Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Subterranea - 3D, Turn-based, Fantasy CRPG

The trailer makes rogues look like a fun character class as opposed to the usual boring mobile lockpick.

:takemymoney:

JMab

Augur
Yeah, I posted about that on my site. Even in a turn-based combat game, the Rogues, with their high dexterity, should be a dynamic force around the battlefield. Given their speed due to their light armor, and the agility, if you work on their Tumble skill, you should have a character that can swiftly move through packs of enemies to strike vulnerable opponents at the back. There's still the traditional hiding, sneaking and surprise attacking, but sliding and tumbling seems a bit more fun...!

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Hey, JMab, just wanted to let you know that your game looks cool and is very impressive for a one-man project. Hope your campaign succeeds!

JMab

Augur
Thanks Abelian! I hope so too... 8% of the way there on Kickstarter and 5% of the way there on Steam, with 441 yes votes.

They are going to be marathon campaigns though, rather than sprints!

Misconnected

Savant
I'm curious about the camera rotating thing, what's the justification for that decision? Pretty much every game I've ever played that had it, would have been significantly better without it, so to me sounds a bit worrying.

JMab

Augur
I'm curious about the camera rotating thing, what's the justification for that decision? Pretty much every game I've ever played that had it, would have been significantly better without it, so to me sounds a bit worrying.

Rotating the camera is optional - when you select a character, the camera will position itself above and behind that character. When you move the character, the camera will move with them.

At any point you can optionally rotate the camera around the character, to see your environment from any angle. The camera will retain this rotation while the character is moving, so if you're moving a character across a ledge you can position the camera above, or to the side, of the character, at your choice and it will stay in that relative position until you've navigated the ledge.

However, if you never rotate the camera at all, the game will just keep a standard above and behind view.

I think this approach is the same as most modern 3D CRPGs - it's a different story for CRPGs with static 2D backgrounds, as camera rotation is not possible in those games...

Misconnected

Savant
I think this approach is the same as most modern 3D CRPGs - it's a different story for CRPGs with static 2D backgrounds, as camera rotation is not possible in those games...

That's my concern. In those games constantly fiddling with the vanity camera is mandatory, as there's no adequate way to view the game elements.

Oh well, don't worry about it. I'm not pulling my pledge just because it appears you're going to do the same annoying thing everyone else have been doing since 3D enabled them to do so.

EDIT: I totally know how quote tags work... Derp

JMab

Augur
At this point, with a significant amount of time left until the release date, design can certainly be changed, especially from the influence of backers.

One thing I'm interested in is whether you know of any examples of where a fixed 3D camera worked well in a 3D environment? If so, I'll check them out...

One thing I'd assume though is that you'd have to build environments tailored to the fixed camera's perspective, i.e. there couldn't be any points of interest in parts of the environment that the camera is not fixed to look at...

Camera should default to an isometric south east compass position but remain freely rotatable. And, although I'm aware of the difficulties involved in creating a 3D environment and camera positioning, I'm a backer now so I feel all entitled and shit. CATER FOR ME!!!!!!

J1M

Arcane
As someone who also hates moving cameras, I think nothing being located on a south wall is an acceptable trade off for never needing to move the camera. :obviously:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
There's also the way 3D RTS games do it: the camera is fixed, but the players can rotate by holding down another button, such as Shift, and use the mouse wheel or +/- to zoom.

Apexeon

Arcane
If you want any free art work done feel free to have a chat with me.
I know how hard it is to get a project up to the level were people will just look at
it and maybe back it !!!.

Misconnected

Savant
One thing I'm interested in is whether you know of any examples of where a fixed 3D camera worked well in a 3D environment? If so, I'll check them out...

I'm sure there must be one or two, but I can't think of any. I do think the price, in terms of where you can put interactive elements, how tall you can make walls, and such, is a very small one to pay for a massive amount of convenience, though.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
At this point, with a significant amount of time left until the release date, design can certainly be changed, especially from the influence of backers.

One thing I'd assume though is that you'd have to build environments tailored to the fixed camera's perspective, i.e. there couldn't be any points of interest in parts of the environment that the camera is not fixed to look at...
The following are RTS examples I was able to finish using the default camera settings: Emperor: Battle for Dune, Warcraft 3, Command & Conquer: Generals, Company of Heroes, Red Alert 3.
The difference is that they didn't take place underground, where the walls could provide obstruction, and didn't have small, easy to miss points of interest.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I pledged, good luck with the end of the campaign, and if it comes to that, don't hesitate to launch a new one after some extra spamming and hype building.

I would put the gameplay before the lore section, as it is the part players will mostly wonder about the most.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I'm sorry you didn't meet your funding goals, I was really looking forward to your project. Let us know when you'll start your next campaign.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Yes please do. I missed this but I would definitely support this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom