Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Watch GOTY 2013

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Well of course System Shock is an RPG.

You play a role in a game ergo role playing game.

Lhynn

Arcane
twicher and mass effect are rpgs.
No where does it say that player skill cannot be a factor in a rpg.

Lhynn

Arcane
mass effect 1 is rpg with a tps mechanic, me2 and 3 are shooters with rpg elements.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
No, Mass Effect 1 is already a shooter with RPG mechanics. ME2 and 3 are TPS with TPS mechanics.

Lhynn

Arcane
Not really, the rpg side of things has an overwhelming importance in how well you do and totally overrides player skill, from weapon handling to endurance and available skills. Its an RPG you faggot.

PS: delete if double post.

Drew

Savant
Shit on an empty stomach tastes pretty good.
That's how.

pure RPG goodness :
I don't think there's anyone deluded enough to call it a pure RPG, but the components are heavy enough, at least in the first game, to call it a hybrid, rather than just a TPS with RPG elements.

sser

Arcane
Developer
If you're gonna make a list like that I'd have to vote for...

Payday 2

Lhynn

Arcane
Hahah look at that pure RPG goodness :
Now try to do the same with any weapon you havent put points into you massive faggot. You like it or not, it is, in fact, an rpg.
Me or you not liking it doesnt change the fact that it is one by definition.

Drew we already have hybrids, they are called ARPG, games like dark souls. Mass effect is a pure RPG that strays from the formula while keeping it inside the boundaries of the genre. You have stats that you control, varied itemization that you also have control off, even advanced classes, you can select your stance in multiple issues and overall be the character you want to be.
Character builds completely override player skill and the game presents us with some meaningful C&C (at least it was meaningful within the game, even if it meant shit in the trilogy as a whole).
All in all its not a bad game, juvenile writing and shit gameplay yes, but too many RPGs are guilty of the same.

And im not neither a bioware apologist or a mass effect fan, im just tired of unfair judgment by the same old fags that hate bioware because of bioware, or the newfags that hate on bioware because its the cool thing to do, while they probably played all their games at least twice.

Snozgobler

Educated
You can largely faceroll ME by pointing your gun vaguely in the direction of the enemies and/or telling your squad to do the same. Also, if RPG's include pointless shitty side quests to gather resources to craft better shit, then the MAKO is your man/car/buggy thing.

Rake

Arcane
Hahah look at that pure RPG goodness :
Now try to do the same with any weapon you havent put points into you massive faggot. You like it or not, it is, in fact, an rpg.
Me or you not liking it doesnt change the fact that it is one by definition.

Drew we already have hybrids, they are called ARPG, games like dark souls. Mass effect is a pure RPG that strays from the formula while keeping it inside the boundaries of the genre.
No, it's a hybrid. Like Deus Ex and even Bloodlines and Alpha Protocol are hybrids. Deal with it.

Ravel myluv

Learned
I'm curious to hear why ME1 would be more of a RPG than ME2 or ME3....

I'm genuinely wondering, I don't have much memories from ME1.
Are ME2 and ME3 not called RPGs because the combat doesn't feel as shit as ME1?:smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom