Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can we make Yunzi handle the religious stuff, please?

I understand your intent, Baltika9, but Jing is really not the one for ceremonies and rituals of any kind.

Come to think of it, it wasn't in the job description at all.

Baltika9

Arcane
If you want.
I would like that, yeah. Good way to get an idea of what we've gotten ourselves into and study up on their rituals.

They should be somewhat relieved that Jing isn't a total dickhead and is at least showing some interest in this.
Can we make Yunzi handle the religious stuff, please?

I understand your intent, Baltika9, but Jing is really not the one for ceremonies and rituals of any kind.

Come to think of it, it wasn't in the job description at all.
Kinda was, actually. Even as just a figurehead, we must participate in the symbloic rituals. As their leader, we can't just take a giant shit on their traditions.

At the very least, we won't be harming ourselves in any way by just studying and understanding them.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Well, this is what they expect from us:
Actually, they don't really want you in charge of the official stuff in the first place, or else they'd have asked you to stay and start learning the ropes. :lol: You don't look like the sort of guy who would do well memorizing prayers and worship rituals. You're supposed to be a replacement for Ahura anyway, and although he did know his rituals, he (together with the Amesha Spenta) also functioned as the big scary badass to deter any attack on the temple. They'd like you to become stronger because it helps them as well when people don't fuck with them because they're afraid of you.

You'll be the handsome young symbol of the temple, holy fire in one eye, pretty white hair blowing in the wind, beautiful Holy Maiden by your side, leading the temple to whatever goal you determine for them in the future while they do all the paperwork behind the scenes.
Every man has something he is better or worse at. And we are definitely worse at it than Yunzi. So why bother?

This has nothing to do with insulting their traditions.

Baltika9

Arcane
It is part if the job, though:
Of course, when the discussion begins, the first thing you realize is that you do not know a single thing about the rituals of their temple.

“You will not be able to learn them in just a week or two, Lord,” says Haurvatat, “but you do not need to, for now.”
Eventually we'll have to. Let's just get a head start on our road with some nightly reading. I mean, fuck, you can't lead a religious order without knowing what you're doing.

I want to be their actual leader, not an absent figurehead that does the bare minimum to get by, like the Observer in EPIC.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Plus it will make our speeches 10x more effective for warfare and...other things: "lo, as it says in the 3rd scroll of flame, 'and you must dedicate your very bodies to the truth', so then, young temple maidens, you must dedicate your bodies to me before any other." :smug:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
They definitely don't need you to memorize all the rituals and prayers, but they do need you to know just enough so that you don't accidentally desecrate the sacred fire in front of the whole temple or something.

Nevill

Arcane
Well, they already have an actual leader. Yunzi. She is the one running things here.

You can, of course, devote time to get an education so that you would be more helpful to her, but I can't help but think that it would be better spent elsewhere.

You are expected to know a bare minimum about them, but diving in the religious texts is hardly a necessity for that.

Baltika9

Arcane
They definitely don't need you to memorize all the rituals and prayers, but they do need you to know just enough so that you don't accidentally desecrate the sacred fire in front of the whole temple or something.

Cool, so let's get brushed up on it. I know they think Jing is a trollish jackass and thinks with his dong first and foremost and have incredibly low expectations of us, but I want to prove them wrong about that.
This is a great first step.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Well, we do have luck 1, so they are going to have to give us some leeway on the whole desecration thing. Shit does happen...

Esquilax

Arcane
Well, they already have an actual leader. Yunzi. She is the one running things here.

You can, of course, devote time to get an education so that you would be more helpful to her, but I can't help but think that it would be better spent elsewhere.

Yeah, she's been their de facto leader for a while, but when time comes to reveal the truth, we're going to have to step in and guide these people.

You are expected to know a bare minimum about them, but diving in the religious texts is hardly a necessity for that.

Out of all the things you could say about anybody in a position of leadership, "he does the bare minimum" is possibly the worst. :lol:

I'm not saying we should be a Hafiz here and memorize their holy books, but learning a bit about their rituals and generally looking like you give a shit about the whole thing couldn't hurt.

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm not proposing anything radical, just some nightly reading in our downtime so we're not a total fool in front of our Ameshas and Yunzi.
Just take the scrolls and read em. Not saying we should rewrite their entire faith in one year.

Nevill

Arcane
Esquilax said:
I'm not saying we should be a Hafiz here and memorize their holy books, but learning a bit about their rituals and generally looking like you give a shit about the whole thing couldn't hurt.
Not really different from what I have said.

I just think that you managing the external affairs, so to speak, and letting Yunzi handle the internal ones would be more efficient.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Yup lets take a copy of the scriptures. It doesnt hurt to at least have a basic understanding of our religion. We are still needed to perform some rituals and better not dick them up.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Treave I think that choice 1 should also have a second flag to it 1 take it serious 2 dont take it serious. So we have a little more choice how Jing adresses the cult on the matter.

Nevill

Arcane
Nooooo! Everything but more DISCUSS on the titles!

I get the feeling that everyone here intends to treat these people seriously. It's not every day you get your own personal Cult. In Tulu Huodu's words, 'why sabotage your own powerbase like that?'

Baltika9

Arcane
Yeah, no more of this shit for this update, FFS. The issue is settled, DC won. And apparently we are in agreement that we should take a copy of the scriptures with us.
Nooooo! Everything but more DISCUSS on the titles!
At least lets enforce Jing to take a little responsibility for this mess and those people...
Not how this LP works: the character's attitude to duties and other people is determined by our actions through the LP, not by us voting that we'll totes take it srsly! If we want Jing to take his position in the Cult seriously, then we have to prioritize them in our decision making. Which I'm down with.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Yeah, no more of this shit for this update, FFS. The issue is settled, DC won. And apparently we are in agreement that we should take a copy of the scriptures with us.
Not how this LP works: the character's attitude to duties and other people is determined by our actions through the LP, not by us voting that we'll totes take it srsly! If we want Jing to take his position in the Cult Seriously, then we have to prioritize them in our decision making. Which I'm down with.
Then lets do this! In time this will be a sect of YOLOTIGER

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom