Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
So I have to thank the developers of Thi4f - thanks to them I now have a copy of the thief game that matters on steam for free and don't have to look for my CD-ROM copy anymore. :P
(that free key give away still works btw)

Gord

Arcane
Interestingly many of the reviews seem to indicate that the stealth mechanics per se aren't bad, even quite challenging "but still fair" at times, it seems it's the rest that's shit.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
nK1Q9Jo.jpg

http://kotaku.com/thief-the-kotaku-review-1529393950
"So bad even Kotaku doesn't like it" would make a great tagline.
:hero:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ugh, that UI is atrocious. Huge blueish boxes, fit nicely to the atmosphere and style, NOT. Why can't popamole devs make aesthetically pleasing HUDs anymore?

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Prestigious gaming site Ars Technica doesn't like it either:

Ars Technica's Thief review said:
"The new Thief is separated by almost ten years from the previous game in the series. Game design has come a long way in that time. Rather than comparing this reboot to the outdated memories (and the very different gaming landscape) of those original titles, then, it's better to ask whether Thief can stand on its own as a modern game."

Very prestigious.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can't wait till Square Enix closes down EM. Justice has been served, for once.
I liked Human Revolution, for what it was. I think if that team got the chance to keep iterating, they could come up with some good stuff.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Oh Kotaku. They hate the game because it's not a Mirror's Edge x Assassin's Creed mash-up.

At times, I caught glimpses of the good game that might have been. Things start out promisingly, as Garrett follows his young protégé Erin on a breathless race across the rooftops of The City. You run by holding down the left trigger, which much like an Assassin's Creedgame prompts Garrett to automatically climb, mantle and leap from wall to window to rooftop. There at the beginning, I felt like I was catching sight of what Thief should have been—a first-person Assassin's Creed-meets-Mirror's Edge stealth game, all leaping and diving from rooftop to rooftop, flitting through the shadows like a panther set free.
It is a pattern for most mainstream reviews, it is obvious that the people who made those reviews have no experience with the TDP and TMA and talk buzz words to hide ignorance. I expected a highly dumbed down game but the game failed even on that. I think EM should follow Irrational footsteps.

potatojohn

Arcane
Of course, the decliners at rock paper tumblr loved it. Or at least so I heard anyway. I'm unwilling to read their retarded, vapid writing ever again.

7/10

Learned
Yo publisher's so poor he can only afford to pay off Rock Paper Shotgun.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I come back from work and what do I see? Thi4f gets the trashing it deserves from Sneaky Bastards and some other review outlets. There is a justice in this world.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
Every Thief fan and forum veteran over the Official Eidos or TTLG forums right now:

Stephen-Colbert-I-Told-You-So.gif

Hey, turns out that not following the lists of suggestions that the fans made for you, describing accurately how they could improve the Thief formula with new mechanics, and instead doing everything they told you NOT to do... IS A BAD IDEA! Turns out that gamer fans that play the game on a weekly basis for more than a decade know more about the game than the marketing team, wow, haha, WHO WOULD HAVE GUESSED HUH???

zwanzig_zwoelf

I come back from work and what do I see? Thi4f gets the trashing it deserves from Sneaky Bastards and some other review outlets. There is a justice in this world.
Keep a portion of your popcorn, I have a feeling the real trashing ain't started yet.

Also, I stole Bafford's scepter in like 15 minutes or so, remembering only small bits and pieces of the map.
And the last time I beat that level was more than a year ago.
Now I have to scrap the rest of the loot and run off.
Fuck.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Holy shit, the reviews are tearing it a new one.

The Oesophagus expects any fun examples of damage control you find to be posted here

Angthoron

Arcane
Eurogamer Italy
90%
One of the best action-stealth titles in years and the first serious contender for the “2014 Game of the Year” contest

Guess they figured that for a game about a member of Italian parliament, the game is pretty racey.

EDIT: AHAHAHAHAHAH holy fuck:

Game Informer
Feb 24, 2014
Eidos-Montreal may have adhered too closely to the series’ roots, resulting in a reboot that suffers from classic problems like simplistic combat and trial-and-error sneaking missions. However, locked behind this old-school game design is a gem that stealth fans should eye up for their collection.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ahhahaha it doesn't matter if the retards at Kotaku&Co trash it for the wrong reasons or not, in this case the enemy of my enemy is my friend. At least this one time, this one fucking time, sweet, sweet justice has been served. If I was in those french hipster morons' shoes I'd start looking for a new job real quick. :lol:

It's especially satisfying to see how the bad writing is called out in those reviews. I have to admit this hack of a lead writer really accomplished quite the feat. Delivering writing so unbelievably shitty that it is even trashed by people who think Mass Effect 3 and the like are timeless works of art? I bow before you good sir :salute:

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
On the one hand, I want to applaud Square Enix for having such enormous balls. It’s rare in this day and age that we see a heavily anticipated, aggressively advertised triple-A game shoved out the door in such a sorry state. There’s a spectacle in a failure of this scope, something to be admired in being unashamed to do something so wildly different—even when different means bad.
Sounds like resounding
:bravo:.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Heh it didn't take long for developers to start blaming the fans for the game's average metascore, as seen on Mapcore.

Angthoron

Arcane
Heh it didn't take long for developers to start blaming the fans for the game's average metascore, as seen on Mapcore.
Fans can't even use the metascore yet...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom