Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Top 50 cRPGs - Results and Reviews

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Thanks, now I can't blame anyone else for the delay. :salute:

This free2play adventure RPG
I'm changing this to "freely available", ok? Free2Play has too many negative connotations nowadays.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I thought "Free2Play" was the Web 2.0 term for "freeware", but you can change it to anything you want.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is one of those situations where I can't tell if Bubbles is just trolling or serious.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It is done!

excited.gif

This took way longer than I expected, but I did it The Right Way™. All 288 sharp high-res screenshots, showcasing the gameplay & UI, dialogs all in english (usually with choices), clean game boxes and everything I could to make this great. Because no fucking way I'm ever doing this again.

Thank the lord for LP Archive, cRPG Addict, DJ Old Games, HD youtube and the Codex own LPers... part of me died when I waddled through 200 images of "funny" bugs and sex cards on Steam just to find one goddamn screenshot of The Witcher 1 combat.

Now, I'll upload them, and it's off my hands. :D

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Alright I feel stupid but....where did you post these banners and reviews?

They take a few days to put them up. I finished my recent Paper Sorcerer review about a week ago, and the staff worked on it for that long before it was published on the front page. This project is a lot more involved, with a lot more pictures and text, and so I would guess it will take a bit before we see it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Alright I feel stupid but....where did you post these banners and reviews?

They take a few days to put them up. I finished my recent Paper Sorcerer review about a week ago, and the staff worked on it for that long before it was published on the front page. This project is a lot more involved, with a lot more pictures and text, and so I would guess it will take a bit before we see it.

...and Felipe is doing it all on his lonesome because he's awesome like that :)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Working with video I get A LOT of down time waiting for renders... some videos take like 2 hours to render. Not to mention that I'm a freelancer, I don't work everyday.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
felipepepe I knew this guy was reading the Codex! http://extralives.wordpress.com/2014/02/24/rpg-codexs-mega-list-of-top-50-reasons-for-incline/

RPG CODEX’S MEGA LIST OF TOP 50 REASONS FOR INCLINE
February 24, 2014 · by Reggie C. · in On Gaming. ·

…or their Top 50 cRPGs as voted on this year. I’m very surprised to see that I’ve played all of the top ten noted on the list and had a lot of fun with them, especially the Fallouts. Gothic 2 was also a lot of great fun and I still have fond (and frustrating) memories on confronting Demogorgon in Shadows of Amn’s Throne of Bhaal expansion. The packaging for most of those are still around here somewhere, too, including Arcanum’s fantastic manual which hearkens back to a day when retail packaging gave a damn on presentation.

It’s a massive, massive list covering nearly more than 30 years of RPG goodness on PCs with some surprising results (the oldest game on the list was Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar which came out in ’85). Interestingly, neither TES: Oblivion or TES: Skyrim made the list…period…while others such as Dark Souls (at #14) and KOTOR II (at #19) did. The horrendously buggy (but apparently very solid once those are worked through) Temple of Elemental Evil actually made the list at #21 along with Alpha Protocol at #29.

Dragon Age: Origins made the list at #33 edging out Ultima VII at #34. It was also nice to see a number of Gold Box AD&D titles from SSI on the list such as Champions of Krynn at #66 and Pool of Radiance at #36. Somewhat unsurprisingly, Planescape: Torment snagged the top spot at #1. And despite its massively buggy debut, Vampire: The Mascarade (their spelling…it’s also the Codex), made the list at #6. That really is a great game despite the technical issues which seems to be the same sentiment shared with the Temple of Elemental Evil.

While you might not agree with all of their choices, it’s still an impressive breakdown and a nice walk on through CRPG history all in one spot. They even break the list down into pre and post 1995 lists to focus on “older gems” such as Betrayal at Krondor and Ultima Underworld I. The post 1995 list skews more towards how the overall rankings broke down, though the pre-1995 list looks very different reflecting an interesting distribution of tastes (or fond memories).

So if you have a chance, check it out along with the pretty pictures lining up all of the favorites, runners up, and other chosen ones following more than three decades of incline. Good stuff.

That typo. :eek: Did he see an older version or something

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That typo. :eek: Did he see an older version or something
Weird, NeoGAF pointed out that typo and I fixed it... on February 7. :?

Anyway, I like seeing people talk about that list. Hope that the full list + reviews will spread out even farther. I really like stuff like /v/'s Recommended Games wiki, and I'm happy to make a RPG Codex version of that, seeing people bookmarking it and deciding what to play next based on it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom