Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Not really, just a great solution to most of the "solvable"* problems of the game. For example, the ones you just mentioned - shitty dragons and level scaling. And the grinding thing was pulled out of your ass because that's not needed at all.

*I hope this is not veering towards that stupid "does this mod fix the shitty writing and engine? LOLOLO" argument again...:deadhorse:

Eyeball

Arcane
Wow, and I thought I was butthurt about the South Park game. I am humbled.

I don't really see Requiem as being "grindy" as such - "grinding" to me Means repeating the same content over and over in an attempt to get XP and loot. I don't need to metagame in Requiem, I just do quests, run away from the quests that are too hard and eventually become strong enough through finishing those quests to take on harder content. It does take a looong time to be able to fight end-game foes, though.

At the moment, I am stuck at the Dragon Priest in Labyrinthian. I can damage him a tiny bit by toebombing him with fire rune but his Health regen nullifies any damage I deal almost instantly. Summoning 2 trolls to hammer away at him does precisely dick. I have 77 destruction and see no way of killing him. What's the trick here?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
raise ghost warriors and heal undead should do the trick?
its probably a mana battle. bolt him till he runs out of mana

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I always feel like I was doing something terribly wrong in vanilla because I spent most of my time getting one-shot-killed by dragons and ice mages from level 1 to... well, the point where I got bored and uninstalled, but it was a reasonably high level.

RK47

Patron
You most definitely need to spend gold on training.
I'm glad they reverted to normal training costs too, cause the last version I played last year jacked the cost so high up.
Also, tempted to use Alchemy to back up my warrior, but 0.5 flask weights annoys me.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
the only reliable way of killing dragonpriests i have found is standing in front of it and casting fireshock until it dies. i am convinced the unnamed dragonpriests have bugged regeneration.

so recently i got that quest to recover that old sword from the smith in windhelm.
thatsalotofpoisonkvxz3.jpg
i rate this cave 9/10, i subtracted one point because sometimes the vampires do not clip through the secret door and that just lame because it makes things fair.

RK47

Patron
It's not the damage that kills you, it's the fucking venom vision that just made fighting back impossible.

RK47

Patron
Yeah most definitely. I never liked having those effects on. AI doesn't suffer from it at all.

Current issues with Requiem:
1. Companions Triggering Traps
I wish they'd just disable companion triggering traps, it's pretty frustrating when you get far enough and saw that pressure plate - sidestep past it, only to get killed cause your companion steps on it blindly.

2. Cooked food & Availability
What is up with the inns not serving those 'good' food with Stamina regenerations like Vegetable Soup? I ended up just harvesting farms and cooking my own soups cause the inn sold only low quality food.

3. Prices & Gold
Want a horse? 6000 gold? What? This isn't really affordable, and if you want a legit way of getting that much gold, you better take alchemy. I know that the saddlebag is essential but really, 6000 gold? I ended up stealing Frost from Riften quest just to get a legit horse.

Gold coin weight is a little bit much. Ironically, you'd never find a lot in dungeons for the weight to make a difference, but when you want to spend it, the weight issue crops up all the time. Considering the cost of items, it's a hassle to haul all that coin just to make purchase. Try College of mages? 2k per spell. Training? 200-500 per session x5. In the end, faced between using companions as wallets or dropping coins in barrel, I decided to just zero it out. It wasn't worth the hassle.

4. Exhaustion and dropping weapons.
Hey, while dueling Vilkas, I dropped my blade a couple of times. I get it, this is Requiem combat - people get tired, struck with a hard blow and drop their weapon. But does this apply to enemies? I'd like to know cause I never seen that happen to any opponent ever, or did they die so quick that I never get that to happen at all? I can never tell when the opponent tires out, I swing my blade a few times and saw the green bar empty so quick.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane

I don't really see Requiem as being "grindy" as such - "grinding" to me Means repeating the same content over and over in an attempt to get XP and loot. I don't need to metagame in Requiem, I just do quests, run away from the quests that are too hard and eventually become strong enough through finishing those quests to take on harder content. It does take a looong time to be able to fight end-game foes, though.

At the moment, I am stuck at the Dragon Priest in Labyrinthian. I can damage him a tiny bit by toebombing him with fire rune but his Health regen nullifies any damage I deal almost instantly. Summoning 2 trolls to hammer away at him does precisely dick. I have 77 destruction and see no way of killing him. What's the trick here?

Dragon Priests have insane regeneration, so you need something that deals enough damage to get the job done (like ghostly werewolves; trolls will hold him, but are not capable of damaging him). I am not sure, but I think a high level lightning spell (due to lightning always hitting and burning magicka as well) should to the trick - a rune is not enough, because you need continuous damage just to get through that regeneration.
PS
I actually cheesed my way through Labyrinthian at some point with Wabbajack (you can kill dragon priests with it, but battles quickly dissolve into utter chaos when using it), since I was more interested in the quest lines that got blocked due to all mages at the college panicking.

Lancehead

Liturgist
If you're a caster, definitely get Mehrune's Razor. You might just get lucky and end a tough fight in a moment.

DraQ

Arcane

I don't really see Requiem as being "grindy" as such - "grinding" to me Means repeating the same content over and over in an attempt to get XP and loot. I don't need to metagame in Requiem, I just do quests, run away from the quests that are too hard and eventually become strong enough through finishing those quests to take on harder content.
:bro:

I find restoration Sun- anti-undead spells pretty effective against Dragon Priests, do you have those?

roll-a-die

Magister
Got killed by an Elk last night, that was my queue to hop off for the night. I got to level 5 and completed the first dark brotherhood minicontracts. Going to hop back on today and try to get a bit more enjoyment out of it, than the running away from everything that isn't deer or dog shaped. The run back from the abandoned shack wasn't fun either. There was a werewolf in 3 of the 4 directions I could go. That would oneshot me without giving me a chance to run away.

JrK

Prophet
Hey, while dueling Vilkas, I dropped my blade a couple of times. I get it, this is Requiem combat - people get tired, struck with a hard blow and drop their weapon. But does this apply to enemies? I'd like to know cause I never seen that happen to any opponent ever, or did they die so quick that I never get that to happen at all? I can never tell when the opponent tires out, I swing my blade a few times and saw the green bar empty so quick.

I cheated once and set an opponent's stamina to 0. Guess what? It has 0 effect whatsoever on whatever they do. That's the point I upped my own stamina regen to something like 4x, which is still enough to tire you with two power attacks.

roll-a-die

Magister
Alright, I've got the first 2 perks in archery, I've got gruesome shot to 1, why the hell do things still take chink damage when I shoot them with a crossbow. It two shots humaniods with light armor. However I just TAI'd and shot the iron armor wearing bandit(Because he seemingly took no damage, and I wanted to see what it would take to kill him after I reloaded from him and an archer two shotting me), THIRTY SEVEN bolts later, I finally got him to one sixth of his hitpoints.

Da Fuq. Not using bows anymore, using crossbows, have the requisite perks to do this, but it still takes an obscene amount of bolts to even approach killing a heavy armor wearing bandit. Which is something I need to do to advance up the dark brotherhood.

roll-a-die

Magister
Fuck it, you know, I finally figured it out, my entire problem with the requiem/OOO/FCOM styled overhauls, there's no median, either you coast through something not even trying, or you are stomped in the head, dragged down the street, and given a tattoo that says bitch from a man called Bubba.

What I want is a world where bandits and such are just as weak as you, you die in about one hit, yes, but so do they. Then you start getting stronger, you join a faction, you get a training, equipment, etc, and you get to be better than those rabble, you start going out and fighting, not vampires, but maybe orcs and more skilled people like forsworn. Eventually having blooded yourself on them, you move on to being able to fight off bears, and packs of wolves. And it's a logical sense of progression, there's no level 40 Frost creatures that I have to console kill because they are completely illogical right out side of the city inbetween it and a vital mill. The bandits may have stronger variants, but that would make them easier to recognize, things like pieces of faction armor, steel weapons.

Walking around in requiem doesn't give me a sense of wonder or even a sense of fear, it gives me a sense of WHAT THE FUCK. Because generally if it's a threat it falls into 2 catagories, dead before it sees you, or strong enough to roflpwn you. AND YOU HAVE NO WAY OF TELLING WHAT IS WHAT. I mean beyond the obvious, if it glows run. I'm talking, I find plain clothes treasure hunters on an island, wearing clothes, like civilian clothes. Shoot one, it takes about a quarter of his health off, they sprint at me, come in, kill me with one hit. It's like they are following a different set of rules that assumes I'm blind, deaf, dumb, infirm, incontinent and retarded. I mean, even if you go and assume that this is meant to ape the RPG styles of Baldurs Gate, icewind dale, etc. Yes things could one shot you there, but it was a function based on the dice, not a constant, die, die, die. I'm playing smartly, I'm attacking from a distance, I'm doing things with a plan. I'm trying to adapt to each situation. But not being able to kill things that logically I should be able to, with plans that should work. Makes me pissed. These are bandits, they aren't disciplined soldiers, they are poor underfed people, living in cold ass ruins, wearing ill maintained armor, they should be roughly equivelent to a starting PC. Not to someone 10-20 levels higher, and if they are, make some indication of that. Fortifications, traps, a gate, a small civilian population, maybe a small garden or farm. Not just people slumming it in ruins.

So in summation, Requiem sucks not because of its difficulty, but because its balance makes no sense, even in regards to the fantasy roleplaying games it alleges to base itself on.

Okay, seriously now - I really think you fucked your install somehow. That sounds nothing like what I've experienced in two characters so far (and I use mods that make it even harder, like Immersive Creatures). And given the mod is popular enough to pop up on every "recommend me a mod" list, it can't be that nightmarish difficult.

Also,

butthurt detected

roll-a-die

Magister
Installed with Wryebash on a clean skyrim install, with a brand new save, brand new characters, crossbow got legitimately, additional bolts cheated in because no one sells them. Load order looks like this,
Code:
00  Skyrim.esm
01  Update.esm
02  Dawnguard.esm
03  HearthFires.esm
04  Dragonborn.esm
05  Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp  [Version 2.0.1]
06  Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp  [Version 2.0.1]
07  Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp  [Version 2.0.1]
08  HighResTexturePack01.esp
09  HighResTexturePack02.esp
0A  HighResTexturePack03.esp
0B  Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp  [Version 1.1.5]
0C  Chesko_Frostfall.esp
0D  Immersive Battles.esp
0E  Immersive Brigands.esp
0F  Immersive Dawnguard.esp
10  Immersive Dragonborn.esp
11  Immersive Factions.esp
12  Immersive Mercenaries.esp
13  Immersive Patrols.esp
14  Immersive Travelers.esp
15  Immersive Werewolves.esp
16  SkyUI.esp
17  Requiem.esp
18  ERSO 03 - Mighty Dragons.esp
19  ERSO 03 - Mighty Dragons DG.esp
1A  ERSO 03 - Mighty Dragons DB.esp
1B  ERSO 03.3 - Mighty Dawnguard Dragons.esp
1C  ERSO 03.4 - Mighty Dragonborn Dragons.esp
1D  ERSO 03.5 - New Dragon Loots.esp
1E  ERSO 04 - Mighty Odahviing.esp
1F  ERSO 04.2 - Mighty Durnehviir.esp
20  ERSO 06 - Wait More Time Dragon Encounter x1.5.esp
21  ERSO 07 - Mighty Dragon Priests.esp
22  ERSO 09 - Vendor Trainer Quest-giver protected USKP.esp
23  morrowloot.esp
24  RealisticNeedsandDiseases.esp
25  RND_Dawnguard-Patch.esp
26  RND_HearthFires-Patch.esp
27  RND_Dragonborn-Patch.esp
28  RND_Requiem-Patch.esp
29  Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp  [Version 2.3.5]

Literally nothing else installed, not even texture packs.

roll-a-die

Magister
I am only level 5 by the way, so maybe I'm just not Gud enough. Maybe I didn't spec right. Maybe this mod doesn't give me enough information to spec right. Maybe I just have issues finding good locations to do anything.

EDIT: But I did put about 5 hours into getting to level 5, so I've played this mod enough to have a pretty solid opinion of it. And yeah, I am a little butthurt, because the awesome things you guys describe about this mod. Which mainly consist of, "It's ard," and "u jus ned to git gud to enjoy it," seem to be outweighed by getting oneshot from behind by a mudcrab, and walking out of windhelm heading to anga's mill and dying 6 times to a wolf, and a frost wrym thing on the road that just turn and attack me the moment I interrupt them by walking at a brisk pace towards them and the mill.

The GIT GUD comments are just to annoy you people. Read the pdf manual that comes with it, and the Brodual videos on the Nexus page have some helpful tips as well.

Load order looks good.

And although the readme says changing the difficulty shouldn't affect anything because difficulty is supposed to be static now, see if you didn't leave the game on Master or Legendary difficulty. Dragonborn caused my difficulty to spike since it automatically set the difficulty to the newly introduced Legendary (ultrahard mode), and I think it make Requiem shit itself since it's made mainly for the vanilla game (I mentioned this before, but this is a huge thread so here it is again).

I cheated once and set an opponent's stamina to 0. Guess what? It has 0 effect whatsoever on whatever they do. That's the point I upped my own stamina regen to something like 4x, which is still enough to tire you with two power attacks.

The PC gets the Disarm shout, maybe the modder didn't bother adding another way of doing it.

edit: wtf happened with the font?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom