobile developer. Try a few times till I get a hit like Flappy/Angry/whatever Birds and use the money to make the games I've always wanted.

Destroid

Arcane
9th Dawn is and RPG doing ok on mobile, and recently got greenlighted on steam. It's no hit, but it's also the developers first game.

Are you a fan of oldschool RPGs like Ultima, but crave the openness and exploration in modern games? If so, we at Valorware are dedicated to giving you just that! We are proud to present 9th Dawn, a game that's a blend of modern and traditional design and gameplay and sports the largest open world experience available today in a mobile RPG!

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I think mobile RPG's can flourish provided the games are designed for mobile, taking into consideration the strengths of the platform itself. Most of the successful games have been for casuals, but I wonder if it's just that a touchscreen without a real keyboard won't support what we expect from a robust rpg. I have played a few on C64 emulator for Android and they played pretty damn well. They were designed for simple joystick input and one button. Most games for emulators want 27 buttons and a directional joystick - sucks on touchscreen.

Once someone designs an rpg from the ground up that isn't some twitchfest but a real turn based rpg for tablets, we'll all be a lot better off and it will greatly expand my productivity while I am going to the bathroom.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A first person blobber should map perfectly well to a mobile interface, but no one is interested*.

*I think there are a few for iProducts, but nothing good for android.

DakaSha

Arcane
New and want brofists on codex? Cry about mobile games, EA, Bioware etc. Instant bro

Most mobile games are shit as are most pc games. Your post is generic and boring and contributes nothing. Kill yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom