Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info The Black Hound lives!

Sammael

Liturgist
Just to make things clear, that wasn't Josh's quote. The whole intro text was written by me.

Dagon

Scholar
yeah, my thoughts were exactly the same: This guy loves creating games. By the way many folks from Black Isle loved doing that.

HotSnack

Cipher
Funny how Sawyer is getting quite a bit of flak for something I'd imagine most rpg players would appreciate, funnier still how responses from the codex have been more positive than other boards like rpgwatch and obsidian.

aboyd

Liturgist
mister lamat said:
There is no way JE will ever finish it, because approximately every 3 games he works on only 1 gets released.

bg3 dead... fallout3 dead... he came in late on nwn2 so that doesn't count...

THE MAN IS DUE!!!
Does BG3 = Black Hound? If not, then he's overdue, as BH was a dead Interplay game, too.

spacemoose

Erudite
this is excellent news. a new hope in a sea of shit! I wish I could find the description Sawyer gave of the game, (it was going to have far more mature themes than the BG series and generally kick ass). Josh Sawyer and Chris Avellone are the two names that can do no wrong with regard to games in my eyes.

spacemoose

Erudite
it certainly says something about our favorite industry, when someone already employed to make games, takes his spare time to create a game for a subbornly ignored market. its like bizarro capitalism

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
mister lamat said:
There is no way JE will ever finish it, because approximately every 3 games he works on only 1 gets released.

bg3 dead... fallout3 dead... he came in late on nwn2 so that doesn't count...

THE MAN IS DUE!!!

Gauntlet: the 7 sorrows or some shit he worked on before he came to obsidian was canceled I believed. The guy can't get a break lol.

Jora

Arcane
POOPERSCOOPER said:
Gauntlet: the 7 sorrows or some shit he worked on before he came to obsidian was canceled I believed. The guy can't get a break lol.
AFAIK, Gauntlet wasn't canceled but much of the story (and other stuff Sawyer worked on) was removed.

Wulfgar

Scholar
Antagonist said:
I thought Sawyer only took over the project when the former lead designer guy left for Bioware. It's unlikely that he could introduce major changes that late in development.

I knew someone would say that. :) Not to hijack the topic, but NWN2 needed both major and plenty of minor changes. From what I've seen (and already bitched about here), there is a lot of stuff that could have been improved easily, if only there was a will to do so, and I'm afraid that sort of stuff falls squarelly on Sawyer's back. Just because he came late doesn't mean he should be absolved from critique. He was the lead designer. He could have made a large difference. He didn't (or God forbid - he did!).

The man can talk the talk. When I'm reading interviews with him, it almost makes me want to shout out: "Someone give this guy some time and resources, dammit!", but fuck it, it seems everything he gets involved with somehow goes to shit.

Anyways, not to be too negative... I'm a BG fan and I sure would like to play a worthwhile continuation of the series (even though BG is DEAD!). And I hope that the NWN2 toolset will allow Sawyer to implement all of the things that were already in or planned for Jefferson. And that the level cap really will be at 8th, with ph4t l3wt cut to the minimum.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I'm a BG fan and I sure would like to play a worthwhile continuation of the series (even though BG is DEAD!). "

Don't let Mr. Sawyer hear you refer to the Black Gound as BG3. He'll murder you as he feels its an insult to have any connection to BIO espicially the Bg series. R00fles!

" Just because he came late doesn't mean he should be absolved from critique. He was the lead designer. He could have made a large difference. He didn't (or God forbid - he did!). "

The key here is he came in LATE. He simply did not have the time to implement a bucnh of complex changes. It's called priortizing. He deserves some blame as well as some credit; but overall; I think you are being a douche.

Anyways, Black Hound (BG3 or whatever) has always sounded like it be a greta game. It'
s too bad I may not get a chance to play it. D0uble R00fles!

suibhne

Erudite
Maybe we'll finally get a chance to see what Josh can do...but he'll probably never get the time to finish this, alas.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
NWN2 doesn't interest me at all, but maybe I'll acquire a copy if and once this mod comes out, just to see if Sawyer can live up to his big words.

Texas Red

Whiner
Maybe Sawyer wouldnt have a need to design NWN modules if Obsidian wouldnt get involved with that console RPG Alien franchise shit. After that Obsidian is truly, as Volourn says, DEAD.

Atrokkus

Erudite
aboyd said:
The game clearly violates WotC kid-friendly guidelines.
This is not a game, not a commercial project (despite its well-known creator), so WotC will have no right to quarrel with him about it. However, if Obsidian ventures on remaking black hound -- now that would be catastrophic because WotC's rules and 'recommendations" concerning the setting, especially during BH development, have become extremely demanding.

It's been Josh's baby, and I always felt he wanted to return to it somehow -- I guess this is the best way to do it. You see, he's got all the design documents and other assets with him; Herve's hands, thank goodness, didn't manage to carve those out of the BIS. I hope he gets his buddies at Obsidian to help him out with scripting (apparently, he already did tht).

Jora

Arcane
The sad thing about using the NWN2 engine for this project is that climbing, swimming and flying can't be implemented. At least there's some hope for mounts.

aboyd

Liturgist
Atrokkus said:
aboyd said:
The game clearly violates WotC kid-friendly guidelines.
This is not a game, not a commercial project (despite its well-known creator), so WotC will have no right to quarrel with him about it.

I very much hope you are right. My fear would be due to the close working relationship that Bio/Obsidian/WotC have. For example, this would be a very sad behind-the-scenes conversation:

Josh: Thanks for approving the new NWN 2 expansion. We'll show ourselves out.

WotC: No problem. Hey Josh, hang on, I wanted to chat privately for a second.

Josh: OK?

WotC: I've seen some icons and sample text for a NWN 2 module you're working on?

Josh: Yeah?

WotC: Looks a bit more mature than we would allow.

Josh: That's why it's not an official product.

WotC: Yeah, but listen, we don't want our nice working relationship to go sour, do we?

Josh: No.

WotC: Good. I'm glad we've agreed to take steps to keep our relationship on a mutually beneficial course.

:(

Anyway, I hope I'm overthinking it. I hope Josh is strong enough to tell them to go shove it if such a conversation were to ever take place.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It depends. Is he still having it set in the FR. If so, WOTC could technically intervere if they so choose...

Vival

Augur
Spacemoose said:
this is excellent news. a new hope in a sea of shit! I wish I could find the description Sawyer gave of the game, (it was going to have far more mature themes than the BG series and generally kick ass). Josh Sawyer and Chris Avellone are the two names that can do no wrong with regard to games in my eyes.

Fine but important is the question: Is this module mature enough to include a rape thing?

Atrokkus

Erudite
It depends. Is he still having it set in the FR. If so, WOTC could technically intervere if they so choose...
No, they won't, unless he makes it a commercial endeveur. Hell, he could maintain anonymousy and what would you say then? That WotC will rain death on some talented fan who decided to spice the setting a lil bit?
In that case, WotC will be like Kazakhstani MIA -- recoiling to every joke of Borat and taking him oh so seriously.

I must stress once more: the money is the key, especially for the bigwigs like wotc.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
omgomg can u imaginee if teh blk hound turns otu beter then nwnw2??? LOOOOLOL

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom