Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline TES: Online will kill WoW

Unwanted

Contrite

Andhaira
Andhaira
Recently I saw an advertisement for a new WoW expansion. Not only was this expansion priced at a whopping $59.99, this is a 10+ year old subscription based game priced at $14.99 per month.

The Elder Scrolls Online is also based on a similar business model. However, it is new and *shiny*, has a substantially different art style and color palette to WoW, has an optional yet completely viable first person POV and above all it is powered by the TES Brand name. It offers a few things that will be new to the WoW crowd. All this will be sufficient to draw players away from WoW, and spell the death knell for that MMO behemoth. WoW will not collapse overnight ofcourse, as even UO is still continuing after around 20 years.

But WoW will cease eventually to make a difference or to matter. And this will directly be the fault of TES: Online.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nothing will kill WoW because it exists in a different universe. It is a phenomenon. Eventually it will fade away, but not because of another game.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've heard this same thing said about probably 20 different games at this point. Odds are TESO won't even make a dent in WoW's subscriber count regardless of whether it does well or not (for the record, I'm guessing it won't do that well).

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Recently I saw an advertisement for a new WoW expansion. Not only was this expansion priced at a whopping $59.99, this is a 10+ year old subscription based game priced at $14.99 per month.

The Elder Scrolls Online is also based on a similar business model. However, it is new and *shiny*, has a substantially different art style and color palette to WoW, has an optional yet completely viable first person POV and above all it is powered by the TES Brand name. It offers a few things that will be new to the WoW crowd. All this will be sufficient to draw players away from WoW, and spell the death knell for that MMO behemoth. WoW will not collapse overnight ofcourse, as even UO is still continuing after around 20 years.

But WoW will cease eventually to make a difference or to matter. And this will directly be the fault of TES: Online.
Despite googling several different parts of your post, I can't find where you've copied this from.

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
At least in that TOR thread the op used anecdotal evidence provided by a stupid customer of his.

This thread is as weak as ESO's long-term financial estimate.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Does anyone still play WoW? I know it has millions of subscribers, but maybe they're all people who forgot to cancel their subscriptions.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Surprisingly a lot of people still play WoW. I have friends that are furious MMORPG players and while they've tried everything, LOTR, SW-TOR, secret world, guild wars, etc, they always go back to wow. They have been playing wow since it was released and they've grown old with it. I can't say I understand how they think though. These guys have set timetables of online play several days a week, where they do the same dungeons over and over again.

shrug.gif

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They're charging $60 for the new WoW expansion? Is that US dollars or some third world region I don't care about that always has higher than normal game prices. I don't know how much Cata and MoP cost since last expansion I bought was Wrath at $40. That said, I could see them raising the price since, at this point, they basically give vanilla and most of the older expacs away for free.

Most of WoW's other challengers had the hype train pushing them along, followed by the release rush, complaints of bugs or something not being enough like WoW, the gradual decline in population and then followed by the switch to F2P.

Meanwhile WoW chugs along unharmed or maybe even gets a player surge because adopters of the other game felt unsatisfied and yearn for haunts of yesteryear.

ESO can't even get the first part right, because both journalists and regular players alike have been 'expressing concern' (pissing all over it) since beta began. It's only downhill from there.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't remember paying more than $40 for any of the expansions and I always got them at right when they came out.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What time does this beta weekend end? I was gonna give it another spin but I forgot about it.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Logged in, laggy as fuck, closed game. Dammit, why did they have to waste this game on a fucking MMO.

Imagine if WoW actually died and those 10 million degenerates were forced to reintegrate with the real world.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Despite the stereotype the average wow player is p. normal, it's as mainstream as video games get after mobas, modern shooters and sports games.

J1M

Arcane
WoW subscribers will drop this summer, because it is looking like they will be waiting a whole year between their last content patch and the next expansion.

I'm sure we will hear a lot about other games stealing customers, but those will be false positives. When Warlords of Draenor finally launches, it will recover all of the lost subs from the summer.

Also, unlike previous WoW droughts, this summer there will be a Heroes of the Storm beta for people to dump money into.

Whiran

Magister
The next WoW expansion is $50 USD if you pre-order it.

If you pre-order it you get an instant character boost thing to the current max level (90.)

WoW is definitely not dead. A friend convinced me to use up a trial 10 day thing to see how the game is going. There are a ton of people on the server I used to play on. People are everywhere. The server seems busier than ESO did.

As to ESO being a WoW killer - that's just foolish talk. That's the same silly "prediction" that every fan boy from every MMO since WoW became super successful has been spouting.

WoW will remain the top dog on the MMO pile because it maintains critical mass. People go back to WoW because their friends play WoW. Their friends play WoW because -their- friends play WoW.

I am back in WoW 'cause my friends still play the game and finally convinced me to give it another go around. That and ESO was totally incapable of scratching the MMO / raiding itch that has slowly been building since Final Fantasy XIV.

If I were to compare ESO to WoW then WoW comes out so far in front that it's pretty sad. Even with pandas (who the heck thought that was a good idea? oh boy, I sure think the pandas are dumb) WoW wins between the two.

I think ESO will go the way all the other AAA MMOs have to date: a brief flash in the pan and then a deserted world. I don't even know how popular ESO will be up front. The feedback from the Beta has been, overwhelmingly, meh from most players.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom