Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Tigranes

Arcane
I'll come back to this, but I'm surprised at the bandwagon. I'm very wary about trusting BJ like this.

(1) Theseus. No, really, in the sense that BJ is the last person in the pugilistic world we would trust, he actually has a track record of hating us and being sneaky and being more than he seems.
(2) Once we spill our plan, BJ has two options: (a) go along with it, (b) use our presence and actions in the appropriate moment to get what he wants. E.g. he might simply wish to rat us out, have us cause a commotion, and use that to look good - or to have the wedding cancelled - or whatever other ulterior motives, since he has a lot more information than we do. Basically, we're giving him control, and unless our plan coincides exactly with his best interests, he'll just use us.
(3) Why would BJ want to marry another woman?

Rex Feral

Prophet
If we stupidly die, at least we get a roll-back :troll:

Or we get to play as Gao Ying ruthlessly murdering everyone ruthlessly failing to murder anyone because the Codex has a hard on for the power of friendship and love.

Kipeci

Arcane
Obviously BJ's going to use us to his own aims to some degree if we tell him the plan, but there's a chance (though not too great of one, admittedly) that our interests will sync up and he'll help to save a maiden in trouble. If not he can screw us over, but he already knows we're here so he can do that anyway.

Absinthe

Arcane
Bai Jiutian has already found us. We have two options:
  1. Spill the beans and maybe he'll come along (seriously, we're just going to talk to Song Lingshu)
  2. Don't spill the beans, and he'll try to undermine us, which means shit is going to go down. Given the circumstances, this can spiral rapidly out of control.
Right now Jing and Bai Jiutian share an incentive in that we want to resolve the situation quietly. We already don't trust each other, so backstabbing is only going to be a messy affair.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
BA

The first B is pretty obvious. A might be ok, but C is way overboard, funny though it may be. Bai Jiutian showing up messes everything up. I guess he wouldn't know we are about if we had sneaked in. C seems counterproductive. I'd like to lie, but he isn't going to believe us. A is a plausible reason for us to be here. BJ just might go along with the plan. He'll try to foil us for sure if we say we're just curious.

Baltika9

Arcane
Baltika9
Anabanana
Elfberserker
Smashing Axe
RealDDc
Esquilax
Kz3r0

Total- 7

Last edited:

Tribute

Arbiter
BC>BA. I don't like the idea of Bai Jiutian at the head of Qingcheng, but he's not going to believe us if we keep lying to him.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
AB>CB>BA

I must warn against trusting BJ here. I'm fairly sure he has his own agenda that goes beyond the obvious "I really like the girl". I reckon BJ is seeking a political alliance with Qingcheng, so he plans to disrupt the wedding himself. If we go along with what BJ suggests, if we take the obvious route in the upcoming decisions, we're going to be made into BJ's patsy. He's going to use us thoroughly. We can't let him gain an advantage, but neither can we allow Songfeng to be married to the Qingcheng head.

So what we need to do instead is set BJ up in a position where we can betray him. We should aim to humiliate BJ and the Qingcheng head both. So Songfeng won't marry either of the men. We should incorporate a scheme within the scheme we incorporate with BJ, and minimise personal risk while putting the brunt on our temporary ally.

We need to out Theseus Theseus here bros.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Can't humiliate Qingcheng, we need them as allies. Though I am definitely going in with a 'fuck him before he fucks us' attitude. For now, at least. It can really go both ways.

We can't afford to make more personal enemies and be a jackass anymore. It's not just about Jing.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Humiliate the Qingcheng head, I'm bad with these Chinese names. That guy, Mai? I don't want to humiliate the Qingcheng beyond what humiliating their leader would do.

I want to place BJ in a compromising position whilst still whisking the girl away from the wedding. I think it's doable with BA, although it'd require careful consideration in the next update.

Esquilax

Arcane
I must warn against trusting BJ here. I'm fairly sure he has his own agenda that goes beyond the obvious "I really like the girl". I reckon BJ is seeking a political alliance with Qingcheng, so he plans to disrupt the wedding himself. If we go along with what BJ suggests, if we take the obvious route in the upcoming decisions, we're going to be made into BJ's patsy. He's going to use us thoroughly. We can't let him gain an advantage, but neither can we allow Songfeng to be married to the Qingcheng head.

So what we need to do instead is set BJ up in a position where we can betray him. We should aim to humiliate BJ and the Qingcheng head both. So Songfeng won't marry either of the men. We should incorporate a scheme within the scheme we incorporate with BJ, and minimise personal risk while putting the brunt on our temporary ally.

We need to out Theseus Theseus here bros.

Bringing down Mao Sanjiao, either through finding proof of his illicit dealings with the Black Dragon Society or by assassination, is something that an ambitious, politically-minded BJ would prefer. Marrying Song Lingshu after we've done the dirty work of offing the Qingcheng head for him looks far better than stealing her from him after she leaves him at the altar. In the first situation, he looks like the good guy who came in to pick up the pieces and help Qingcheng, but in the latter, he looks like an asshole who came in and took this guy's woman. If he's as ambitious in his private persona as we expect him to be, he'd be delighted that we want to kill his political rival for him. The cherry on top is that we're the perfect scapegoat too.

In the vote combination that we're voting for, I could see him trying to set us up for the kidnapping of yet another innocent maiden. In any case, playing meek is probably wise right now because he could rat us out to the Sect Heads in the next room otherwise. He isn't because he wants us to do something for him.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

BA Shit, Bai will marry her then and fuck our shit up like Esquilax said. CB

In before Theseus :lambchop:
Geez. It's like being in the bathroom with Naim again. If he betrays us, I'm voting to kill every new male character we meet from now on.
(And so, female Theseus was born.)

Last edited by a moderator:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

CB - We can't win a fight here. Best to RUIN Qingcheng's rep.
In fact, they have absorbed many smaller schools, and turned them into branches of Qingcheng all over the country. They might not have the numbers of the Beggars, or the clout of Huashan, but as far as wealth and influence amongst the commonfolk go, Qingcheng Sect would rank very highly
They'll lose a lot of influence when they become a laughingstock. Makes them useless as a chesspiece for Bai and company and will probably free the girl from having to marry (what wedding would continue after that?), at least for now.

Kipeci

Arcane
Do we really want the orthodontists hounding us and making things difficult when we go for something that matters like searching for the manuals for the sake of just trolling them at this wedding? I mean, yes, it's hilarious, but how is Qingcheng something that specifically screws us up? They may be wealthy and influential among the orthodox sects, but has Jing historically been screwed over by people waving around cash and so on? He operates outside of that system so it's much harder to actually cause him harm with that money (good luck trying to use it to buy assassins from the Wudu Cult anyway) and influence as opposed to if he was an established figure in the orthodox world. Pretty much the only way he'll open himself up for problems is if he goes against a foe or a collection of foes that end up being stronger than him so that he's bested... the best way of which to accomplish here is to walk right into the middle of the wedding to call it off while so many masters and strong people are here. We don't know if we're stronger than BJ alone, let's not test against him and all the other masters at once!

As it is one of the only ways the orthodontists can cause many problems for Jing with that influence of theirs is to lean on the more Jing-friendly sects to make them close off resources to him, and you better believe that they as a group will be more focused on keeping Jing off from that stuff if he pulls walking right in on the wedding rather than a more subtle option. Weakening Qingcheng's credibility and stability isn't enough to make up for the rest of them wanting to make Jing's business more of a hassle than it needs to be if we go about this business very publicly.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
One would think that Sanjiao does not place too much stock in honor - as long as it does not help him in his own goals. Since you will be trying to get at all the Eight Sects at once, and not at him specifically, I don't see a reason why he would not proceed with the marriage - if not now, then in a week. There is a lot of money and power on the table.

And this is just after we've decided that we need to cultivate our reputation as of a more serious person and try not to burn bridges with the more BRO sects.

All in all, 1C is a shitty goal to have.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Do we really want the orthodontists hounding us and making things difficult when we go for something that matters like searching for the manuals for the sake of just trolling them at this wedding? I mean, yes, it's hilarious, but how is Qingcheng something that specifically screws us up? They may be wealthy and influential among the orthodox sects, but has Jing historically been screwed over by people waving around cash and so on? He operates outside of that system so it's much harder to actually cause him harm with that money (good luck trying to use it to buy assassins from the Wudu Cult anyway) and influence as opposed to if he was an established figure in the orthodox world.
Uh, dude. We are part of this system now. That money and, more importantly, Qingcheng can and will be used against us and our people once we officially become Firelord. Sad as I am to say it, it's time to put our YOLOTIGERING on a very tight leash and start planning ahead.

I have an idea on what to do with BJ here: if we come out of this Qingcheng situation on friendly terms with BJ, I think we can enlist his help in bring down the Douchebag Generation down. The one thing we can 100% count on is that he doesn't want them in charge, so we can definitely have him help us unravel the conspiracy from the Huehueshan side. Since we haven't told anyone, he won't find out of our Giant Flaming Faggot II status, he'll just think us the same old trollish Xu Jing. Unbeknownst to him, just as he is helping himself, he is also helping us by clearing the Cult's name and destabilizing the pugilistic sects.

Kipeci

Arcane
Uh, dude. We are part of this system now.
An entity entirely outside of the borders of China in the midst of harsh mountainous terrain is not in any way a part of the system they operate in, especially when they don't know that Jing is actually heading it up. Unless you actually think that they're going to use up all of their sect's money to buy up mercenaries to march up along with their membership to go all the way to Tibet to burn down the Fire Temple and really, really hope that the Amesha Spenta are all sick or something? And for what? Ideally with B we pull it off so that Jing isn't connected to this at all, while C declares us responsible to the whole world. Staying off the track of the orthodox so that they have less to remember us by and to look out for is in our best interests right now.

We don't know anything about what BJ really thinks about his leadership. Does he dislike them, or their actions? Does he want to get rid of them or take over their roles? Making assumptions that we can "100% count on" is kinda retarded at this stage.

Baltika9

Arcane
We don't know anything about what BJ really thinks about his leadership. Does he dislike them, or their actions? Does he want to get rid of them or take over their roles? Making assumptions that we can "100% count on" is kinda retarded at this stage.
These guys are totally snubbing him and building up a bullshitter like Manxing to be of his caliber. Jing could see the displeasure rolling off of Bai in that meeting, I'm pretty damn sure that Wuxing is tryingto marginalize the dude because of his ambitions. Yeah, I'd say that we can always count on BJ's ambition. He wants the crown of the pugilistic world.
Uh, dude. We are part of this system now.
An entity entirely outside of the borders of China in the midst of harsh mountainous terrain is not in any way a part of the system they operate in, especially when they don't know that Jing is actually heading it up. Unless you actually think that they're going to use up all of their sect's money to buy up mercenaries to march up along with their membership to go all the way to Tibet to burn down the Fire Temple and really, really hope that the Amesha Spenta are all sick or something? And for what? Ideally with B we pull it off so that Jing isn't connected to this at all, while C declares us responsible to the whole world. Staying off the track of the orthodox so that they have less to remember us by and to look out for is in our best interests right now.
We, the hated and treacherous Fire Cult that has, like, six competent warriors at a time and the rest being cannon fodder, hold one of the three legendary manuals in our monastery. The Ameshas are preparing themselves for an assault on the fortress and, honestly, with things being the way they are right now, the Orthodox Sects don't need much of an excuse to march up the mountain and start slaughtering our faction. Yeah, redeeming their rep is pretty important if we want to make theirs and our lives easier.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Look at what Wuxung does. The conversation BJ had with zhang is quite telling.

Kipeci

Arcane
These guys are totally snubbing him and building up a bullshitter like Manxing to be of his caliber. Jing could see the displeasure rolling off of Bai in that meeting, I'm pretty damn sure that Wuxing is tryingto marginalize the dude because of his ambitions. Yeah, I'd say that we can always count on BJ's ambition. He wants the crown of the pugilistic world.
And he hates us, too. I think he's probably willing to work with us on this, but let's not go so far as to talk about '100%' anything, when that'll set us up for butthurt later. This would be an alliance of convenience if it goes through and nothing more, we should do well to keep that in mind.

We, the hated and treacherous Fire Cult that has, like, six competent warriors at a time and the rest being cannon fodder, hold one of the three legendary manuals in our monastery. The Ameshas are preparing themselves for an assault on the fortress and, honestly, with things being the way they are right now, the Orthodox Sects don't need much of an excuse to march up the mountain and start slaughtering our faction. Yeah, redeeming their rep is pretty important if we want to make theirs and our lives easier.
Remind me of how busting in on a wedding and setting the orthodox world against us even more is a way of redeeming our rep? The options aren't 'clear up that the Fire Cult didn't poison anyone' or 'not that', what we need to do is chill out and stay far, far away from yolotigering and keep a low profile. Any notion that we're going to be lifting that suspicion from the Fire Cult when blood has been shed and the plotters have had years to dispose of evidence and solidify their power seems rather idealistic to boot

The orthodox attack when it comes will require a ton of negotiation, manpower and will not be coming as a surprise. The pirates knew very well that the orthodontists were gearing up to attack them well in advance; given the nature of such an expedition, it won't come as a surprise to us either. They will require some excuse to make a harsh expedition into Tibet, even if a flimsy one, and we're going to see that published well in advance.

Money matters a great deal. What do you think Mao Sanjiao pays his Black Dragon Society contacts with? Yeah, we might be in good with the Wudu Cult, because their definition of "profit" is more broad than strictly money, but there are a million ways to make a ton of wealth, influence and huge grassroots support among the populace a world of shit for Jing. We might not dabble in the world of money, but these guys do for a reason, and it's because it works for them. Just because we personally don't have much of a need for it doesn't mean it can't be used to hurt us.

What I'm against is deciding that because this particular sect has money, a decent number of people and is well regarded we should throw away all other concerns to try to sabotage it as much as possible, particularly when the means of sabotage in choice seems to harm only the long-term stability of the group rather than the immediate facts that they're rich as hell and so on. If anything, I think that Jing storming in with C and making a ruckus will cause them to actively devote some of those powerful resources to causing trouble for Jing when we really don't need it.

The main thing protecting the Fire Temple is that they still think that Ahura is alive and probably recovering. This lie is pretty much our first line of defense. The section here that I bolded is exactly what they're going to do if they eventually discover that Ahura is toast and that the Wuxiang Qiankun Skill is up there. They're going to gather all their money, resources and manpower together, then go on a campaign towards Tibet. These guys know that the Amesha Spenta are the real danger in our sect, and that if you throw enough numbers at them, eventually they will die.

Even a Great Pugilist can't fight off an army:

So the best option is to emulate Ahura as much as possible in the sense of becoming an overwhelming badass so that we have that warding off effect, and the best way to do that is to pursue the other manuals... and the best way to do that is not to cause trouble with the orthodox who hold documents that will give us some leads on where to start! Crashing a wedding isn't going to destroy their huge cash reserves or significantly dent the public goodwill, is it? That still leaves everything else in place for that mercenary army you seem so sure that they're going to march up their despite the massive, ridiculous costs that that would entail.

You have to remember that the orthodox sects aren't strong enough to properly establish order too far out from the mountains and cities that they're located at. It will require extraordinary circumstances and costs for them to justify launching a campaign that cross borders to another country entirely with some of the harshest terrain in the world; that alone will vastly reduce the number advantage that they possess. The orthodox sects are not likely to approach this as one particular sect's thing but as a group; weakening Qingcheng specifically while antagonizing the others all at once would not significantly damage a unified effort but it would contribute rather heavily to them collectively deciding that Jing is an asshole who should be put down, even more so when they figure out that those foreign fire guys are now following him so that he has his own dangerous sect.

That's fair. We are really putting the cart before the horse, but we do know that Nie Wuxing being declared as leader of the Eight Sects did come as a shock to him. Given his stellar reputation, it isn't all that unreasonable to conclude that he wasn't thrilled by it.

I thought it was pretty well established that Nie is still stronger than BJ? I mean, the guy's a master for a reason, even if during the fight he stuck to the sidelines. He's still a powerful pugilist in his own right and he has years of experience backing him up. BJ may have greater potential than him, but he's not stronger for now and it shouldn't really be a surprise that a master gets the nomination over someone who's still his pupil, should it? I saw him as being shocked by the turn of events or else the speed at which it happened, not so much by a shock at himself being passed over.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom