Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game ideas

MrMarbles

Cipher
Was talking about the possibilites of gaming this weekend, and we had a brainwave. What if you combine the following elements:

1. An accurate spatial sensor (Should be possible. This exists, think the Wii infrared sensor only souped up)
2. Oculus VR (Possible, naturally. Could probably be greatly improved)
3. Haptic gloves (Same as above)
4. Headset with directional pinpointing
5. An epic strat game like Homeworld

None of these elements are far-fetched, most of them are functional to a sufficient degree today. We could be conducting large space opera battles with our hands in our living rooms in the not too distant future. Pretty fucking cool.

Misconnected

Savant
From what I've read recently, movement of your point of view, especially rapid movement, makes people seasick. So it might not be as much fun as it sounds.

But fuck it, sign me up!

Misconnected

Savant
lol, ofc :D

Semi-seriously, though (mind I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about), there's this phenomenon they call "presence", which basically means the experience fools enough of your senses sufficiently well to make you feel as though you're physically present within the rendered world. And that phenomenon is apparently strong enough to seriously fuck with you, if you start pulling stunts in the virtual world that you can't do in the real one.

So I'm guessing that the really cool shit, like following fighters around, and zooming in and out of the tactical map, is going to make you throw up a little bit.

But like I said, I totally volunteer. I'll even bring my own barf bags :D

MrMarbles

Cipher
That's an interesting point. A possible benefit would be that LP's and game trophies entail even bigger bragging rights. Also, people who spend long periods of time on ships get used to the constant motion, could the same apply to this kind of VR gaming? As in the grizzled gamers out there gain an edge just on account of them not having a life outside?

In any case maybe the name of the thread to Future Homeword - A game that will vomit all over your face

Misconnected

Savant
As in the grizzled gamers out there gain an edge just on account of them not having a life outside?

I would guess that you're right, but I don't know. I'd think you can get used to pretty much anything. But I suppose it's possible there's a limit to what humans are capable of compensating for and adapting to. We are, after all, a product of our natural environment. I'm not actually sure that anyone knows at this point.

It won't be as effective control scheme as mouse&keyboard is.

I wouldn't say that with such confidence if I were you.

Mouse movement, generally speaking, translates to arm and hand and finger movement. With a haptic glove you get to track the actual arm, hand and finger movement as separate things, and you get to track them on an additional axis. So assuming the same kind of precision and response time, it seems unlikely to me that a haptic glove wouldn't be a significant improvement.

Likewise, a keyboard is basically just buttons that provide tactile feedback and stay where they are regardless of your motion. I can't quite imagine how you'd nail the tactile feedback bit using haptic gloves, but assuming it could be done, the haptic glove would likely prove superior. If for no other reason than because it would be possible to tailor the specifications of the keyboard to the task at hand.

But this is, of course, assuming non-existent technology.

MrMarbles

Cipher
It won't be as effective control scheme as mouse&keyboard is.

I'd raise the same objections as Misconnected. As for assuming the existence of non-existent technology, I don't think it's particularly far fetched to think that the tech in these areas can, and will, get better. I'd say it's likely. In the grand scheme of things, haptics and VR in their current form haven't been around for very long, kind of like intarwebz in the late 90's.

Likewise, a keyboard is basically just buttons that provide tactile feedback and stay where they are regardless of your motion. I can't quite imagine how you'd nail the tactile feedback bit using haptic gloves, but assuming it could be done, the haptic glove would likely prove superior.

Agreed. In terms of being the only interface between 1) a human mind capable of incredibly complex operations and 2) programs also capable of incredibly complex operations, a keyboard and mouse are almost ridiculously limited. Physically, keyboard/mouse set a fairly low cap on the number of commands that can be given at any one time, and they are not well suited for instant translation of more abstract commands.

DAT

Educated
BRO INSTEAD OF STRAPPING ON A SHIT LOAD OF NES ACCESSORIES JUST JACK YOUR BRIANS INTO THE COMPUTER

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom