Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News First screens of The Broken Hourglass

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Tags: The Broken Hourglass

<a href=http://www.planewalkergames.com/>Planewalker Games</a> has released the <a href=http://www.planewalkergames.com/content/view/62/1/>first screens</a> of their CRPG in the making, <a href=http://www.planewalkergames.com/content/view/32/46/>The Broken Hourglass</a>. The engine shows off three scenes depicting an arena, some city streets and a tomb (which looks more like a messy library).
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

Bradylama

Arcane
Sort of reminds me of ToEE's engine. What is that unexpected thing in the streets anyway? Looks like a bunch of towels blowing in the wind.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Kind of looks like the Infinity Engine games. It's more than adequate graphics for most people though I'd think. I'm glad it's not turning out to be vaporware.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Admiral jimbob said:
Weren't there screens released before? One on the outside of an arena, I believe...

I think they were early renders or just examples of art assets, rather than being in-game shots as these are (the arena you mention was featured both in the earlier art asset examples and in the new shots).

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Major_Blackhart said:
Will it be turnbased? Cause if it is I'm sooo there.

RTwP. They're basically modelling themselves after Baldur's Gate 2 with every aspect of the game. The one key difference is that the magic system actually sounds pretty interesting. Hope they pull it off so that there is actually some strategy in the combat.

Codex interview http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=135
Question 5 if you're interested in the Magic System

Dagon

Scholar
Screens look quite nice, very Baldur's Gate'ish.
But these circles aroud characters don't fit to enviroment they look quite ugly, they are to big etc.

Anyway I hope to see something more material soon,a demo would be nice.

jcompton

Novice
Dagon said:
But these circles aroud characters don't fit to enviroment they look quite ugly, they are to big etc.

The large circles are weapon range indicators, typically shown only during combat, and also seen in other games such as TOEE. You may disable range increment circles and/or the standard character circles at your discretion.

aboyd

Liturgist
Hey, nice to have you posting, Jason.

Since it's such a big thing for you, or at least it was a prominent thing in many of your mods, do you think you could release a screenshot with some dialogue?

aboyd

Liturgist
Bradylama said:
What is that unexpected thing in the streets anyway? Looks like a bunch of towels blowing in the wind.
Water elemental, maybe?

Fresh

Erudite
aboyd said:
Bradylama said:
What is that unexpected thing in the streets anyway? Looks like a bunch of towels blowing in the wind.
Water elemental, maybe?

Water elemental... Yeah I thought so too at first. But then I brought out the ol' magnifying glass and took a closer look:

brokenhourglass-gates1.jpg

Someone explaing why aweigh is in the game? Weird...

jcompton

Novice
aboyd said:
Since it's such a big thing for you, or at least it was a prominent thing in many of your mods, do you think you could release a screenshot with some dialogue?

Of course, that's in the cards. There's plenty of Mondays between now and release, after all. Plus, I think everybody needs a chance to recover from those range circles.

Zomg

Arbiter
Hey, people with mod powers, give out a developer avatar and title. And Dhruin is still running around with an RPGdot avatar, you slackers.

Balor

Arcane
Yea, it's a shame. I bet it's about as comfortable as having a decomposing zombie hanging on your neck :).

denizsi

Arcane
I thought there wouldn't be screenshot and or video updates at the Codex, unlike the other "mindless drones".

Anyway, game looks great. I miss isometric 2D for real.

Tris McCall

Novice
the broken hourglass

peak said:
Looks really good, though maybe a bit sharp in the corners. Keep up the good work!

Honestly, for an indie game, I think it looks really good. I've been hacking my way through the Spiderweb stuff, and while those games are fun, next to Avernum 2, The Broken Hourglass appears to be graphics heaven. I dig the multicolored range circles, too -- those were among the coolest things about ToEE. It's not that they were very helpful, but they made it feel like you were playing a tactically sophisticated game.

aboyd

Liturgist
I thought they were very useful in ToEE. But I'm with you, it's nice to have them in BH, too.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
denizsi said:
I thought there wouldn't be screenshot and or video updates at the Codex, unlike the other "mindless drones".

Anyway, game looks great. I miss isometric 2D for real.

I'm going to take a guess and say because it's the first ever screen shots of the game. I think that qualifies as news worthy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom